RC Enthusiast

2600kv vs 2200kv temps on 4s

I live in south Louisiana and it's above 90-95 degrees 10 months out of a year, so I'm always battling overheating. I have a hobbywing 2600kv motor in it right now, and I run it on 3s without problems. Although, I want to run 4s and I'm kinda concerned about temps. Is there a big difference between 2600kv and 2200kv when it comes to temps on 4s? Would it be worth it to spend 80 bucks on a 2200kv motor? Thanks in advance

KV is only one piece of the puzzle.

Are you talking about two motors that are the same size or is the 2200kv motor larger than the 2600kv motor? Are you planning to change your pinion and/or spur size? If the motors are the same size and have the same specs, other than KV, then the 2200kv will run cooler with the same gearing, but your car will also have a slower top speed. If you end up gearing up to make up for the slower top speed, then you will probably break-even in terms of motor heat output.

If the motors are different sizes, then you are almost always better off going with the larger motor when it comes to minimizing motor heat, but of course a bigger motor will probably make your ESC heat up more... If you have a nice overpowered ESC, then it shouldn't matter.

4S is a lot of power for a car like the Rustler 4x4 however. With the 2200kv on 4s, despite being lower KV, you might even be able to get away with gearing down while maintaining the same top speed as the 2600kv on 3s. That would help lower your heat output even more.

In addition to the great explanation of GotNoRice; when you deliver the same amount of power with a higher voltage and a lower current, you probably have less heat dissipation, because heat production almost always increases when currect increases.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Enthusiast
    I generate no heat on 3s with 20/40 gearing. I have a 4268 2600kv in it right now. if I would put a 2200kv it would likely be a 4276 size motor. I have a 150 amp ESC which is more than I need for 4s. the only heat I'm worried about is motor heat.