RC Racer

Revo making strange noise

A few weeks ago I noticed my Revo 2.0 starting to make a funny noise under heavy throttle/high speeds. It almost sounds like a supercharger whine. I pulled the whole thing apart to re grease the diffs a few days ago and checked out all of the drivetrain and everything seemed fine and I didnít notice any binding or anything. The only thing I didnít look at was the pinion/spur and Iím starting to think this could be the source of the noise. Iíve honestly never even looked at it and it still has the factory preset adjuster in there.

Hereís a few short videos where you can hear the sound pretty clearly.

https://youtu.be/m1-rwbwBk1g

https://youtu.be/vFLmCB8c1UM

Sounds like your motor is going. Pull your motor and see how well it spins by hand with the spur gear still on. Have you been monitoring motor temps? These things are notorious for failing under heat load. Be careful going full speed until you get it fixed...stories of folks at full speed having a motor fail, lock up, then send the truck cartwheeling a long ways. Can also cause gear damage if it fails at speed. If under warranty still contact Traxxas for a replacement.

RC Racer
    Spit ballin here but if youve got nothing obviously with your pinion/spur maybe check out differentials and take an air compressor over it and make sure that its all clean ive had dust build up make a high whine like that in a few of my cars whether it be the fan motor or the trucks motor or sometimes squeaky stiff hinge points... not saying those are your issues, obviously its while youre under throttle so you can map it to the drivetrain or motor pretty easily which part indeed would be the question! Lol

I hope you figure it out maybe even pull your motor and (wear a glove and hold very tight or clamp it) do a bench test just rolling into the throttle to see if its in there before you tear your whole truck apart looking. DONT just hammer the throttle on while holding it that could end in a bad way the torque is insane hahaha some get on it slowly if you try it.

Sent from my SM-T827R4 using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by RICK DIZZLE View Post
    Sounds like your motor is going. Pull your motor and see how well it spins by hand with the spur gear still on. Have you been monitoring motor temps? These things are notorious for failing under heat load. Be careful going full speed until you get it fixed...stories of folks at full speed having a motor fail, lock up, then send the truck cartwheeling a long ways. Can also cause gear damage if it fails at speed. If under warranty still contact Traxxas for a replacement.
    Hahaha yup you posted as i was finishing up my slur there, the motor hit me as i was finishing up and had to add that snippet about bench testing at the end as thats where i would start.

Lol! Yeah only reason I am so sure its motor, my brothers E Revo 2.0 did it after only a few runs...made the EXACT same noise before it seized up. Opened it up and rotor and stator were toast.

RC Racer
    Thanks guys. Yeah I have the Traxxas link app with the motor temp sensor and I have the alarm set to 170 and I never take it over that. It’s been making this noise for probably 2 months now, hasn’t gotten better and hasn’t gotten worse. No storage drivability issues, all the temps and amp draw on the app are good. I’ll start with pulling the motor and see if I find anything there. I’m sure it’s not under warranty, it’s about a year old now. Really doesnt have that many hours on it though.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by RICK DIZZLE View Post
    Opened it up and rotor and stator were toast.
    Have seen and heard this exact situation many times on a my smaller scale motors and would definitely expect the same here unfortunately.

Edit: A few of these times it was obvious by turning the motor by hand as it felt like sand was inside this was my reedy 3300kv it essentially cooked itself to charcoal it went from (according to my temp gun) 150ish to 200 degrees in a drag (against my 2.0 lol) i didnt seize but it did whine pretty bad just at all times.
    Last edited by Xzinten; 11-13-2019 at 11:31 PM.

Kind of sounds like my motor I had in mine, just a bit louder. It howled at WOT. My motor/esc first came from my v1 erbe (mxl-6s/castle 2200kv). The esc died on the 3rd 6S run in the 2.0 chassis. I replaced the esc with an old rebadged MMv1.

I just dropped in a new motor (blx 2050kv) and geared it up from a 16T to 18T pinion, but haven't had a chance to run it yet.

You could hear the howl here @32 seconds during a WOT pull trying to backflip:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgH7deQGl3A

I only replaced it because I wanted to try something with a little lower kv to see how it felt. The 2200kv motor ran pretty warm.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Racer
    I’ll pull it apart tonight when I get home from work and check it out. If the motor is shot I’m not gonna be happy at all. This thing only has a couple of hours of runtime on it and it’s had the motor temp sensor and alarm at 170 since day 1.

RC Racer
    Yep it’s the motor. I’ll call traxxas and see if they will help out any.

RC Racer
    Just got off the phone with them, I will say they are very friendly and helpful, they said to send the motor back to them and they’ll see if it’s repairable and if so they’ll fix it, but if it needs to be replaced it’ll be the warranty program price which I believe is half off.

Very frustrating that this thing died because it has had everything done right for it since day one, but at least traxxas does have a program to help out.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by justin13703 View Post
    Just got off the phone with them, I will say they are very friendly and helpful, they said to send the motor back to them and theyíll see if itís repairable and if so theyíll fix it, but if it needs to be replaced itíll be the warranty program price which I believe is half off.

Very frustrating that this thing died because it has had everything done right for it since day one, but at least traxxas does have a program to help out.
    Theyre pretty cool, i had my esc go bad out of the box they would have gladly replaced jt for free but i had replaced the traxxas connectors with my own so the offered me 50% off... I personally went with castles mamba monster 2 instead as it cost the same.

RC Enthusiast
    I just want to confirm that the Traxxas Velineon 2200 motor is garbage. I seized up four of those things in the last few months. The last two motors to be destroyed were always run with YR fans and never got hot at all. They only survived a few packs. This would never happen with Castle motors. I'm now running a Castle 1515 2200 kV and no issues so far. It's nice that Traxxas support is helpful, but I'd way rather have reliable parts than be on the phone, shipping to TX, truck undrivable for weeks.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
    I just want to confirm that the Traxxas Velineon 2200 motor is garbage. I seized up four of those things in the last few months. The last two motors to be destroyed were always run with YR fans and never got hot at all. They only survived a few packs. This would never happen with Castle motors. I'm now running a Castle 1515 2200 kV and no issues so far. It's nice that Traxxas support is helpful, but I'd way rather have reliable parts than be on the phone, shipping to TX, truck undrivable for weeks.
    Do you need a new esc to run a different motor?

RC Racer
    No as long as it sensorless and has (or you could ad) the right bullet connectors. Just plug it i n and check the directions not backwards (slow very slow lol) if it turns backward switch 2 wires... yes any two lol and try again you should be good.

Edit: Admittedly im assuming the vxl6s doesnt have a sensored mode in it.... somone correct me if in wrong here lol.
    Last edited by Xzinten; 11-15-2019 at 08:45 PM.

RC Racer
    I don’t think the vxl6 supports sensored motors but I probably wouldn’t get one anyway

RC Enthusiast
    Do you need a new esc to run a different motor?
    The Castle 1515 is very close to the same motor, same bullet connectors etc, and so works with VXL-6s. The reverse/brake/forward transitions are a little more touchy, with Castle 1515 for some reason. However for speed runs, bashing, general zooming around it works great.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
    The Castle 1515 is very close to the same motor, same bullet connectors etc, and so works with VXL-6s. The reverse/brake/forward transitions are a little more touchy, with Castle 1515 for some reason. However for speed runs, bashing, general zooming around it works great.
    Awesome. I’ll see what they say when I send it to them and might give the stock one more shot but if it does it again I’m ditching it for sure

RC Racer
    So, I haven’t gotten around to sending my motor in yet, but I decided tonight to open it up and see what I find. There was a little bit of something in the tail end of the casing, but nothing was discolored or anything. Also the armature (I believe is what it’s called) to me looks pretty good and doesn’t look nearly as bad as the other failed motor pics I’ve seen on here. What do you guys think? I can’t for the life of me figure out how to upload pics so I took a short video of the inside of the can and the armature. Is it worth replacing the bearings of is a new motor in order?

https://youtu.be/0g6391gMNiI

RC Racer
    Anybody out there? Lol

Sorry man...been working like crazy with the holidays coming up. How much is Traxxas gonna charge you for the replacement? Me personally, I would just get it checked by Traxxas and see what their verdict is. If they say replacement and its a reasonable price, swoop it and run it. If it fails after that it would be under warranty. Or go the Castle route.

Also get the Tapatalk app...makes uploading pics a breeze!

RC Racer
    The price they gave me for a replacement motor is about the same as what they’re being sold new on eBay for, so I might just spend a couple bucks on a set of bearings and try it. If that doesn’t fix it I might just pick up a new one from eBay. I just don’t wanna go through the hassle of shipping stuff out and having to sign for it when it gets back unless I have to.

RC Racer
    Have a pair of hybrid ceramic bearings coming for the motor. For 10 bucks shipped it was worth it to see if the bearings are the cause of this noise. If not, I guess next step is just to replace the motor.

RC Racer
    Forgot to update this, but the bearings made no difference. Sound is still there. I have literally no clue what’s causing it because the inside of the motor looks good and has new bearings now. Only thing I can think of is that it is somehow out of balance. So I guess I’ll be buying a new motor. Not anytime soon, pretty aggravated about it so I’m gonna let it sit for a while until I feel like fixing it.

RC Competitor
    Forgot to update this, but the bearings made no difference. Sound is still there. I have literally no clue whatís causing it because the inside of the motor looks good and has new bearings now. Only thing I can think of is that it is somehow out of balance. So I guess Iíll be buying a new motor. Not anytime soon, pretty aggravated about it so Iím gonna let it sit for a while until I feel like fixing it.
    Did you bench test the motor? Pull it away from the spur and carefully spin it up to full speed (wear gloves) to see if it makes the noise while not under any load?

Sorry, did not see any reply where you confirmed this of not.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by gusd2 View Post
    Did you bench test the motor? Pull it away from the spur and carefully spin it up to full speed (wear gloves) to see if it makes the noise while not under any load?

Sorry, did not see any reply where you confirmed this of not.
    Yeah I did that before and after I replaced the bearings. Just held the motor in my hand with nothing attached to it and gave it the beans. Thing sounded like a fire truck siren

RC Competitor
    Yeah I did that before and after I replaced the bearings. Just held the motor in my hand with nothing attached to it and gave it the beans. Thing sounded like a fire truck siren
    That sucks. Sorry for your bad luck.