RC poster

Hey! New guy here. Got some questions, hope you can help.

New to the Traxxas world. My 9 yr old son has wanted a Slash for a while now so I told him if he saved his money, mom and I would pay for half. So, we picked up a Slash 4x4 a couple weeks ago. Needless to say itís been a blast, so much so, I bought another one last week but got a 2 wd. Iím a die hard Hotrod guy (I have a 54 Belair) so of course Iím instantly ready to modify.

My question is, what is a good LiPo battery that wonít break the bank for my 9 yr old for his truck?

For me Iíd like to upgrade to LiPo because I want to do the monster mod on mine. Or will it run ok with the regular NiMh ? Iíll be upgrading to a brushless motor/esc combo, tires etc.

Will I also need to change my gearing if I install the Proline 2.8 Trenchers ? It did come with an extra gear set when I bought.

Also, let me know pros/cons on anything Iíve mentioned.

Sorry for the winded post but I know thereís a LOT of very intelligent people on this forum ! Thanks in advance for responses.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RexSr View Post
    New to the Traxxas world. My 9 yr old son has wanted a Slash for a while now so I told him if he saved his money, mom and I would pay for half. So, we picked up a Slash 4x4 a couple weeks ago. Needless to say itís been a blast, so much so, I bought another one last week but got a 2 wd. Iím a die hard Hotrod guy (I have a 54 Belair) so of course Iím instantly ready to modify.

My question is, what is a good LiPo battery that wonít break the bank for my 9 yr old for his truck?
    SMC packs are top quality and sold at a reasonable price. Just make sure the ESC is in lipo mode, and ALWAYS unplug the lipo when the truck is not in use. The ESC will continue to draw power when it is not on, and will run the pack down to the point to where the charger will not charge it.

For me Iíd like to upgrade to LiPo because I want to do the monster mod on mine. Or will it run ok with the regular NiMh ? Iíll be upgrading to a brushless motor/esc combo, tires etc.
    NiMH packs are not terrible. The trick to them is not running them down to the point where your truck cannot move, this over discharges them, causing heat stress, which destroys the pack. When the truck suddenly has half power at full throttle, the pack has dumped, and it is time to stop running. Unlike the older NiCDs, NiMH do not retain a memory, and do not need, or should they be completely discharged.

With that, the VXL system is friendly to NiMH, just about any aftermarket brushless system are not NiMH friendly, and will try to draw more power than NiMH and deliver, and will heat stress the pack and hamper performance. Going lipo is a good investment for your RC hobby, and are not any more dangerous than any other battery chemistry. They do require a bit more care and feeding to maintain them properly, but the added power, run time, and reliability are more than worth it. The two biggest things are to make sure your ESC is in lipo mode, and to balance charge.

Lipos have a C-rating, which is basically how much amperage they can deliver. Recommend getting packs with a C-rating of 50 or higher. Don't worry about getting a C-rating that is too high, your ESC (via your throttle finger) determines how much amperage is pulled.

Also, do not leave charging batteries unattended. I have never had a problem (knock on wood), but I keep welder's gloves and a fire extinguisher near my charging station.

Will I also need to change my gearing if I install the Proline 2.8 Trenchers ? It did come with an extra gear set when I bought.

Also, let me know pros/cons on anything Iíve mentioned.

Sorry for the winded post but I know thereís a LOT of very intelligent people on this forum ! Thanks in advance for responses.
    Yes, you should gear down for larger tires. That extra pinion gear is for speed runs only, and nothing you'd want to put on with your 2.8 tires. Your best friend here is a temperature gun. You don't need anything super accurate, the $10 one at Harbor Freight will do just fine. Whenever you make changes to your drive train it is a good idea to take temps on your motor, ESC and battery every five minutes or so for the first pack or two of normal running to make sure your truck is happy with the changes you have made. In most cases, your motor temps should be < 160 deg/f.

Drive train: Anything that rolls... Motor, ESC, battery (going up in voltage), pinion/spur, tire size, drive shafts, transmission, slipper clutch, bearings.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC poster
    Thank you Greatscott !