RC poster

Tire options for the Maxx?

Look for what tires and wheels fit the Maxx aftermarket. On road tires and off road tires.

Who makes them and where can I find some?

RC Racer
    I would watch the amain hobbies video they show what tires you can put on it. There is a lot of options.
    His Glory Alone all the way to the grave.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by scottm1978 View Post
    Look for what tires and wheels fit the Maxx aftermarket. On road tires and off road tires.

Who makes them and where can I find some?
    These 2.8 sand paw works great with extensions.
    2-REVo 3.3
    1 summit
    2-XMAXX
    And many others

RC Qualifier
    Anyone have any pics of the stock Maxx wheels compared to the 3.8 badlands? The original badlands, not the MX38ís. They seem like they may be a good fit.

Even the stock E-Revo 2.0 wheels look a little tall and wide, the MX38ís and trenchers look way too big, perhaps too big even if there were wider arms.

The original 3.8 badlands look like they might be a good balance. Slightly taller at 5.85Ē and 2.72Ē wide (canít find the width spec of the stocks)

Maybe around 6Ē high is a good size for the Maxx?

Hate to say it... but arrma's 4S series wheels/tires are lower profile of their 6S tires. They are 17mm as well. I believe the 4S kraton wheels are 1/2" offset and the 4S outcast are 0 offset, so may need extensions for those. They run a 3.8" wheel, but the sidewall is thinner/shorter than their 6S versions. They tend to be very light as well, at least the 6S ones are.

They were the first tires/wheels I thought of when I saw the new maxx running:
    https://jennysrc.com/products/arrma-...a-lp-ara102690
    https://jennysrc.com/products/arrma-...s-lp-ara102692
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

RC Qualifier
    Just double posting that last post here too. I became a bit confused between the stability thread and this tyre option thread...

I had a look on FB and quite a few people using the original 3.8ís. Reports are that it helps the roll overs.

Not my pics, donít know how to link to FB, find it terrible to use, just saved and reposted here, credit to original posters.

Also saw the Wide Maxx toe links listed. Hope the wide mod is available ASAP.

https://traxxas.com/products/search?keyword=8997

RC Qualifier
    Just seeing if a link works. Good size comparison between wheels...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2367...730797?sfns=mo

I really wonder why traxxas went with those wheels/tires on that thing. Why not go with a more traditional 3.8"? They have 4 or more styles of their own 3.8's to only come out and use a strange 2.8" with a short course type tire (taller outside sidewall than inner sidewall). Was that to add cushion? Just to be different? Or was there some other reason behind it?

RC Qualifier
    I would be great to know the plan hey. Iím sure there is a lot of reasoning behind it though, we just donít know it yet. Perhaps to differentiate it from a forthcoming E-Maxx 2.0? Who knows?

Looking at that pic again, there seems room for a proline offering between the OG badlands and the MT size.

Maybe the E-Revo 2.0 wheels will be a decent balance on the Maxx once we get the wide arms?

I think thatís the balance Iím looking for on the Maxx chassis, wider arms and a bit larger wheels, but not so far as the Proline MX38 size and weight.

The e-revo 2.0 tires are super heavy too. They weigh more than my 3.8" trenchers. I wouldn't want to run those on a truck as light as the maxx appears to be. That's a lot of rotating mass for it to deal with.

Proline MX 3.8's weigh 14.6oz per tire/wheel
    Proline trencher X 3.8's weigh 13.6oz
    Proline trencher 3.8's weigh 13.4oz
    Talon EXT 3.8's weigh 14.2oz

The 2.8 trenchers look more like the size of tire on the maxx, those are only 7.1oz.
    Traxxas 3.8" talons are 9.1oz!
    Traxxas t-maxx 3.8's are 11.5oz.

I have a running list of all the ones I ran/run and what others I can confirm weights on.

RC Qualifier
    Wow. I did not know they were that heavy! I had just gone on past experience with the Traxxas tyres ending up much lighter than the proline equivalents. That really throws it all in a new light!

Thanks for posting the chart too. That is a great resource. Especially a huge thanks for putting the weight in grams as well, thatís a big help!

And yes, definitely agree that going that big adds a lot of mass that is most likely not the best thing to keep the Maxx agile.

So itís looking like the OG badlands are the ones sitting in the Goldilocks zone at the moment hey? Any other contenders?

OG 3.8" Badlands are on sale at amain.com, $41/premount pair. I picked up a whole set.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

RC Qualifier
    Sweet! Thanks for the heads up!

RC Qualifier
    Traxxas is coming out with a wide kit so u can put revo wheels on

RC Competitor
    did those fit the 17mm hex? I looked on prolines site and only saw the sand paws in 2.8 for stampede which is a 12mm hex

Am I correct in understanding that wheel hub extensions are necessary to run standard 2.8 rims (assuming they're 17mm)? I'm considering getting a MAXX pre-roller off eBay, and am trying to determine if I might be able to use a set of Proline F-11 2.8" 17mm wheels that I've had in a storage bin for a few years, to be paired with some discontinued Super Swamper 2.8's (which I'd intended for a Slash MT build that never manifested). Trying to keep the costs down as much as possible, since I have most of the electronics needed, and possibly an alternative body.

RC poster
    Hi all. Tire options you say. Here are some. If your wanting to see what they actually look like. Just send me a request. And i will throw them on. Now i'm in the desert. So these are a softer compound. but you can get a harder compound if so desired. Here you go.

RC Competitor
    *bump*

Now that Maxx has been out for a while, what's your experiences?

Looking at Pro-Line, they have 1/8 scale tires with the 17 mm hexes the Maxx uses that are generally too big in outer diameter and 1/10 monster truck tires with 12 mm hexes that are generally too small. I'm thinking of gearing down anyway, so I'm leaning toward 1/10 and since the hexes are removable now, just get the optional 17 mm hexes.

The one in exception in 1/8 is the Trencher LP, which is only 1/10" bigger in diameter than the stockers, but is probably heavier.

I'm leaning toward 1/10 Badlands, maybe belted, with the 17mm hexes added on.
    -Jeremy
    TRX-4|BL Summit|St4mpede|Aton|Maxx|Slash

RC Competitor
    Deleted duplicate post
    -Jeremy

RC Competitor
    rcdabbler: Good luck with the alternative body. (it's a latch-on, so you'd have some major adapting to do for anything else)
    -Jeremy

RC Champion
    Sledgehammer tires for the Maxx >come with stronger\better wheels
    fabricator

RC Champion
    My favorites are still the 1st gen 3.8 badlands. I also run cheap 8th scale truggy tires. The offset on a truggy wheel isnít much, but I have the wide kit so it still works well.

Most every other 3.8 wheel is too wide / big / heavy. I think this is the case not just for the Maxx though, but for most 8th scale vehicles. Iíve always preferred lighter tires that donít cause crazy wheelies, stripped hexes, and drivetrain damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arrma has a couple low profile tires they run on their 4S line now. Backflip LP and Minokawa LP. Pretty sure they still run their 3.8" wheel, just a lower profile tire on them. They also have the katar's off the regular talion which are relatively narrow and low profile.

I was thinking of trying them on my stampede 4x4, but since they are zero offset, not sure they will work, even though I have +6mm adapters on it.

The 2.8" trenchers I'm running on it now are 1/2" offset I think, the hub is flush (or nearly flush) with the back side of the wheel.

EDIT:
    Sorry, I posted about the 4S tires/wheels already. Forgot until I scrolled up and saw me repeating myself. lol!
    Last edited by olds97_lss; 09-10-2020 at 01:28 PM.

RC poster

Wide Maxx

Quote Originally Posted by Albie72 View Post
    Traxxas is coming out with a wide kit so u can put revo wheels on
    I have a new Maxx and put the wide maxx kit on it. I put a set of the E-Revo wheels on it and it rubs the A arms and can't be used. I was very dissapointed. Trying to find a set of wheels with larger diameter tires that won't rub. Screwy design.
    Kato

RC Racer
    I run giant proline badlands mx38 belted tires which makes it an off road beast. I have the wide maxx kit, splined hexes, metal driveshafts and run the stock gearing on 3s. This combo has worked great for me so far and my maxx can climb almost any curb with ease with these tires..

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyXMAXX View Post
    Sledgehammer tires for the Maxx >come with stronger\better wheels
    Really? I run sledgehammers (TRX 8973), the wheels look the same as my stock wheels? 🤔

Or is the material different in some way?
    Live life to the Traxxas Maxx! 💪🏻

RC Competitor

Quote Originally Posted by whoflungpoo View Post
    Got a link to those? Guessing they are 2.8's? Look like 17mm with 1/2" offset as well.

RC Champion
    When first received the sledgehammers
    They rims seemed stiffer than the stock rim
    Now not so much
    So far no cracks on the sledgehammers rims

Beat ‘em real good
    Last edited by CrazyXMAXX; 10-09-2020 at 05:29 PM.
    fabricator

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    Got a link to those? Guessing they are 2.8's? Look like 17mm with 1/2" offset as well.
    pretty much exact lol

Duratrax Hatchet MT Belt 2.8" Mounted Front/Rear Tires .5 Offset 17mm Black (2)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Duratrax-Ha...YAAOSwwBZfbe-T

Quote Originally Posted by whoflungpoo View Post
    pretty much exact lol

Duratrax Hatchet MT Belt 2.8" Mounted Front/Rear Tires .5 Offset 17mm Black (2)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Duratrax-Ha...YAAOSwwBZfbe-T
    I wonder if their foams got any better. I bought some 2.8" hatches a few years ago for my eJato and after a couple months, the foams were trashed. Felt like nothing at all was in the tire. A couple separated and had flat spots by then as well. The tires and wheels were decent though. They weren't the belted ones.