RC poster

Can you have too much weight on the wheels?

Can you have too much weight on the wheels?

My rims and tyres weigh just under 200gs and am adding about 80gs for the total 280gs per wheel. Im not planning to add any other weight i.e. portal covers etc. These are going on a TRX4 sport with a Holmes Hobby motor either a 27 or 45 T 550 size . Standard spur and 15t pinion with the hobbywing 1080 ESC.

RC Racer
    I weighted the front tires on my sport using the sticky weights inside the tires, 5 on each side. I could actually see the slower turn speed when I held the front tires off the ground and twisted the steering control. Worked great while crawling up steep inclines. However, toasted a steel geared 2075 servo after a couple of weeks. I have since went with a higher torque servo and removed the wheel weights. I mounted a pair of the front portal cover brass weights.

It really depends on what you are after, and how you drive.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Racer
    The downside to adding weight to wheels is the motor being loaded with higher rotational resistance. That also means slower acceleration and braking, along with the extra motor wear. Ive never weighed my full wheel assys but switching from stock to steel was noticeably more drag on the throttle response.
    For unsprung addons, I would add portal weights before wheel weights. All the benefits, none of the drawbacks.