RC Racer
    [Typewriter noises] . . . Somewhere in the Eastwest . . .

Question Smallest Pinion Gear?

What is the smallest pinion I can get to mesh with my 90 tooth spur? I'm getting about to glue up my first set of tires and don't want to burn my Titan up.

Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    How much bigger than stock are your new tires?
    I think the stock Stampede XL5 has 16/90 gearing and that is the same transmission as the rustler/bandit With biggger tires. A 14 or even 13 should be fine. I don’t know if you would need to go much smaller than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Is_It_Broken? View Post
    What is the smallest pinion I can get to mesh with my 90 tooth spur? I'm getting about to glue up my first set of tires and don't want to burn my Titan up.

Thanks!
    Pretty sure the stock pinion is a 16 tooth. Are you putting larger than stock tires on? If you go with very large tires, youíll probably need a smaller pinion, but Iím not sure you can go smaller than 16t.

Thereís a flat locator plate (black plastic maybe?) in between the motor and the gear case. This might prevent you being able to fully spin/adjust the motor location when using a smaller pinion. You can definitely remove that, if thatís the case.

Personally, I havenít had great luck with the titan 12t motor. If you are wanting to run larger tires, might also be a good idea to order a spare motor. Theyíre around $20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RC Dad View Post
    Pretty sure the stock pinion is a 16 tooth. Are you putting larger than stock tires on? If you go with very large tires, you’ll probably need a smaller pinion, but I’m not sure you can go smaller than 16t.

There’s a flat locator plate (black plastic maybe?) in between the motor and the gear case. This might prevent you being able to fully spin/adjust the motor location when using a smaller pinion. You can definitely remove that, if that’s the case.

Personally, I haven’t had great luck with the titan 12t motor. If you are wanting to run larger tires, might also be a good idea to order a spare motor. They’re around $20.

If you are going to go smaller you will have to remove that black plate he is taking about ( if your truck has one installed )

RC Racer
    I know how, but thank you for the large amount of information. I'm getting a set of 5 inch plus tall tires, and would like to know what the smallest pinion I can fit is, because they are heavy as well as tall. I am not worried about losing speed, because they will not be spinning like the stock tires. If anyone can tell me if a 12t or 11t pinon will fit, I would appreciate it.

RC Racer
    Has anyone tried to gear down very far, or am I going to have to risk it? I suppose that I could drill the gearbox out if it doesn't fit, but I would prefer not to.

Quote Originally Posted by Is_It_Broken? View Post
    Has anyone tried to gear down very far, or am I going to have to risk it? I suppose that I could drill the gearbox out if it doesn't fit, but I would prefer not to.
    I donít think you can find a pinion gear any smaller that 11 or 12t. That said, if youíre putting on 5Ē diameter tires, you should be ok. Just keep an eye on your motor, ESC, battery temps.

Just to answer the OP's original question, you can go as low as an 8T pinion with the stock 90T spur.

Due to the range of movement in the motor mount the sum total of the teeth of the pinion and spur gears must be between 98 and 115 if using 48P gears and between 66 and 76 if using 32P gears.
    Pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the RC car