RC poster

MONSTER slash 4x4 motor esc question

Hi I am new to the forum. I owned an e revo 2.0 but sold that and converted a slash 4x4 to a monster slash. Currently Iím running badlands mx28ís, aluminum hub carriers all around, mip x duty driveshafts, tekno center driveshaft, traxxas big bore shocks, rpm shock towers, and new bearings. The electronics in it are old. It has an hpi flux esc and a new castle 1512 1800kv motor. Both are around 10 years old by now and itís time for a new motor and esc. I was running 13-18/54 gearing but the motor got pretty hot . My gear mesh was perfect too and the car ran smoothly. I only run ONE SINGLE 3s battery. Ive been eyeing the hobbywing max8 2200kv ezrun combo. I plan on running it with 20/54 gearing and one 3s battery. The max8 esc looks like itís meant for a dual battery set up, but is it possible to just use it with a single 3s battery and get around 40-55 mph?

RC Qualifier
    2400kv on 3s geared 50/20 will get you scooting along quite nicely without heat issues.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

RC poster
    That’s what I’m looking for, something to get my speed up and beat down. With the max8 esc even though it’s a dual set up, could I use it for a single battery without any power loss?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigtim29 View Post
    Thatís what Iím looking for, something to get my speed up and beat down. With the max8 esc even though itís a dual set up, could I use it for a single battery without any power loss?
    No you can't use a single battery with the max8

RC Enthusiast
    The VXL-3S should do a fine job of powering a 2400Kv motor. There are plenty of people here running that combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MaXDee View Post
    No you can't use a single battery with the max8

Why not? Is it not possible to just use a jumper on one connector? And if not why?

This is confusing me since the ESC has no way to know how many batteries are connected just the number of cells.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    Why not? Is it not possible to just use a jumper on one connector? And if not why?

This is confusing me since the ESC has no way to know how many batteries are connected just the number of cells.
    I agree with this

RC Qualifier
    Yep, just replace the dual battery harness and use just 2 wires and one connector. Should work just fine that way. As for motor/esc combo, the castle creations mamba x and 2400kv motor seem to do a good job in the slash 4x4 even if itís been converted to a MT.

Ive been eyeing the hobbywing max8 2200kv ezrun combo. I plan on running it with 20/54 gearing and one 3s battery. The max8 esc looks like itís meant for a dual battery set up, but is it possible to just use it with a single 3s battery and get around 40-55 mph?
    Make sure that you get a nice battery if you are going to really push your gearing on 3s. When you start getting into 1/8th scale systems, you quickly get to the point where 4s becomes ideal. When you use 3S and try to make up the difference via gearing higher, it's going to end up trying to pull a lot more current/amps from your battery. This is even more true with a Slash 4x4 MT as it is heavier than something like a Stampede 4x4 or a Rustler 4x4.

This is what my Stampede 4x4 looked like running 18/54 with a 1415-2400kv Castle and a Mamba Max Pro (immediate predecessor to the current Mamba X, same number of FETs): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTmMRiArNug

I also tried to gear up all the way to 22/54 with that combo. With that higher gearing, the truck was noticeably more sluggish off-the-line and that also ended up being the only time I've ever destroyed a LiPo from pulling too much current.

When I converted my main Stampede 4x4 to a Slash 4x4 MT, using that same motor/esc, I actually geared down to 17/54, but because the conversion made my truck heavier, I started to hit thermal shutdown on the Mamba Max Pro if I ran the truck for extended periods. I upgraded to a Mamba Monster X and 1515-2200kv motor, went back to 18/54, and it's been great so far. I run a mix of 3s and 4s. Both are fine but it won't always wheelie on 3s. Definitely wakes up a bit on 4s.

One very important thing that I have not seen mentioned at all is how you are going to use your truck. Are you doing speed runs on the street, or are you plowing uphill through dead weeds? Where you run your truck and what your goals are will be what ultimately determines what electronics, motor, and gearing will be right for you.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by GotNoRice View Post
    Make sure that you get a nice battery if you are going to really push your gearing on 3s. When you start getting into 1/8th scale systems, you quickly get to the point where 4s becomes ideal. When you use 3S and try to make up the difference via gearing higher, it's going to end up trying to pull a lot more current/amps from your battery. This is even more true with a Slash 4x4 MT as it is heavier than something like a Stampede 4x4 or a Rustler 4x4.

This is what my Stampede 4x4 looked like running 18/54 with a 1415-2400kv Castle and a Mamba Max Pro (immediate predecessor to the current Mamba X, same number of FETs): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTmMRiArNug

I also tried to gear up all the way to 22/54 with that combo. With that higher gearing, the truck was noticeably more sluggish off-the-line and that also ended up being the only time I've ever destroyed a LiPo from pulling too much current.

When I converted my main Stampede 4x4 to a Slash 4x4 MT, using that same motor/esc, I actually geared down to 17/54, but because the conversion made my truck heavier, I started to hit thermal shutdown on the Mamba Max Pro if I ran the truck for extended periods. I upgraded to a Mamba Monster X and 1515-2200kv motor, went back to 18/54, and it's been great so far. I run a mix of 3s and 4s. Both are fine but it won't always wheelie on 3s. Definitely wakes up a bit on 4s.

One very important thing that I have not seen mentioned at all is how you are going to use your truck. Are you doing speed runs on the street, or are you plowing uphill through dead weeds? Where you run your truck and what your goals are will be what ultimately determines what electronics, motor, and gearing will be right for you.
    I run on street, grass, dirt, mud, and itís pretty hilly where I live. Thank you so much for the info. If Iím gonna run it on 3s , should I run 18/54 instead of 20/54?

I run on street, grass, dirt, mud, and itís pretty hilly where I live. Thank you so much for the info. If Iím gonna run it on 3s , should I run 18/54 instead of 20/54?
    18/54 should work well, and does for me with my truck even when really pushing through tall grass, weeds, and up hills. My personal philosophy is that it's a monster truck, not a race car. I like more low-end torque as opposed to being able to go super-fast in a straight-line. Though make no mistake, even on 3s, 18/54 should be plenty fast at full throttle. You might buy a handful of cheap Traxxas pinions of various sizes and simply experiment with various gearing. Then, when you settle on a pinion size that works for you, eventually buy a nice Robinson-Racing hardened-metal pinion that will basically last forever.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by GotNoRice View Post
    18/54 should work well, and does for me with my truck even when really pushing through tall grass, weeds, and up hills. My personal philosophy is that it's a monster truck, not a race car. I like more low-end torque as opposed to being able to go super-fast in a straight-line. Though make no mistake, even on 3s, 18/54 should be plenty fast at full throttle. You might buy a handful of cheap Traxxas pinions of various sizes and simply experiment with various gearing. Then, when you settle on a pinion size that works for you, eventually buy a nice Robinson-Racing hardened-metal pinion that will basically last forever.
    Yeah I am using a hot racing steel 54t spur currently and plan on getting an 18 tooth hot racing steel pinion.