RC Enthusiast

Upgrade to the stock Ultra Shocks

During some routine maintenance on one of our slashes we found a bent rear shock shaft. Ordered a set of TiN coated replacements and new oil on all 4 corners. This got me thinking about possible upgrade to Big Bore or GTRís. The big bores donít appear to gain much other than aluminum bodies as only they donít increase the Bore and stroke over the ultras. The GTRís look to be the way to go, but are they really worth it. The ultras have served us well, plenty of ability to tune with different oil weight, springs, and piston combinations. Iíve also looked at some of the aftermarket ones, but like the fact that I can get parts both at home and on the road for the ultras at almost any hobby store that carries Traxxas. Wanted to see what the group is running and thought from experience. We mostly bash, run on our rough wooded backyard track, or run a track day at a hard clay track for a rainy beach day.

Slash 2wd x 2
    ĎPede 4wd x 2
    Rustler VXL 2wd
    Ford GT 4tec

RC Qualifier
    Personally I love the stock plastic ultra shocks. They just need the alloy caps and the Ti nitride shafts.

The stock shafts are really weak, they bent all the time, but Iíve never bent a Ti nitride one.

I also have the GTRs and they are awesome. I do like the VG racing springs on them.

As you say the big bores are actually smaller than the ultras.

If you have liked the ultras, and have heaps of tuning options for them, then Iíd say they will continue to serve you even better now with the new shafts.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the response Boosta....glad to know that I’m not the only one who thinks the ultras are good general purpose shocks after a few modifications. Definitely allows for more modifications/repair dollars vs having to upgrade right away to GTR’s.

The Ultras are great for the money spent. I still keep them on my Slash 2wd and see no reason to upgrade them yet.

RC Qualifier
    GTRís are well worth a go whenever you feel like it too, theyíre definitely awesome.

What I love about the ultras is they keep the truck weight down as a whole too. I like how the lighter weight makes them zippier to drive and reduces breakages.

I do run a heavier oil in them, around 60/50 F/R, and like that for off-road bashing. Theyíre pretty comparable to the GTRs on lighter rigs with the heavier oils I reckon.

GTRs probably come into their own once the truck gets heavier though, ie 1/8 electronics and 3-4S 5000mAh lipos.