Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    3

    Rustler 4x4 vs E Revo 1/16 VXL??

    Just getting into RCs. Haven't had one since I was probably 13 (I'm 33 now). I've done a little bit of research but thought you all would have better input. I am considering either the Rustler 4x4 ($299) or the E Revo 1/16 VXL ($249) solely based on price range and kit completeness (no extra expenses for batteries, chargers, etc..). Not sure if this is going to be a regular hobby or something I get over after a few months so I don't really want a big upfront expense.

    What are thoughts on these two trucks?

    Is there another one I should consider for around $300 (including battery and charger)?

    Pros and Cons of 1/16 vs 1/10 scale?

    Brushed vs. Brushless?

    Thanks for any help!!

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier USMC1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Greeley, CO
    Posts
    521
    I would highly suggest the Rustler 4x4 VXL. The 1/16ths are fun little cars but they do not do very well in the medium or long grass...they do fine in very short grass, dirt and pavement though.

    IMHO the two best Traxxas vehicles out of the box are the Rustler 4x4 VXL and the Maxx. Both are durable, fast, fun and are all-around good trucks for bashing. The Rustler does better for handling and the Maxx does better in the jumping/stunt department. Admittedly both are above your stated budget.

  3. #3
    RC Qualifier GotNoRice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    273
    I think 1/10th scale is really a great size, and also the most popular. 1/16th scale is fun, but too small in too many situations. 1/8th scale is getting borderline too big, they break easier because they are more heavy, and quickly become money pits when you start upgrading/replacing parts. 1/10th scale is still light enough to be very durable, handle big jumps and crashes, and cheap to upgrade/replace most parts.

    The Rustler 4x4 is a great truck, and it's hard to go wrong with that choice. But to really nail it down, we need to know more about your needs and your goals. What surface are you going to run on? Do you want maximum speed in a straight-line on pavement or do you want to be able to plow uphill through tall grass?

    Brushless is better in just about every way, but that puts most cars out of your price range. Brushed mainly exists at this point because it's cheaper, and allows for cheaper vehicles. You could potentially start with a Brushed Rustler 4x4 and eventually upgrade it to Brushless. On the flip side, I don't know many who regretted spending the extra money for a 4x4 VXL up front.

  4. #4
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    3
    Thank you! I know my budget is a little low for any Traxxas model, but like I said, I don't know if this is something I'm going to get into or something I give up after a few months. More than likely I will be running on my street, mowed lawns, and possible some gravel lots.

  5. #5
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    83
    I'll state it up front: I have zero experience with the 1/16 eRevo. I do have experience with the (non-VXL) Rustler 4x4, the VXL Rustler 4x4, and the 1/8(-ish) eRevo2.0.

    I'd suggest that GotNoRice kind of hit it on the head: 1/10 is a good size. If you were never going to be using 'Lawn' as a surface, and the gravel lots that you have in mind are small-stone, well-packed and smooth, then maybe the 1/16 size should be in the mix, but honestly, if the lawn you are considering driving on is not golf-green short, even the 1/10 Rustler 4x4 (brushed or brushless) can start to get bogged down a little (and cause the motor and ESC to run 'hot'). On the other hand, the 1/16 size should transport well, and requires smaller, slightly less expensive batteries (and I'm assuming that spare parts are a bit less expensive too? Not sure on that one)

    In a vacuum, the Brushed Rustler 4x4 is a pretty awesome bit of kit (especially if you pair it with a 2S LiPo battery... it just does not drop-off in the same way that the NiMh batteries do). Is the Burshless version faster/better? Well, yea... but you won't really know what you are missing until you start driving your car along-side one with a brushless system. Again GotNoRice got it right IMHO: As far as "overall value" goes; getting the VXL from the start is the better deal. However, as a "don't wanna spend too much", "getting your toe back into the hobby" option, I think that the brushed Rustler 4x4 is a good call if you wanna buy New with a Traxxas warranty. I will warn you that "upgrading" the Brushed Rustler 4x4 to VXL-spec (assuming that you want to get all the goodies: TSM, etc) later-on is going involve $$ that will make you REALLY wish that you'd just gotten the VXL up-front. Purchasing used can be a good-value-option, but it also has potential pit-falls. You pays your money, and you takes your chances.

    Good Luck, and I'm sure that you'll have fun with whichever option you decided to go with. --BillJ

  6. #6
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    san diego cali
    Posts
    49
    1/16 scale is fun on a budget, I have an $80 Redcat volcano18 brushed that accelerates harder than my rustler VXL on 3s lipo, but you can't take 1/16 scale to any jumps or races. It's a toy car for the neighborhood

    I like 1/10 scale, it is right there between Hobby and toy, but you can't do a good 10th scale on a budget. If your plan is 300, be prepared to spend 1000

    8 scale and bigger is dork mode, if your RC car is nicer than your real car then you got your hobbies mixed up

  7. #7
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    san diego cali
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by evansmd View Post
    I will be running on mowed lawns
    RC cars are terrible on lawns, plus they tear The Lawns up

  8. #8
    RC Qualifier USMC1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Greeley, CO
    Posts
    521
    Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegan View Post
    1/16 scale is fun on a budget, I have an $80 Redcat volcano18 brushed that accelerates harder than my rustler VXL on 3s lipo, but you can't take 1/16 scale to any jumps or races. It's a toy car for the neighborhood

    I like 1/10 scale, it is right there between Hobby and toy, but you can't do a good 10th scale on a budget. If your plan is 300, be prepared to spend 1000

    8 scale and bigger is dork mode, if your RC car is nicer than your real car then you got your hobbies mixed up
    I guess I don't need to worry about that! Lol

    I disagree with the 1k thing though...5-600 is more reasonable.

  9. #9
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    san diego cali
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
    I disagree with the 1k thing though...5-600 is more reasonable.
    500-600 is very reasonable but not realistic . I bought a rustler 4x4 VXL for $370 three weeks ago. Now I'm 850 deep. The factory Traxxas shocks are garbage, Factory Traxxas axles are garbage

  10. #10
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    942
    The factory shocks are necessarily garbage. Tune them and add aluminum caps and they work quite well. As for the axles I have really no experience with the new rustler 4x4 axles, but will say that I am still on my stock axles on an older HCG slash 4x4. Learning good throttle control will help keep from breaking them that is for sure. I have to agree with OP, $5-600 is a great price point when you include a 2s lipo and a charger, maybe even a 3s as well. Iíve had my HCG slash 4x4 for quite a few years and it a work horse for me. I donít have a rustler 4x4, but can imagine they are pretty durable vehicles. I would however get the VXL model from the get go and save yourself some loot in the end. Youíll eventually want the brushless setup and it ones with the other parts already upgraded as well. JMHOís.

  11. #11
    RC Qualifier USMC1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Greeley, CO
    Posts
    521
    Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    The factory shocks are necessarily garbage. Tune them and add aluminum caps and they work quite well. As for the axles I have really no experience with the new rustler 4x4 axles, but will say that I am still on my stock axles on an older HCG slash 4x4. Learning good throttle control will help keep from breaking them that is for sure. I have to agree with OP, $5-600 is a great price point when you include a 2s lipo and a charger, maybe even a 3s as well. I’ve had my HCG slash 4x4 for quite a few years and it a work horse for me. I don’t have a rustler 4x4, but can imagine they are pretty durable vehicles. I would however get the VXL model from the get go and save yourself some loot in the end. You’ll eventually want the brushless setup and it ones with the other parts already upgraded as well. JMHO’s.
    Yup! I replaced the shock caps and have never had any other problems with the Rusty! Well, I did break an A-arm once but that was when I put a 3s in it. My tendency of not putting max batteries in these things keeps them from breaking.

  12. #12
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    942
    A wise choice about the batteries. Iíve only ever ran 2s in my HCG slash 4x4. And it has never gave me an issue. And this is with the older 2 pole velenion motor. I know a lot will say itís not that much fun on 2s, but Iíve had mine up nearly 50mph setup as a buggy and geared up. At any rate, like you said USMC, using lesser batteries then what max is, itís a great idea and I couldnít agree more!!

  13. #13
    RC Qualifier USMC1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Greeley, CO
    Posts
    521
    Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    A wise choice about the batteries. I’ve only ever ran 2s in my HCG slash 4x4. And it has never gave me an issue. And this is with the older 2 pole velenion motor. I know a lot will say it’s not that much fun on 2s, but I’ve had mine up nearly 50mph setup as a buggy and geared up. At any rate, like you said USMC, using lesser batteries then what max is, it’s a great idea and I couldn’t agree more!!
    It's good to know someone else agrees!

    All one has to do is read enough threads here and a theme will emerge. It goes something like this: I just got XYZ and I want to hop it up even though I haven't even driven it stock yet...okay I replaced ABC with DEF and found the biggest QRS I could find and stuffed it in there...I took it out and it burned-up/broke/stripped ...geesh! Traxxas makes crappy trucks!

    Ah, no...you took a perfectly good Traxxas truck and turned it into crap and now want to blame Traxxas.

    I call it Tim Tayloring...that's what he always did.

  14. #14
    Marshal Double G's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,565
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
    It's good to know someone else agrees!

    All one has to do is read enough threads here and a theme will emerge. It goes something like this: I just got XYZ and I want to hop it up even though I haven't even driven it stock yet...okay I replaced ABC with DEF and found the biggest QRS I could find and stuffed it in there...I took it out and it burned-up/broke/stripped ...geesh! Traxxas makes crappy trucks!

    Ah, no...you took a perfectly good Traxxas truck and turned it into crap and now want to blame Traxxas.

    I call it Tim Tayloring...that's what he always did.

    Remove "Traxxas" and replace it with Ford, Chevy, Honda, Dodge, Toyota, etc. You see it all over the forums, Facebook and all other social media - that transmission couldn't handle the power. The axles keep snapping. The engine blows to easily.
    The Super Derecho

  15. #15
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    942
    Agreed and agreed!! Both have great points!! Leaving things stock most donít want and when they do hop things up, like said, things break!! Then they blame it on the vehicle LOL!! Iíve not broken a thing on my slash 4x4 on 2s. Even though it wonít do 60mph or more, itís a blast for me to drive and I donít have to worry about tearing it apart having a good time!! Servos and a set of shocks and my slash kicks butt and always comes back for more. I truly have to agree with what both of you gents have posted. Itís amazing how things such as this work and then the vehicle is to blame cause it wouldnít hold up to something it really wasnít designed for!! Well said to both you gents!!!

  16. #16
    RC Qualifier GotNoRice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
    All one has to do is read enough threads here and a theme will emerge. It goes something like this: I just got XYZ and I want to hop it up even though I haven't even driven it stock yet...okay I replaced ABC with DEF and found the biggest QRS I could find and stuffed it in there...I took it out and it burned-up/broke/stripped ...geesh! Traxxas makes crappy trucks!

    Ah, no...you took a perfectly good Traxxas truck and turned it into crap and now want to blame Traxxas.
    Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    Agreed and agreed!! Both have great points!! Leaving things stock most donít want and when they do hop things up, like said, things break!! Then they blame it on the vehicle LOL!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    Itís amazing how things such as this work and then the vehicle is to blame cause it wouldnít hold up to something it really wasnít designed for!! Well said to both you gents!!!
    I'm not sure what threads you guys are reading but I personally have not seen any trend of people blaming Traxxas when parts break as a result of their own upgrades. Plus, even trucks in their stock form on 2s are usually still fast enough to break certain parts.

    There is nothing wrong with taking a conservative approach to the hobby and sticking with mostly stock parts. There are also plenty of us where part of the appeal of the hobby is to be able to upgrade and tweak things without the kind of financial investment you might have with something like a real car. There is a right way and a wrong way to do just about anything. I upgraded my trucks intelligently and now I have both a Stampede 4x4 and a Slash 4x4 Monster Truck that are bulletproof even on 4S. Upgrading the vehicles was a big part of the fun for me.

  17. #17
    RC Qualifier USMC1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Greeley, CO
    Posts
    521
    Quote Originally Posted by GotNoRice View Post
    I'm not sure what threads you guys are reading but I personally have not seen any trend of people blaming Traxxas when parts break as a result of their own upgrades. Plus, even trucks in their stock form on 2s are usually still fast enough to break certain parts.

    There is nothing wrong with taking a conservative approach to the hobby and sticking with mostly stock parts. There are also plenty of us where part of the appeal of the hobby is to be able to upgrade and tweak things without the kind of financial investment you might have with something like a real car. There is a right way and a wrong way to do just about anything. I upgraded my trucks intelligently and now I have both a Stampede 4x4 and a Slash 4x4 Monster Truck that are bulletproof even on 4S. Upgrading the vehicles was a big part of the fun for me.
    Nothing wrong with that either...I'm referring to those that have to Tim Taylor everything.

  18. #18
    Marshal Double G's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,565
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
    Nothing wrong with that either...I'm referring to those that have to Tim Taylor everything.
    Some here probably were born after this show went off air and don't know the reference...
    The Super Derecho

  19. #19
    RC Qualifier USMC1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Greeley, CO
    Posts
    521
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Some here probably were born after this show went off air and don't know the reference...
    LOL, true...I doubt it would matter if they did though. We'll just keep that between us old guys...

  20. #20
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    83
    For those not watching American TV in the 90s:
    Tim Taylor is a fictional character on the American TV Show 'Home Improvement'. The reference that USMC1984 makes is to the Character's tendency to 'UpGrade' everything to the point of complete absurdity (the show is a comedy, after all).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_I...nt_(TV_series)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ers#Tim_Taylor

    :-)

    --BillJ

  21. #21
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
    LOL, true...I doubt it would matter if they did though. We'll just keep that between us old guys...
    Ooops.

    --BillJ

  22. #22
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    san diego cali
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    The factory shocks are garbage. Tune them and add aluminum caps and they work quite well. I have really no experience with the new rustler 4x4 axles, but will say that good throttle control will help keep from breaking them that.
    Very confusing post. In any case, if you're telling me that your stock Traxxas axles have lasted you for 5 years then I don't trust anything else you say

  23. #23
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    10
    While I don't have a Rustler 4x4, I do have a HCG Slash 4x4 and a 1/16 Revo. The 1/16 Revo can be fun under the right conditions, but the Rustler 4x4 will be more versatile and certainly has the advantage of more tire options. I have to be careful with my 1/16 Revo or I'll strip out the rear differential. When that happens, throwing it onto the workbench and getting to the differential isn't a quick process. It's also imperative to be mindful of how to best shim the differentials. Comparatively, the only issues I periodically have with my Slash 4x4 is that small grains of dirt will work their way into the gearbox and kill the spur. Thankfully, it doesn't take long to pop off the rear assembly and make the change.

  24. #24
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Denver, Co.
    Posts
    1
    I just recently was in the same quandary trying to decide between getting a Rustler 4x4 VXL versus the 1/16 E-Revo VXL.

    I know this is not quite the same, the budget that I felt would be a reasonable start was about $600. After looking at the cost of parts, batteries, chargers, etc.. I decided on the 1/16 E-Revo VXL since I had other items needed purchased to get into the game. So far I have close to my budget spent to get extra batteries (1 matching for the included, 1 Lipo, and 2 MNHI from Venom), a nice charger, tool kit, and some hop ups.

    With the cost of the Rustler 4x4 VXL at the local shop I would be able to get a battery, and a charger along with taxes.

    I am excited though since I have wanted an RC car since I first saw a Kyosho Inferno back in the 90's. I finally decided it was time to take up RCing as a hobby.

    Hope this helps.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •