RC poster

New Rustler 4x4 VXL issue

Hi all, please be gentle as this is my first post,
    I have just received Rustler 4x4 vxl for my birthday from my wife, I’m pretty experienced in the rc world but I just have a little issue.
    I used my car properly today and it stopped working made a funny noise then started again Then I did a big jump and it stopped working again for good.
    So I took it home and the small cog off of the motor had fallen off ( the small grub screw had fallen out). This must have been the initial problem where it must have moved down the piñon of the motor.
    So do I put lock tight on the grub screw or not? Also the large cog has a little damage should I replace it straight away or do you think it’s still ok to use?
    I have ordered a replacement just in case.
    Thanks sorry for waffling on.
    Sam.

RC Qualifier
    Replace the large gear called the “spur gear”. Make sure there is no damage to the small gear that goes on to the motor, known as the “pinion gear”, replace it and Yes, use loctite, and allow 24hrs at min. For it to cure. The spur gears are plastic and are cheap to replace.

Good advice from 222. Might I suggest you invest in some good hex drivers(if you don't already have some,I use MIPs)........the tools that come with the truck are marginal at best. Good drivers will allow you to get that grub tight without stripping it. Good luck!!
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Qualifier
    Completely second the MIP hex drivers, well worth every penny!! I use both MIP and also RDS hex drivers. The MIP line of hex drivers are very well made and will last a very long time. Like said, the ones supplied with the truck will end up either stripping the screw head or the tool itself. And without much force!! Pays to get good hex drivers from the get go. You’ll save yourself a lot of headache if you do. Only need a couple sizes for the entire truck. Check the owners manual for what sizes come with it and order those sizes. Best money you can spend as far as I am concerned!!

RC Enthusiast
    What kind of damage does the big Cog have? If it's just on the edges, no big deal. If all the teeth are stripped then toss it.

I agree with these guys on nice tools, swallow the cost now, you'll feel better later

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    Check the owners manual for what sizes come with it and order those sizes.
    For 4x4 vxl u need 1.5mm, 2mm, 2.5mm, 3mm

RC poster
    The big cog only has a edge gone where the piñon gear was sliding off, there are no lost teeth, luckily!
    I have ordered a replacement large cog, just Incase, and I picked up some loctite this morning����

Straight after I post this I will order some decent hex drivers, thanks very much for your help.