RC poster

4x4 ultimate servo upgrade

I’ve had my slash 4x4 Ultimate for a while now and I’ve done some basic mods like axles and aluminum wheel hexes, along with motor and esc fans to keep everything cool on hot days. I’ve upgraded all I feel is reasonable for the moment in terms of go power, but I want to upgrade my steering. I’ve been looking at Traxxas servos, mainly the 2250 and 2255. At the moment I’m running the 2075r and I’ve realized that the 2250 has more torque, but is slower than the 2075r and the 2255 requires a BEC, which I don’t believe fits in the Slash receiver box. I’ve heard people like SavŲx servos (specifically the 1211), but I’m not familiar with them. Along with this I would like to get some aluminum bell cranks and ditch the servo saver. If you have any suggestions could you try to include links to the products. Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    I run the savox 1258tg in all my 4wd Vxl-3s traxxas, the vxl-3s esc seems to handle it fine, very fast with plenty of torque even with 2.8 mt tires.

RC Competitor
    Iíve upgraded all of my Slashes to the ST Racing Aluminum bellcrank. Itís been a solid performer for me.

https://www.amazon.com/RACING-INC-Al...ix=strc&sr=8-3

For servo, Iíve gone with the Power HD LW-20MG Waterproof High Torque Metal Gear, which has been affordable and also a performer.

https://www.amazon.com/Power-HD-LW-2...hd+serv&sr=8-3

Overall, Iíve got this combo in 4 Slashes, 2 configured for speed runs, the other 2 as off-road bashers with 2.8 Trenchers. No issues at all.

RC Racer
    I donít know what you are running but I know the CC MMX has a BEC. I bought the metal Savox gears to go in the 2075. And the bell crank I have is the HR aluminum bell crank with the saver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Savox used to be the common answer to "upgrade" to but their prices are not much better than other higher quality servos and also tend to be power hungry. I look not only at the torque and speed but also the power that the servo consumes at idle and stalled; if that power is more than the internal BEC can handle then you can have brown-outs and need to run either an external BEC or a glitch buster.

My nitro Revo runs a Promodeler steering servo and as a $5 insurance I put in a glitch buster. It is a great performer - strong (2.25x more power but slightly slower than the single 2075 it replaced), centers every time and never had an issue with a brown out. It feels like a quality servo and John, the owner of the company, has followed-up many times asking how it is performing. I figure if many RCers are throwing them into their 4 - 5 figure RC planes then they must be very good.

My son's Slash 2wd runs a 2075 and works perfectly for it. If 125 oz/in did okay in a heavy Revo then it'll do pretty well in a truck 1/2 the weight and tires that are probably 1/3 the weight/size - though I wish it were faster. I run a Castle external BEC because the internal BEC in the Castle ESC is a non-adjustable 5.0v.

My Slash 4x4 has an Annimos DS3218PRO with a Castle external BEC that is quick and powerful and reportedly has decent power draw numbers. I bought it because my son's 2075 burned out and needed a replacement and I had a gift certificate/credit on Amazon to spend and figured I'd try it out. We'll see what the long-term results are but I will say that I'm impressed with the case and look of it, but some times it will center perfectly and other times it will wander.

One other person has tried out servos from RCJuice which have "performance" numbers similar to what you'd find on Amazon but the prices are a little cheaper. IMHO, many of these cheap servos look very similar and are rebadged. My next servo purchase is weighing heavily back to the Promodeler.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    Is the servo saver on the ST Racing Concepts bell crank adjustable and if so, how tight can I make it?

Thanks

RC Competitor
    Yes, it has a screw down cap so you can pretty much tighten it up to the point where it acts as a solid arm ( no servo saver action). Though, why wouldnít you want some protection for the servo?

I run the Power HD WP 23kg in my Ultimate. I also opted for the $5 glitchbuster but I doubt it's really needed. I'm powering mine with a HW WP SC8 esc. 319 0z/.12 sec @ 6 volts. This thing flips my 2.8 Trenchers around like nothing.....big step up from the 2075. Bang for the buck I think it's a solid performer and a direct drop in. Here's a link but you can likely find it cheaper elsewhere. Good luck!

https://www.amazon.com/Power-HD-WP-2.../dp/B06XBS18YZ
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl