RC Competitor

Stiffening front shock tower

Other than using aluminum, has anybody modified the front shock tower to stop it from flexing so much? Looking for ideas. The stock, and rpm towers have the rigidity of a wet noodle. If you have a solution I'd love to see pics of what you fabricated.

I've started to research this as well but it took the back burner a while ago. I have Pro-line shock towers and the front flexes a lot as well and changes the geometry of the shocks; the rear not so much. I have thought about making my own carbon fiber one....
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    Looks like I'm in uncharted territory here. Guess I'll have to bust out my welder and do some fabricating...

Quote Originally Posted by Username for me View Post
    Looks like I'm in uncharted territory here. Guess I'll have to bust out my welder and do some fabricating...
    Stiffening up the towers will definitely help you have consistent lap times, more predictability. But if you’re bashing, be prepared to be replacing more broken parts in the front end, as well as your drive train.

I had aluminum towers for a while on our basher, but recently switched back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    I never got around to it but I recall reading the nitro rustler and slash front shock towers fit the electric ones and have extra bracing on top. It’s on my list to try and see if it works.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    I never got around to it but I recall reading the nitro rustler and slash front shock towers fit the electric ones and have extra bracing on top. It’s on my list to try and see if it works.
    I may have to try this. The Slash bulkhead and body mount assembly is the same as the Nitro Slash's. The difference is the shock mount. For $4 it is not bad but I do not like the lack of various shock or linkage positions.
    The Super Derecho

Nitro vs. Electric front shock tower
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want to eliminate front shock tower flex then you need to check out the (virtually rigid) Traxxas SRT fibreglass tower part #2518. It's one of the best tuning mods I've ever made plus it's very cheap.

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/2518

You'll notice the tower is perfectly flat so to make it work you just need to make some stand-offs for the upper shock mounts. This is very easily done with some screws, washers and M3 Nyloc nuts. If your shock caps are aluminium or the plastic ones that don't have the pivot balls then you will also need the black plastic shock bushings that come with the spacers.

This shock tower is as rigid as carbon fibre but just carries a little more weight. I've had one in my race Rustler for nearly 10 years and my son did really well with it on the track in his old 2WD Slash. No doubt it's not as bashable as an RPM tower but I've never seen one broken.
    Pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the RC car

Mr. Wolf has the right idea and to add to it if you don't want to make standoffs. There are these from Jconcepts - http://www.jconcepts.net/shop/traxxa...standoff-black

RC Competitor
    Thanks for all the input, great stuff! I'm trying to find a piece of 1/8" steel plate. I'm gonna fab something. Is the fiberglass tower a direct bolt on?

Thanks for all the input, great stuff! I'm trying to find a piece of 1/8" steel plate. I'm gonna fab something. Is the fiberglass tower a direct bolt on?
    Yes it screws to the bulkhead just like the stock one.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolf View Post
    Yes it screws to the bulkhead just like the stock one.
    Thanks mr wolf.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolf View Post
    If you want to eliminate front shock tower flex then you need to check out the (virtually rigid) Traxxas SRT fibreglass tower part #2518. It's one of the best tuning mods I've ever made plus it's very cheap.

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/2518
    This looks good. Is there a rear one as well?

Quote Originally Posted by fortunespoonz View Post
    This looks good. Is there a rear one as well?
    Part #2517 was a fibreglass rear SRT shock tower but it's also flat so won't fit. The SRT had a different rear chassis/gearbox design. Flat CF rear shock towers for the Slash all use aluminium mounts like this ANZA one.

https://www.hobbytown.com/anza-rear-...za3638/p501678

I use the Protrac kit towers on my LCG race Slash. The front one has a small amount of flex but the rear one is very stiff.

RC Qualifier
    I see now. The Nitro rear tower is different, mounts different.
    I did find stampede 2WD rear towers, but in the $35-40 price range.
    Cheap like the front would have been nice...

RC Competitor

RC Competitor

RC Competitor

RC Competitor
    Finally fabricated a brace to fix the flex in the shock tower. Kinda ugly, but it functions well.

RC Competitor
    Finally fabricated a brace to fix the flex in the shock tower. Kinda ugly, but it functions well.
    hey if it works it works.

I went threw this once and stiffened up my shock towers with using a digital plasma cutting table I had access to and cut out a back plate worked great but later found out with the ultra shock caps being fixed to the shock tower (no ball ends) when the lower arms flex hard on big hits the rigid shock tower caused the shocks to not flex and I bent a shock shaft every time it took a bad hit. the new ultra shocks now come with plastic caps with ball ends and this improves them a lot. I learned for my use that flex is good rigid was great for consistent driving but got annoying with the repair time. but everyone has their needs and different reasons glad you found a fix for your problem!