RC poster

Thumbs up what tires would you recommend for the snow

hey peders what tires would y'all recommend for snow?

Quote Originally Posted by rcguy2 View Post
    Highly recommend Proline sand paws. I have them on a rustler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    ok thanks for the recommendation also wanna join my group?

https://forums.traxxas.com/group.php?groupid=299

Sure, how do I do that? When I follow that link, it just goes to another discussion...

I would say that it really depends on exactly what type of snow you are talking about. Paddle tires (such as the Proline Sand Paws) are amazing in deep snow. Like the kind of snow you would ski or snow-board on. The "problem" with those paddle tires is that they are absolutely horrible on pretty much any surface other than snow, especially hard surfaces.

Many people who run their trucks in the snow are simply running in their yards, or near their house, where we might only be talking about a few inches of snow, and where you are still going to be transitioning between multiple different surfaces perhaps including the street. These aren't optimal conditions for paddle tires.

I would personally suggest the MAXX 2.8 tires for snow:
    https://traxxas.com/products/parts/6770

They have a very tall tread pattern that functions much like a paddle tire in the snow, but not to the point where they are horrible on other surfaces.

Yeah, I’d agree with that. The paddle tires are great for loose surfaces, but they’d get torn up pretty quickly on anything hard packed.

There’s also a great video of a pro mt 4x4 driving across a long stretch of water with those. It’s a pretty amazing short video. And they throw incredible rooster tails in the light and fluffy stuff. I live in Boston, and we usually get a pretty decent amount of snow...

At this point, we have a few different sets mounted up. I REALLY like the Jconcepts choppers for all around driving.

Those Maxx tires look pretty aggressive. Have to keep those in mind for later...

Mud/tractor tires are the style I look for when looking for snow tires myself. The MAXX 2.8 are a good all-a-rounder but they tend to let you slide sideways in turns if going fast enough on snow. Still a good choice tho since most tires suffer it also.

RC Racer
    What about badlands mx28s? Would those have enough bite for snow? I just picked up a complete set

They might work but I see them getting packed with snow since the tread doesn't channel the snow out of the way or have wide gaps between the lugs. The old style of Badlands with the more BMX lugs would be better imo. Would likely work well for light snow or hard packed snow.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    They might work but I see them getting packed with snow since the tread doesn't channel the snow out of the way or have wide gaps between the lugs. The old style of Badlands with the more BMX lugs would be better imo. Would likely work well for light snow or hard packed snow.
    I’m still getting my feet wet so to speak, getting back into this hobby. There’s a lot to learn all over again Thanks for the info!

More than happy to help now and even later. Hope you enjoy your return to the hobby/addiction.

RC poster
    hey rc dad i sent you a group invite

hey rc dad i sent you a group invite
    Got it! Thanks

I really like the 2.8 and 3.8 trenchers. I have the 2.8's on my stampede 4x4 brushless and converted ejato. They stay relatively pliable when cold. The traxxas chevron tires are horrible in the winter and don't grip at all when they are cold. So while they add a "paddle" effect in snow that can get smashed down, they really suck everywhere else and are like driving on ice.

I ran my stampede quite a bit in the snow last year with the 2.8" trenchers and it did really well as long as I didn't go into too deep of snow and kept the wheel speed up.

Just make sure to put holes in the tires to let the water out as they really get out of balance otherwise.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    I really like the 2.8 and 3.8 trenchers. I have the 2.8's on my stampede 4x4 brushless and converted ejato. They stay relatively pliable when cold. The traxxas chevron tires are horrible in the winter and don't grip at all when they are cold. So while they add a "paddle" effect in snow that can get smashed down, they really suck everywhere else and are like driving on ice.

I ran my stampede quite a bit in the snow last year with the 2.8" trenchers and it did really well as long as I didn't go into too deep of snow and kept the wheel speed up.

Just make sure to put holes in the tires to let the water out as they really get out of balance otherwise.
    ok thanks for the recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    The traxxas chevron tires are horrible in the winter and don't grip at all when they are cold. So while they add a "paddle" effect in snow that can get smashed down, they really suck everywhere else and are like driving on ice.
    The only time I've ever felt like they were driving on ice is when I was literally driving on ice. The only place that generally ices over like that is the street. The 2.8 MAXX tires aren't that great for the street even in the summer.

I live at a higher elevation and we just had one of the first big storm fronts of the year move in. We got an interesting mix of snow, hail, and temps cold enough to keep it all on the ground for a while. This is mainly over areas that were previously grass, weeds, or dirt. It made for some fun bashing with family after thanksgiving. My main truck runs the 2.8 MAXX tires and I also have a Stampede 4x4 running 2.8 trenchers. The 2.8 MAXX tires did great and at least as good as the trenchers in my case.

Then again, while we do spend plenty of time below freezing (32F) here in the winter, it still doesn't get as cold here as some other places. We almost never drop below 0F and even extended periods below 15-20F are pretty rare.

I'd say that the 2.8 Trenchers have an edge over the 2.8 MAXX tires when it comes to being a better overall tire on all surfaces and all weather conditions, particularly the street, but the OP asked about snow. Paddle-tires aren't great on hard-packed ice either.

I had the 2.8 chevrons on my stampede for quite a while and while it didn't seem to be all that bad, I found out how little traction I had when I put the 2.8 trenchers on it and then constantly flipped on my roof and traction rolled everywhere I drove. Even at 50F or so, the chevrons just spun spun spun everywhere I went. It was painful when I threw a set on the rear of my e-converted jato. I had to feather the throttle forever to pick up speed or the chevrons would just spin out.

Side by side, it was very evident as to how little traction the chevrons gave me, especially when cold.

They are a good tire if you spend a lot of time on concrete/grass and it's warm out as they seem to last forever, but they do spin a lot regardless of how warm it is compared to the trenchers.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Qualifier
    Here's my winter sets of of tires.

RC Racer
    Paddle tires would be the best choice for snow, but it won't work on any other terrain other than snow, sand, and mud They get an areally nice grip into the snow, but almost none at all on hard dirt and asphalt/concrete because their surface area is so low. Most tires designed for sand or mud should work for the snow too, as they all have semi-similar properties. (soft and semi-liquid)
    Jumping: maneuver and pray it won't break.