RC poster

Making the Maxx more stable (less wheelies and roll overs)

So i've read and viewed a lot on the maxx and i'm considering making it my first traxxas. I am concerned that all its going to do is flip and roll over due to the high center of gravity. I have seen razors video where he moves the shocks to the alternate stance and changes the center diff oil setting along with the shock oil.. Has anyone else tried this or any other stability fixes?? I really like the truck but im worried its going to just be a flipping and rolling machine vs something like a kraton which has a much lower center etc

I love the body and the overall look but want to hear if anyone else has the same reservations i do or maybe some idea to make it stand a little lower and wider. I heard someone used extenders to widen the stance but i forgot where i saw it .

thanks in advance

RC Qualifier
    Itís hard to say mate. In the 1/10ís I have stampede and LCG slash 4x4 chassis which is probably a decent comparison to your query.

The stampede definitely rolls more but overall I like it best because itís just stupid to drive. I love the unpredictability of it. It also behaves differently over obstacles like tree roots etc due to the center clearance.

Yet the LCG is absolutely fantastic for its accuracy and precision. Itís hard to say because theyíre all good, which is a great problem to have!

The maxx is really intended to be a little nutcase too IMO, but could be made more stable in the ways you said, thicker shock oils, harder spring tensions, heavier rear diff oil, and different tyres that donít collapse so easy on the outside walls. I looked at the older original proline 3.8 badlands next to a Maxx and they look like they may work. Iím going to give them a go I reckon.

The maxx is also different in that itís heavy for its size. The lighter vehicles are more agile, but the maxx is a solid powerhouse. (Somebody called it a pit bull) Its just what you like at the time.

If this is your first Traxxas too, one of the best experiences in owning Traxxas is the long product lifecycle, inter model parts compatibility, and wide aftermarket / secondhand parts support. Just remember with the maxx being so new most of those benefits arenít there yet.

You may have seen the hub extenders in revo masterís Ďthe buildí thread?

Anyway mate, happy deliberating! Going over what all the different models offer is really interesting in itself.

It all depends on where you're going to drive it. On dirt, it's fine. On the street, pretty poor.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

RC Qualifier
    Frankly if one wants better pavement manners in a MT, the e revo is a much better choice. The Maxx is what a jacked up slash monster truck we all wanted.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by boosta View Post
    I looked at the older original proline 3.8 badlands next to a Maxx and they look like they may work. Iím going to give them a go I reckon.
    Please post back how these tires fit, if they rub etc... Maybe some pics too! This truck is my next purchase. I was looking at these tires at my local hobby store and trying to see how theyíd fit without opening the package and just hard to say for sure. But I think they will work too. They are smaller and narrower than the 2nd version of badlands.

RC Qualifier
    Will do, just need the funds! I had the same experience trying to compare in store. They seem the best fit Iíve seen from the proline range though.

They are a little taller so I would say there would be body trimming required. The stock tires even seem to rub a little at the front at full extension. And thats on the bench with no ballooning.

I do think the maxx will fully come to life once we have some wider arms, both for stability and also clearance for slightly taller tyres.

The maxx has basically the same ground clearance as a stampede 4x4 with 2.8 wheels. The chassis is solid as anything, it just seems to need a bit more width and tyre height to fully capitalise on the platformís capabilities.

The full MX38 size may still be a bit much even with wider arms? Maybe proline will bring out a low profile MX38? That could be interesting.

RC Qualifier
    Just to show that comparison...

RC Qualifier
    I had a look on FB and quite a few people using the original 3.8ís. Reports are that it helps the roll overs.

Not my pics, donít know how to link to FB, find it terrible to use, just saved and reposted here, credit to original posters.

Also saw the Wide Maxx toe links listed. Hope the wide mod is available ASAP.

https://traxxas.com/products/search?keyword=8997

You can also limit the bodyroll ( makes it tip on higrip surface ) by using limiters in the shocks.
    TpParts RcXtreme | Xray XT8e 2019 | MAXX 4s

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    Frankly if one wants better pavement manners in a MT, the e revo is a much better choice. The Maxx is what a jacked up slash monster truck we all wanted.
    Amen on that. Good comparison. He needs e revo with street treads

RC poster
    Amen on that. Great comparison. Yeah he needs e revo on street treads

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas P View Post
    You can also limit the bodyroll ( makes it tip on higrip surface ) by using limiters in the shocks.
    This is key... Limited my xmaxx shocks and now it handles like a truggy.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...