RC poster

Need advise with upgrading my slash 2wd

HI I have a fully stock slash and need advise for upgrading it.
    I thought about getting big bore shocks but didn't know if gtr shocks are better.

Thanks

The best way to start is deciding what you want improved on your truck, then go from there.

Big Bores and GTRs are a good upgrade to improve handling, if you have tuned the Ultra-Shocks (stock shocks) as far as you can. If you haven't taken the time to tune the shocks you have, then slapping on a set of Gucci shocks that you haven't tuned will give you little to no improvement in performance.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    How are you going to drive the truck, and on what type of terrain?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

RC poster
    I drive it on road but mostly on pretty rough terrain.

RC Racer
    I assume you have the brushed version? If so, the best upgrades IMO are a lipo battery, tires, and upgrade to brushless.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenLeader18 View Post
    I drive it on road but mostly on pretty rough terrain.
    This is a bit of an oxymoron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC poster
    this makes perfect sense to me,, There is not a parking lot anywhere near me that isn't soo beat up you can walk normal on them.

RC poster
    Wait on brushless because it's expensive. If you are on rough terrain then you will want to keep the stock chassis. Get aluminum shock caps and then learn how to tune the shocks. You can switch mounting points and ride height for different terrain I have big bores but wished I bout the GTR's. The Big bores are good but they are basically just ****** out Ultras (Aluminum bodies and caps with TiNi coated shafts). Then after that you can get into shock oils and springs. To replace stuff you can literally just wait until it breaks. But if you want it stiffer then aluminum or RPM shock towers.

RC Competitor
    with my first brushed rtr slash I had the very first upgrade I wanted was more speed and power and better handling. I ended up doing nothing to the truck and used the money to buy a used 2wd stock slash. can tell you that was money well spent. I found the slash to be a basher/racer and nothing was more fun then having a spare slash to toss to a friend so I could have another truck to race around with and jump with and crash and laugh with. I found it way better to have 2 slow trucks vs 1 fast truck.

mind you this was when I only had 1 rc now I have a fleet and that problem is no more but for new people trying rc I always recommend you buy another to play with another driver. sometimes rc can be boring after a hour of driving by yourself. when others are out with you the fun can go on and on.

RC poster
    I'm going to get the velinion 3s brushless system soon I just need to know what kind of lipo battery to get. I want good speed, but don't want to damage anything. And how fast do you think it will go with a velinion motor, 2s lipo.

RC Racer
    You can get close to 50ish mph with the right gearing on 2s, I guess. But that's only for speed runs. I run the 23/86 set up on mine. I like the traxxas brand lipos.

RC Enthusiast
    Bashednotbeat thats a great point as having a loaner/spare is always a good thing. We do 50% races where we put the ESC in training mode. Makes the race about skill and perfection over all our speed. As for first upgrades +1 on the aluminum shock caps as these are a must. Good tools (not expensive, just quality), extra battery/charger and a tool box to keep all your items in make it easier to maintain and transport.

RC poster
    the best mod I did to my slash vxl 4x4 was change to the low center of gravity chassis.
    i'm still running the old ultra shocks and its pretty solid with the LCG chassis kit. $60 bucks was worth it.