Thread: Too much power?

RC Qualifier

Too much power?

Was looking to pick up the MAXX but from all the videos I've seen on YouTube it seems the truck is so overpowered that it cannot remain on its wheels. It seems to tumble a lot, whether on landing from a small jump, or simply just cornering.
    Even with some throttle its constantly wants to wheelie...

Have you guys found this with your MAXX?
    https://www.youtube.com/iftibashir

RC Enthusiast
    The MAXX is very well behaved on 3S and the electronics stay cool. IMO, the Maxx is an awesome car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its all about, setup, and how we drive. And overpowered is something it is not,For a MT it handles GREAT.
    TpParts RcXtreme | Xray XT8e 2019 | MAXX 4s

Quote Originally Posted by IftiBashir View Post
    Was looking to pick up the MAXX but from all the videos I've seen on YouTube it seems the truck is so overpowered that it cannot remain on its wheels. It seems to tumble a lot, whether on landing from a small jump, or simply just cornering.

I only run 3s in it and yes, it's less stable than other trucks, but to me, it's a blast! It's purely a stunt truck and it's doing it hilariously well.

RC Enthusiast
    I initially chose to run mine on 3S because it was easy enough to just grab one of the batteries from my UDR for the first run. However, I liked how it performed and how I could drive it hard and still have very reasonable temperatures. I'll probably try 4S once or twice, but I think 3S is how I'll run mine. I'm not into popping long and frequent wheelies so I won't miss that characteristic. Just like with my 8S X-Maxx, I intend to remove the wheelie bar at some point so I don't have to listen to it smack the dirt when landing jumps.

Power is nothing without control. NM, that was a Pontiac commercial.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

RC Qualifier
    The maxx is a very versatile truck in how it can be used, based on what you’d like personally for your driving style and environment.

Out of the box it is geared quite high for 4S, but that means it still runs very well on 3S while being super fast on 4S.

So Traxxas has shipped it in a simple stock form, such that you can buy a 3S if you are in a tight space or 4S to give it some legs in a larger space.

That said, it is very versatile in setup when you delve into it more. 3S Vs 4S goes much deeper than just the battery.

When you consider gearing and tyres that opens up a whole new world of options. And that’s still on the stock motor... when you change the motor to a different KV that gives you more options again.

Take a look at the maxx manual section on gearing. There are 3 spurs and a bunch of pinions that work.

So, to put all that in practice for an example...

Say you want to run the original proline 3.8 badlands for more stability, have a 4S pack already, and only run in a tight spot so therefore want to lower your amp draw on acceleration and give it more punch at the same time...

You could change to the 54T spur and run a 18T pinion and be geared for a top speed of (roughly) around 40mph.

That would swap top speed you couldn’t use for more acceleration, lower temps and longer run time.

You can go here to calculate various setups...
    https://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html

These are the values for the Maxx and that scenario above punched in...

Here’s a shot of the gearing chart from the manual...

RC poster
    I think it’s all how you work that trigger, sure I know I can pin it on 3s and keep it in easy reach, but on 4s yes it will wheelie if you don’t ease into it. But it can get pretty small pretty fast just rippin down a logging road on 4s.
    If I’m jumping at a bmx track 3s is all ya need , but like boosta said if you got the room to rip ,4s is a hoot. On the verge of total oblivion at full speed is the charm of this little beast !

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the informative replies!
    https://www.youtube.com/iftibashir

RC Competitor
    been thinking of gearing my maxx down. I don't own any 3s packs and I don't think I want to buy any because I don't have many trucks that use them. most of my stuff runs 2s and 4s.

I myself think the maxx on 4s is a gas to drive but like others said I think the gearing stock is setup to allow 3 and 4 cell driving. since I only use 4s I think I am going to drop the pinion down to 20t or 22t not quite sure which one yet. I don't want to loose a lot of speed but want to take a bit of load off the motor to help temps. I drive with a lot of pulsing on the trigger. I hardly ever get my maxx to full speed unless on street so I don't think I will miss 5 or 6 mph.

Quote Originally Posted by IftiBashir View Post

It's not the power that's the problem, it's the setup. You need to setup the truck correctly to get it drive correctly. After some work, it drives pretty good. But not on asphalt.

*Watch the Traxxas bashing.*
    Last edited by Double G; 12-18-2019 at 10:36 AM.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos