RC poster

Slipper clutch vs Slipper eliminator

Slipper clutch vs Slipper eliminator
    I understand the slipper clutch will disengage so you wont strip the spur gear, and assuming that this would be a risk of using the eliminator is there any other risk of using the eliminator . Are there any benefits of using the eliminator?

I don't like slipper clutches in crawlers. I don't use slipper eliminators, but I tighten my slipper clutches down all the way so they can't slip. Doing this is essentially the same as using a slipper eliminator.

You will be fine with a tight slipper or slipper eliminator if you are a smart driver. When your tires get bound up and stop rotating just let off the throttle. If you run a weaker motor and try to power through when your tires are bound you may burn up the ESC or motor. If you have a strong motor and you try to power through when your tires are bound up you risk breaking parts.

You can test out having a slipper eliminator just by tightening your slipper clutch down all the way so that it can't slip.

The main issue with eliminating or wrenching all of the way down the slipper is breaking parts down stream. The slipper is designed to give before parts break. Typically parts will break when there is a sudden shock, like a fast RC coming off of a jump and you stab the throttle just as the back tires are hitting the ground. Due to the sudden shock, parts would break if the slipper were not there to protect them.

In most cases, a slipper is unnecessary in crawler/scaler rigs, rarely will your drive train see a sudden shock. Typically when the slipper lets go is exactly when you don't want it to, and because the part are under tension already, they are less likely to break. Of course, the more power you run through your system, the bigger the chances are that you break something. But, breakage is just your truck's way of telling you it wants an upgrade.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    But, breakage is just your truck's way of telling you it wants an upgrade.
    This has to be among the top five remarks of the last decade!