RC poster

8s esc fire , are the new replacements any better

So I was one of the guys that said what you blew your ESC you must of abused it somehow !
    my xmaxx was bought Dec 6th 2018, didn't get ran any until this spring, between work and other hobbies the truck prolly only has 10 or 12 runs on it. and 2 weeks ago poof esc smoked, called traxxas they gave me an RMA #. mailed in the electronics they requested. I got an email said they are replacing everything as a courtesy no charge .

Now yes I am happy they are replacing it , but are the new ones any better than the original ?
    3 t-maxxes,1 nitro rustler, 1 losi xxxnt several electrics and a couple of boats gotta love rc

RC Enthusiast
    My experience is yes. I bought mine in February 2019 and the esc when up in smoke in March. The replacement has run without issue since.

RC poster
    Did you guys download the latest esc firmware?

RC Racer
    Just curious what you were using for batteries, connectors
    I’m wondering about the firmware update also, debating if I want to buy the Traxxas link to be able to update

Good to see another Michigan member on here
    Last edited by Yathump; 12-04-2019 at 05:25 PM.

RC poster
    I bought a used green one from 2018. When I took it for a quick drive I noticed the touchy throttle in the neutral position that I had read about. It was almost like the throttle trim was off. After downloading the new receiver and esc firmware it was smooth as silk. Since mine was obviously well used I think failures are the exception and not the rule.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Yathump View Post
    I’m wondering about the firmware update also, debating if I want to buy the Traxxas link to be able to update

The Bluetooth module is like $40. If that helps to save the ESC, it would pay for itself for that one reason no? Also, all the functionality that it adds like training mode, endpoint adjustments, etc. are also very good. I wouldn't have a Traxxas vehicle without all that.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmaxx 8s newb View Post
    The Bluetooth module is like $40. If that helps to save the ESC, it would pay for itself for that one reason no? Also, all the functionality that it adds like training mode, endpoint adjustments, etc. are also very good. I wouldn't have a Traxxas vehicle without all that.
    I’ll probably stop by the hobby shop this weekend and see if they have one in stock

RC Qualifier
    Purchased an XMaxx about a year ago. First thing I did was update the truck via the BT module. Never had any issues with it whatsoever.
    https://www.youtube.com/iftibashir

RC Qualifier
    I bought the Bluetooth module like a month after getting my x maxx. Seem to prolong the esc failure for like maybe 12 or so runs. Then one day my stock 8s esc went unresponsive all of a sudden. Went with aftermarket esc and love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightflier x4.6 View Post
    I bought the Bluetooth module like a month after getting my x maxx. Seem to prolong the esc failure for like maybe 12 or so runs. Then one day my stock 8s esc went unresponsive all of a sudden. Went with aftermarket esc and love it!

Good to know

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Bought mine mid 17. Updated the firmware through the link app. Before update it was jerky and had nasty brake blips near neutral. After update it's been smooth as silk and stood up to hard use.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC poster
    I just ordered my Xmaxx today and I bought the module. Will I have to worry about the esc? Would they ship a $900 product with a known $150 esc issue? I'm concerned now.
    MonkeyBoy

RC poster
    I ordered the link module as well, plan to stick with traxxas electronics as long as I can. I wouldn't be concerned, just enjoy the truck and do the firmware updates.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by troybolton414 View Post
    Did you guys download the latest esc firmware?
    yes mine was all up to date
    3 t-maxxes,1 nitro rustler, 1 losi xxxnt several electrics and a couple of boats gotta love rc

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Yathump View Post

yes mine was all up to date, still had traxxas connectors, was running SMC 9200 mah , 150c lipos

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by madfrog56 View Post
    yes mine was all up to date, still had traxxas connectors, was running SMC 9200 mah , 150c lipos
    Never heard of 150C lipos from them in that size. Are you talking about the 90C batteries?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by madfrog56 View Post
    Stock gearing?

RC Champion
    Highest C rated batteries on SMC website are 75c. He must be speaking about the burst rating which is normally double the actual C rating making 75c(x2), 150c burst rating. Still sad to see he had an esc go up in smoke.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Never heard of 150C lipos from them in that size. Are you talking about the 90C batteries?

sry yes they are 90c constant, and 186 burst, the batts I have are not even listed any longer on smc website

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    Highest C rated batteries on SMC website are 75c. He must be speaking about the burst rating which is normally double the actual C rating making 75c(x2), 150c burst rating. Still sad to see he had an esc go up in smoke.
    the batteries I have are not currently listed , they are the true spec premiums, 90c constant and 186 burst

RC poster
    Now yes I am happy they are replacing it , but are the new ones any better than the original ?