RC poster

Easily adjusting Top Speed for Toddler

Hello all.

I've got myself a nice Bronco running on 3S Lipos.
    To my surprise, my 2,5 year old son is catching this VERY quickly and all the cheap toy RC-cars are now boring, and the only thing that counts is "The Bronco". He is not allowed to drive it in second gear, but even in first gear, (especially now with a fresh motor) it's still on the too fast, too powerful end of the scale.
    I have at times put it in training mode to reduce the power to 50%, this makes the speed pretty spot on, but then it becomes under-powered and rather boring for myself.
    If I buy the traxxas link, can I then somehow just easily adjust the throttle output to say, 50 or 60% and achieve what a physical limitation on the trigger would have achieved?

RC Champion
    Why not use a 2s lipo instead and leave it in regular mode. This will slow it down compared to a 3s but still have enough power to be fun. 2s lipos are not very expensive these days and will allow your son to use the truck and it still be fun for him. Just some food for thought. Here is a good 2s lipo. I recommend SMC batteries.

RC Qualifier
    Try a 2s battery instead. And if needed still than put in training mode.

RC Racer
    you could just put a piece of rubber or something at the end of the trigger that limits the trigger to a portion of the full throttle. The good thing is you can adjust how thick the rubber is and its also cheap. If you want to you could just remove it. It could be a hassle to attach and remove it constantly though.
    Running it on a 2s is also an option.
    Jumping: maneuver and pray it won't break.

RC poster
    Thanks for the replys.
    i've been thinking about 2s battery, and it's definitly a viable option. Only thing is that we are sharing the car, he drive some, I drive some, and so on. And for me, 3S and 2nd is quite fun.

But I take it then that the traxxas link won't help me much in this regard? Perhaps some sort of physical limit then...
    It would be nice if the traxxas link would let you program your own modes...

RC Racer
    You can set the multifunction knob to control throttle sensitivity , or throttle trim, which may help out making quick transitions between drivers. This can be done without the app, through the blinking light menu settings.

Or....

You could get your son his own TRX4, set it up so it is always ready for him...
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Enthusiast
    I second the Using the multifunction knob to limit throttle and use first gear. Bored go into second and crank the knob back up.

RC Enthusiast
    The TraxxasLink makes it super easy too, I dial it waaay down before letting my 3yr old drive my Rusty. Takes a quick button press in the app to turn it off and let me zip around.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Stircrayzy View Post
    You can set the multifunction knob to control throttle sensitivity , or throttle trim, which may help out making quick transitions between drivers. This can be done without the app, through the blinking light menu settings.
    Hmmmm. This what I've been wondering if was possible, But help me out. What exactly is throttle sensitivity and trim? I suppose it is the trim I would like to adjust? Then knob at full CW would be 100% throttle and full CCW 0%?
    Sensitivity is the linearity of the throttle curve?

RC poster
    ----------
    Last edited by Lantz; 12-09-2019 at 02:25 AM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Or....

You could get your son his own TRX4, set it up so it is always ready for him...
    Hehe... That would of course be the best... Can you talk to my wife?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Icehawk View Post
    The TraxxasLink makes it super easy too, I dial it waaay down before letting my 3yr old drive my Rusty. Takes a quick button press in the app to turn it off and let me zip around.
    That's also exactly what I'm after! Are you simply dialing down the throttle trim in you current mode? or can you set up custom "dad" mode and "3yr" mode?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Lantz View Post
    Hmmmm. This what I've been wondering if was possible, But help me out. What exactly is throttle sensitivity and trim? I suppose it is the trim I would like to adjust? Then knob at full CW would be 100% throttle and full CCW 0%?
    Sensitivity is the linearity of the throttle curve?
    Sensitivity setting will get you what need
    The effect is opposite though if i remember, turn right decreases response. Maybe i should go charge up a pack and see.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Stircrayzy View Post
    Sensitivity setting will get you what need
    The effect is opposite though if i remember, turn right decreases response. Maybe i should go charge up a pack and see.
    Maybe I should do the same.