RC poster

NiMH battery life

New to the forum and just purchased a used Rustler VXL 2WD.It came with an imax B6AC charger and a Venom 5000 mah 7.2 battery. Question is about the operation of the charger/battery.

I try to cycle through the various fuctions( I dont have the owners manual) to set the correct perameters for the NiMH battery and it takes aprox. 3-5 min and shuts off saying full charge. The voltage, according to the charger, never gets above say 5.4 volts. When I check with my multimeter it reads even less. Around 2 volts. So, I orgdered two new LiPO and am going to give that a try. Also, when I do try to install and run the car the steering will work, some what, and I amy get the throtle to "lurch" a couple of times before the speed control shuts down.

Is it sounding like a bad battery?
    Could the charger be the issue?

Thanks for any help.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by heydude348 View Post
    New to the forum and just purchased a used Rustler VXL 2WD.It came with an imax B6AC charger and a Venom 5000 mah 7.2 battery. Question is about the operation of the charger/battery.

I try to cycle through the various fuctions( I dont have the owners manual) to set the correct perameters for the NiMH battery and it takes aprox. 3-5 min and shuts off saying full charge. The voltage, according to the charger, never gets above say 5.4 volts. When I check with my multimeter it reads even less. Around 2 volts. So, I orgdered two new LiPO and am going to give that a try. Also, when I do try to install and run the car the steering will work, some what, and I amy get the throtle to "lurch" a couple of times before the speed control shuts down.

Is it sounding like a bad battery?
    Could the charger be the issue?

Thanks for any help.
    I won’t say for sure, but it sounds more like bad battery to me. I have used NiMH and LiPo and I have had NiMh batteries behave exactly like that when they have a cell go bad .

I agree.

Welcome to the forum. Just know that any questions pertaining to non-Traxxas manufacturers are not allowed here. You'll need to contact the manufacturer of the battery and/or charger.
    The Super Derecho