RC poster

Reviving a MERV from circa 2010

Hey RC heads,
    I was big into RC in 2009-2011 and then went off to college, got married, and recently had a kid. We ended up moving to a city and had very little space for the RC habit to manifest. Fast forward to 2019 and we've just moved into a house with a huge back yard and garage workspace and I am itching to get back in the game.

Everything has been stored well and kept dry. Everything on the MERV is stock and I have a dual battery charger. I attempted to charge the batteries and take it out for a spin but the charger signaled it was done and started trickle charging. Plugged them in and the MERV came to life for about 10 seconds. It seems like everything works but the power. How long do batteries last? I'm trying to figure out if I need new batteries, a new charger or both. Is there a way to check the charger or the batteries?

I'm thinking I'll be frequenting this sub often as I find new issues. Thanks for being awesome guys.

RC Qualifier
    Welcome back to the hobby and welcome to the forum.
    I have a Merv I got last summer that currently needs a new steering servo. It is a fun little truck .
    There are plenty of helpful and knowledgeable people here to help you with future questions tm

RC Qualifier
    The batteries are probably toast. They don't last long and if you didn't keep them stored correctly. They would not of made it. I know my nmhi batteries never worked well after a 5y in storage. Lipos need to be at a set voltage I think 3.8v per cell. For storage. https://www.smc-racing.net/ has the best batteries IMHO. I got 2 for my Merv I would go with lipos now. Prices have made it much more reasonable since 2010 when I got into RC. May have to get a new charger for them as well. As u have to have a lipo charger.

Make sure your esc has low voltage detection on it. It will say it on the ecs if it does. If running lipos

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Ok good to know. I remember starting to look into Lipos in 2010 and they seemed like they were still pretty volatile and expensive so I’m glad to hear they are more accessible now. Are most folks running 2s in parallel? I’m mostly just bashing so no need for extreme speed. Anything else to be aware of for running Lipos? Just check for low voltage detection and get a charger and have fun?

The old NIMH batteries don't die from storage but do need some cycling to revive. They will of lost some of the mah tho. A charger with an auto cycle feature may bring them back. 2s in parallel is the most common way I see the MERV used. Just switch the ESC to Lipo mode for the LVD and you should be good to go with a new lipo.