Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Hex extensions

  1. #1
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Wilmington,nc
    Posts
    142

    Hex extensions

    Im looking to widen my rustler vxl 4x4....has any one done this? Im kinda looking for an extension of some sort. Id like to keep to the 12mm stock hex....thanks guys....

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier Panther6834's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    817
    Although it's not designed for the Rustler 4x4 (or any Traxxas vehicle, for that matter), Hot Racing does some wheel hub extensions, w/12mm hexes, designed for Axial vehicles. They come in 15mm, 18mm, & 20mm versions (widening the stance by 30mm, 36mm, or 40mm, respectively).

    In converting my Rusty to a "true" stadium truck (which runs standard 2.2" stadium truck wheels), I used the 15mm versions. If you check my Rusty-Frankie" thread, you'll see them. So far, I've only our two 2S packs on it, but it's preformed outstanding (and, that's running a HW XR8 Plus ESC & 4300kV motors on 56T/14T gearing).

    ~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

  3. #3
    RC Champion zedorda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    S.E. Michigan
    Posts
    1,175
    There is a small downside to using hub extensions. Anything more than 10mm-20mm total 5mm-10mm per wheel will put enough added stress on the hub bearings to have noticeable increased wear. Buying a set of high quality bearings will minimize the effect. But if you stay within the "10mm-20mm total 5mm-10mm per wheel" range it will be near unnoticeable.

  4. #4
    RC Qualifier Panther6834's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    817
    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    There is a small downside to using hub extensions. Anything more than 10mm-20mm total 5mm-10mm per wheel will put enough added stress on the hub bearings to have noticeable increased wear. Buying a set of high quality bearings will minimize the effect. But if you stay within the "10mm-20mm total 5mm-10mm per wheel" range it will be near unnoticeable.
    The bearings were replaced with Avid Revolution Aura, turnbuckles were replaced with Lunsford Ti parts, & the 'Ultra' shocks were replaced with GTRs. Additionally, the plastic carriers, C-hubs, steering blocks, & hexes were all replaced with Traxxas aluminum parts, whole the plastic servo saver was replaced with an STRC aluminum servo saver.

    There are other parts that were either replaced (such as the T-Bone VX4 front bumper), or added (such as the VG Racing chassis brace, & T-Bone chassis skid)...about the only remaining stock Rustler 4x4 VXL parts are the chassis pan, A-arms, rear bumper (well, part of the rear bumper), center driveshaft, and plastic battery "strap" (there might be a few others, but I'm 'blanking' right now.

    As it stands, my Rusty is race-ready. If I can find narrower extenders, or wider hexes, that still allow the use of the 2.2" stadium truck wheels (without hitting the steering blocks, or rear carriers)...or, if you could recommend/suggest any...I will, most certainly, consider them. Until then, my only option is to use the current 15mm (per side) extenders.

    ~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

  5. #5
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    san diego cali
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    In converting my Rusty to a "true" stadium truck (which runs standard 2.2" stadium truck wheels)
    Nice! I wanted to put 2.2" RPM wheels on mine as well, the rear wheels fit but I cannot find a set of 2.2" wheels that fit over my front c-hubs. Might need something with less backspacing/more offset.... let me know if you have encountered this on rustler 4x4?

    Thanks!!

  6. #6
    RC Qualifier Panther6834's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    817
    Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegan View Post
    Nice! I wanted to put 2.2" RPM wheels on mine as well, the rear wheels fit but I cannot find a set of 2.2" wheels that fit over my front c-hubs. Might need something with less backspacing/more offset.... let me know if you have encountered this on rustler 4x4?

    Thanks!!
    Using the stock hexes, there absolutely no way to good 2.2" wheels. I discovered that VERY quickly. That's why, for now, I'm using 15mm axle extenders. I'm looking for a better solution, but, until then, the axle extenders will work.

    ~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •