Thread: 8s???

RC Racer

8s???

So if I made my erevo 8s could I get the power to the pavement or should I just stick with 6s. I want to make the truck a street speed demon. So any part suggestions would be great.

Here are the parts I'm thinking about
    Tires: road crushers or belted street fighters
    Motor/ESC: a castle or hobbywing 8s or 6s sensored
    Servo: Reefs triple 4
    All the aluminum parts Traxxas makes.
    Gearing?
    SMC batts
    Suspension: Teflon coated bodies and Tin shafts.
    I would appreciate help with the springs and oil weight side of things.
    Pro-Line extended body mounts.
    Traxxas wheelie bar with red aluminum wheels.
    Bodies: Proline maybe the c10 or the ratrod.
    a-arms: RPM
    As far as diff oil weight goes I run stock I don't if that has any effect on anything or not when it comes to speed.

Sorry for all the questions I just don't have much experience with street cars.
    His Glory Alone all the way to the grave.

I have a E Revo 2.0 built for street racing. I can point ya in a good direction to start. Before we go to far...you looking for over all speed and handling for say cone racing, slalom racing / figure 8s or straight wide open speed runs?

RC Racer
    I am not planning on racing I just wanted to play on the street and do ridiculous speed runs. Thank you for the prompt response.

Here is my current on road set up and I love it. I run on asphalt as my primary surface.

Tires: 1/5th GRPs (s3 compound when cold out, s5 when hot) Emperformance adapters.
    Motor and ESC: Stock Traxxas Vxl-6s and motor, with Yeah Racing Heat Sink and R1 fans.
    Servo: Single Savox 1231sg
    Aluminum: Chassis brace, rocker posts, and pillow balls, turnbuckles and pushrods. All Traxxas. I also run Lunsford titanium hinge pins.
    Gearing: Currently 20/46 for cone racing. 22/46 for straight speed runs w breaks in between runs. Will be going a tad more aggressive for straight speed runs now that temps are dropping here in AZ.
    Suspension: Teflon coated shock bodies, TIN shafts with Traxxas variable dampening kit set to on road, both pistons #2.
    Springs and oil: Traxxas black front, pink rear with Team Associated 70 weight shock oil. Very solid set up. I just changed to silver front and blue rear and added a custom bump stop up front. I have not had a chance to test it yet... these may be a tad to stiff...will see. I also run Bad Horsie Shock socks...keeps the shafts and shocks clean of road debris.
    Batteries: SMCs all day! I run the hard cases packs..think he sells them as 5000mah packs now.
    Traxxas wheelie bar and rubber wheelie bar wheels are a must.
    A-Arms: RPM both front and rear.
    Diff oil: Team Associated 60k front and rear and 20 mil (stock) for center.
    Body: I run a custom painted E Revo 2.0 shell with Traxxas body savers for the E Revo 2.0
    Wing: Jconcepts Finnisher wing

Something I must point out, my GRP tires are much smaller then stock and do not balloon at all. They MUST be balanced to run them properly as there is a huge noticeable difference when not balanced....speed, shakes and overall handling. This is also why I can gear a lil more aggressive and not have overheat issues. Geared 20/46 on the GRPs, I can easily pull on my brothers E Revo 2.0 with him running badlands. If you run a wheel and tire closer to stock size like the Road Crushers, just monitor temps as you change gearing until you dial it in. This should give you some good starting points. Please reach out if you have any more questions.
    Last edited by RICK DIZZLE; 12-07-2019 at 02:50 AM.

RC Racer
    So 8s is not worth it? Also what speeds are you getting with that setup.

If you want really fast speeds, go with 8s. Higher the cells, the higher the power or speed (based on my experience). If you're just ripping your Revo up and down the street as I do with my Slash, put the 8s lipo on it. (the motor will overheat quicker because of higher RPMs, which is one disadvantage of going 8s)
    Jumping: maneuver and pray it won't break.

RC Racer
    I will soon post a picture of my Revo in its current condition and below is my part list. (which will probably change 100 times)

Tires: I'm gonna try the 1/8th scale s5 compound GRPs for speed runs and proline belted street fighters for road bashing.
    Motor/ESC: Hobbywing max8 with 2200kv motor.
    Servo: reefs triple 4
    Wing: Pro-Line Trifecta
    A-arms: RPM
    Aluminum parts: pivot balls, aluminum hollow balls, rocker arm posts, pushrods, and toelinks.
    Suspension: GTRs with TiN shafts and Teflon coated shock bodies and ill mess around with the shock oil weight and springs.Also some dusty motors shock covers.
    Wheelie bar: Traxxas with aluminum red wheels and rubber tires.
    Bodies: Pro-Line Chevy c10 body maybe...
    Proline extended body mounts
    Gearing: 22/46 for speed runs and for road bashing stock.
    Diffs: stock
    Motor fans: aluminum yeah racing fans and heat sink.
    I am also doing a bit of a rebuild so new chassis, skid plates etc.

You may want to go with a lower kv motor if your intent on 8S. Guessing the stocker 2200kv is going to get smoking hot in a very short time if you can actually reach full throttle without wheelieing to your death.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

RC Racer
    Thanks olds for the advice but Iím doing 6s because 8s is too much power.
    Hereís pics of the truck currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Hey, guys so I put in my first parts order which includes: skid plates, chassis, hardware, wing mount, and 5460X shocks. I now love Jenny's RC. Also, I'm going to try xo-1 tires because they are a little bit bigger than 1/8 GRP's and since I'm horribly indecisive I'm going to switch to the castle mmx 2200kv sensored setup.
    Last edited by bashing fo fun; 12-15-2019 at 12:04 PM.

Out of curiosity, why didn't you opt to go with the 1/5th GRPs? That is what I use. They are bigger then the XO1 wheels and tires. Here is a pic of 1/5th GRPs on an XO1 with stock XO1 tires next to them. Not my picture, just one I snagged from the web.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    The 1/5 GRP's need an adapter and I didn't feel like messing with that. Do you think the XO-1 wheels and tires won't work well?

I've never used them so no personal experience. They are true slicks with no tread pattern at all. With them being even smaller then the GRPs, you will have to gear even higher to achieve more top speed. For example if you have two trucks set up identical say 20/46 gearing and all is the same minus tire size...the truck with the bigger tire size will be faster unless geared higher on the truck with smaller tires. Also when trying to run for high top speeds, whether GRPs or whatever you run...spend some time and ensure you balance the wheels and tires...this will make a noticeable difference in how the truck handles and feels. First hand experience here my friend...lol. My unbalanced GRPs felt like they were gunna shake my truck to death...balanced...the thing is on rails!

Check YouTube...there are a few folks running them on first generation E Revos...may give you an idea how the handle.
    Last edited by RICK DIZZLE; 12-15-2019 at 02:05 PM.

RC Racer
    Okay, thanks for all the help rick. I was wondering what is the highest speed you have gotten with your setup.

Just got a GPS for it as a gift a about 2 weeks ago. Have not had a chance to GPS run it yet with my work schedule. Probably wont be able to until after the holidays. The Traxxas app is not correct due to my tire size and basing speed of of rpm of motor and the input you put in for gearing. No tires pre-listed in there close to 1/5th GRPs. Also I don't have it geared for top speed runs. I have it geared 20/46 right now. Its been a good balance for slalom and cone racing I do on the streets with other folks. I easily pull on my brothers stock E Revo 2.0, even with the smaller GRPs on. 20/46 has allowed me good off the line punch, balanced with good top speeds. So long story short.. no top speed documented yet. Lol.

RC Racer
    Thanks, Rick.

RC Racer
    First round of parts just came in from Jennyís rc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could also try 17mm wheels/tires for the arrma infraction/limitless, dboot hoons. They are rated for high speeds and are a typical 17mm hex I believe.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    Could also try 17mm wheels/tires for the arrma infraction/limitless, dboot hoons. They are rated for high speeds and are a typical 17mm hex I believe.
    Those are a bit tempting but smaller than the xo-1 tires. I don't know if I want to go that small.

RC Champion
    I would go with 1/5 grp also.. here is my truck..

https://youtu.be/bbIMnPU9FTk
    slash 4x4 168mph
    youtube:philip jolley

A 8s ERBE would be so sick though!
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

Quote Originally Posted by Briber View Post
    A 8s ERBE would be so sick though!
    Mines capable of 8S now (installed a max6), but 6S so far has been plenty of power for me.

Mines capable of 8S now (installed a max6), but 6S so far has been plenty of power for me.
    Only problem with 8s ERBE 2.0 would be no where to put batts! So what motor do you have that is 8s capable that fits??

Only problem with 8s ERBE 2.0 would be no where to put batts! So what motor do you have that is 8s capable that fits??
    I don't have the motor to support it, just the esc. I'd never run 8S in it I don't think.

A 1550kv would probably take the abuse of 8S for a while, as long as you didn't do a lot of WOT in the air for extended periods:
    https://www.rcjuice.com/motor-esc/br...ter-truck.html

I don't have the motor to support it, just the esc. I'd never run 8S in it I don't think.

A 1550kv would probably take the abuse of 8S for a while, as long as you didn't do a lot of WOT in the air for extended periods:
    https://www.rcjuice.com/motor-esc/br...ter-truck.html
    That's my issue. I was trying to put a 1650 xo1 motor in emaxx but hits tranny case. I could modify to work but my gearing combo to make work isnt going to be anything you could bash with. Id think the ERBE would have same issue so I see big obstacles in the way of a 8s setup even fitting let alone being reliable or having room for two 4s batts, but if you could, this thing would be the best rc ever. This setup with xmaxx drivetrain and dependability, that be the death of all other rc sales lol.
    Last edited by Briber; 12-26-2019 at 01:47 PM.

That's my issue. I was trying to put a 1650 xo1 motor in emaxx but hits tranny case. I could modify to work but my gearing combo to make work isnt going to be anything you could bash with. Id think the ERBE would have same issue so I see big obstacles in the way of a 8s setup even fitting let alone being reliable or having room for two 4s batts, but if you could, this thing would be the best rc ever. This setup with xmaxx drivetrain and dependability, that be the death of all other rc sales lol.
    8S may prove to be too much for the plastic center axles the ERBEv2 uses. I got mine used and the center-rear is a traxxas cvd while the front is still stock plastic.

Either way, 6S is a ton of fun with this truck and it holds up so much better than the v1 did.

RC Racer
    So I now have a change in the build. I'm going more for a high-speed high handling off road truck kind of like an arrma Talion. I'm hoping for 80-85. Not quite sure on the parts but there will be a change.