Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    201

    Rustler VXL recommended shock upgrades

    So Iím getting tired of the stock ultra shock caps popping off What do you all recommend thatís not super expensive, big bores for 60 look nice.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier Panther6834's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    800
    As had been mentioned, many times, in several different threads, replacing the caps is the first thing you should upgrade after purchasing the vehicle. The plastic caps popping off is EXTREMELY common. You have two options. The "cheap" option is to get the aluminum caps (approx $15). The more costly, but better/smarter, option is to replace the 'Ultra' shocks with something else. Two of the best suggestions/recommendations are the GTR shocks made by Traxxas, or the ProSpec shocks made by Pro-Line, in that order of preference (ie. my order of preference).

    ~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

  3. #3
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    As had been mentioned, many times, in several different threads, replacing the caps is the first thing you should upgrade after purchasing the vehicle. The plastic caps popping off is EXTREMELY common. You have two options. The "cheap" option is to get the aluminum caps (approx $15). The more costly, but better/smarter, option is to replace the 'Ultra' shocks with something else. Two of the best suggestions/recommendations are the GTR shocks made by Traxxas, or the ProSpec shocks made by Pro-Line, in that order of preference (ie. my order of preference).

    ~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    Iím not looking to put a bandaid on them, Iíd rather just get a complete set of shocks thatíll be a better upgrade than just metal caps. I already figured someone would say GTRs or proline shocks but just wanted to ask because itís 2wd, didnít know if it mattered. Thanks


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    RC Qualifier Panther6834's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    800
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketzx1 View Post
    Iím not looking to put a bandaid on them, Iíd rather just get a complete set of shocks thatíll be a better upgrade than just metal caps. I already figured someone would say GTRs or proline shocks but just wanted to ask because itís 2wd, didnít know if it mattered. Thanks


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The aluminum caps are not a "Band-Aid". You'll find a lot of people have gone that route, and NEVER had a problem after that. I them because it appeared that you were concerned with cost. The 2WD Slash I got my step-dad for Father's Day has the aluminum caps on the rear shocks, and the ProSpec shocks up front (in other words, he followed both of my suggestions...one suggestion up front, and the other for the rear), and he's quite happy.

    It was better than aluminum caps on all four, and a LOT better than the stock caps, but also less costly than ProSpec/GTR on all four corners. Besides, since the biggest problem was in the front, be didn't feel the need to completely replace the rear shocks. If you're having the problem with the front shocks, you could follow the same route - ProSpec, or GTR, up front, with aluminum caps on the 'Ultra' shocks in the rear.

    ~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

  5. #5
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    80

    Rustler VXL recommended shock upgrades

    Aluminum Shock caps here for my Rustler, Slash, Stampede and Bandit. Never had a single problem after installing them.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    6 Traxxas vehicles and counting...

  6. #6
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    47
    +1 on the aluminum shock caps for the ultras. Been swapping out the shafts in pairs to the TiN as needed and we run on a rough backyard track. Plus parts are cheap to purchase. Then tuning springs/shock oil weight for how your running.

  7. #7
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    201
    Iíll grab some aluminum caps and some springs and see what I can do with these ultra shocks. Guess I was being a bit ignorant, sorry about that.

    What rate do you recommend for stiffer springs for the ol 2wd rustler, front and rear and what oil weight, 40 all around?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    201
    Can anyone recommend stiffer springs for the ultra shocks? I have some aluminum caps coming next week, and would like to try out different spring rates, but Iím not sure what to look for.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    RC Qualifier Panther6834's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    800
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketzx1 View Post
    Can anyone recommend stiffer springs for the ultra shocks? I have some aluminum caps coming next week, and would like to try out different spring rates, but Iím not sure what to look for.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Check out the Associated shock assortment package (blanking on 'official' name, and don't know part number). There's two different lengths (one perfectly fits Rustler/Slash 4x4 front shocks, the other fits the rear shocks), with each package containing 4pr, one pair each of 4 different spring rates. Playing around with the different spring rates, as well as the various preload clips Traxxas includes in every vehicle's box, you should easily be able to find the setting you're looking for.

    ~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

  10. #10
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    201
    I found this on eBay, is this the right pack?


    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F273587309906


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    RC Qualifier Panther6834's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    800
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketzx1 View Post
    I found this on eBay, is this the right pack?


    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F273587309906


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sorry, Losi, not Associated.

    Losi Rear Shock Spring Tuning Set - LOSB2963
    Losi Front Shock Spring Tuning Set - LOSB2959

    ~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

  12. #12
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    Sorry, Losi, not Associated.

    Losi Rear Shock Spring Tuning Set - LOSB2963
    Losi Front Shock Spring Tuning Set - LOSB2959

    ~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    Thanks panther.

    I apologize for being a jerk earlier. I had a bad day and part of my frustration came out on you.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    RC Qualifier Panther6834's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    800
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketzx1 View Post
    Thanks panther.

    I apologize for being a jerk earlier. I had a bad day and part of my frustration came out on you.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No worries. We all have those types of days from time to time.

    ~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •