RC Racer

Rustler VXL recommended shock upgrades

So Iím getting tired of the stock ultra shock caps popping off What do you all recommend thatís not super expensive, big bores for 60 look nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As had been mentioned, many times, in several different threads, replacing the caps is the first thing you should upgrade after purchasing the vehicle. The plastic caps popping off is EXTREMELY common. You have two options. The "cheap" option is to get the aluminum caps (approx $15). The more costly, but better/smarter, option is to replace the 'Ultra' shocks with something else. Two of the best suggestions/recommendations are the GTR shocks made by Traxxas, or the ProSpec shocks made by Pro-Line, in that order of preference (ie. my order of preference).

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    As had been mentioned, many times, in several different threads, replacing the caps is the first thing you should upgrade after purchasing the vehicle. The plastic caps popping off is EXTREMELY common. You have two options. The "cheap" option is to get the aluminum caps (approx $15). The more costly, but better/smarter, option is to replace the 'Ultra' shocks with something else. Two of the best suggestions/recommendations are the GTR shocks made by Traxxas, or the ProSpec shocks made by Pro-Line, in that order of preference (ie. my order of preference).

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    Iím not looking to put a bandaid on them, Iíd rather just get a complete set of shocks thatíll be a better upgrade than just metal caps. I already figured someone would say GTRs or proline shocks but just wanted to ask because itís 2wd, didnít know if it mattered. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketzx1 View Post
    Iím not looking to put a bandaid on them, Iíd rather just get a complete set of shocks thatíll be a better upgrade than just metal caps. I already figured someone would say GTRs or proline shocks but just wanted to ask because itís 2wd, didnít know if it mattered. Thanks

The aluminum caps are not a "Band-Aid". You'll find a lot of people have gone that route, and NEVER had a problem after that. I them because it appeared that you were concerned with cost. The 2WD Slash I got my step-dad for Father's Day has the aluminum caps on the rear shocks, and the ProSpec shocks up front (in other words, he followed both of my suggestions...one suggestion up front, and the other for the rear), and he's quite happy.

It was better than aluminum caps on all four, and a LOT better than the stock caps, but also less costly than ProSpec/GTR on all four corners. Besides, since the biggest problem was in the front, be didn't feel the need to completely replace the rear shocks. If you're having the problem with the front shocks, you could follow the same route - ProSpec, or GTR, up front, with aluminum caps on the 'Ultra' shocks in the rear.

RC Competitor

Rustler VXL recommended shock upgrades

Aluminum Shock caps here for my Rustler, Slash, Stampede and Bandit. Never had a single problem after installing them.

6 Traxxas vehicles and counting...

RC Enthusiast
    +1 on the aluminum shock caps for the ultras. Been swapping out the shafts in pairs to the TiN as needed and we run on a rough backyard track. Plus parts are cheap to purchase. Then tuning springs/shock oil weight for how your running.

RC Racer
    Iíll grab some aluminum caps and some springs and see what I can do with these ultra shocks. Guess I was being a bit ignorant, sorry about that.

What rate do you recommend for stiffer springs for the ol 2wd rustler, front and rear and what oil weight, 40 all around?

RC Racer
    Can anyone recommend stiffer springs for the ultra shocks? I have some aluminum caps coming next week, and would like to try out different spring rates, but Iím not sure what to look for.

Can anyone recommend stiffer springs for the ultra shocks? I have some aluminum caps coming next week, and would like to try out different spring rates, but Iím not sure what to look for.

Check out the Associated shock assortment package (blanking on 'official' name, and don't know part number). There's two different lengths (one perfectly fits Rustler/Slash 4x4 front shocks, the other fits the rear shocks), with each package containing 4pr, one pair each of 4 different spring rates. Playing around with the different spring rates, as well as the various preload clips Traxxas includes in every vehicle's box, you should easily be able to find the setting you're looking for.

RC Racer
    I found this on eBay, is this the right pack?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F273587309906

I found this on eBay, is this the right pack?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F273587309906

Sorry, Losi, not Associated.

Losi Rear Shock Spring Tuning Set - LOSB2963
    Losi Front Shock Spring Tuning Set - LOSB2959

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    Sorry, Losi, not Associated.

Losi Rear Shock Spring Tuning Set - LOSB2963
    Losi Front Shock Spring Tuning Set - LOSB2959

Thanks panther.

I apologize for being a jerk earlier. I had a bad day and part of my frustration came out on you.

Thanks panther.

I apologize for being a jerk earlier. I had a bad day and part of my frustration came out on you.

No worries. We all have those types of days from time to time.