RC poster

Basic newbie help needed please!!

I have a stock Slash 4x4 and previously ran a 5500 3S battery. It ran fast but didn't overheat or shut down on thermal protection. I ended up screwing up the car in salt water and trashed the ESC and motor. Replaced with identical ESC(VXL-3S)and motor and replaced battery with larger mAH rating but still 3s. Now the car runs EXTREMELY fast pulling the front wheels off the ground. After 3-5 minutes shuts down on thermal protection. Not sure what the **** I did different but something changed. I'd greatly appreciate any help on what gearing I should be running. The car is for my son and right now it's way too fast besides overheating. The previous 3S battery would run for around 20-30 minutes and while the motor was pretty warm to the touch it wasn't extremely hot nor did it ever shut down on thermal. I've been out of the RC world for over 20 years so this is all new to me and I'd appreciate any help with this!!

Thanks in advance!!

Did you set the gear mesh properly?
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Champion
    Also you say you ruined the previous motor and esc with salt water. Have you checked all the bearings? They may be rusted as well. Check all the bearings in the wheel hubs, and the motor mount as well if you already havenít done so.

RC poster
    As they say.......When in doubt reboot ! Start by re-programming transmitter, receiver, esc, etc ! Next I would go to 7.4v 2cell. Slower for the Son and see if heat drops. You can change spur/Pinion for better gearing and less heat ! ! Smaller Pinion Larger Spur ? My experience is limited to hunt and seek for best results ! Esc could be bad, motor connections or motor corrided, or Cheap battery's pretty much have ruined my day several times ! SALT WATER does not go with electronics of any type...period.
    I went from Real Drag racing to RC Drag Racing. ! Still cost $$$$$$ to go fast and one is never enough !!!!!! PARTS PARTS PARTS

Quote Originally Posted by btoups View Post
    I have a stock Slash 4x4 and previously ran a 5500 3S battery. It ran fast but didn't overheat or shut down on thermal protection. I ended up screwing up the car in salt water and trashed the ESC and motor. Replaced with identical ESC(VXL-3S)and motor and replaced battery with larger mAH rating but still 3s. Now the car runs EXTREMELY fast pulling the front wheels off the ground. After 3-5 minutes shuts down on thermal protection. Not sure what the **** I did different but something changed. I'd greatly appreciate any help on what gearing I should be running. The car is for my son and right now it's way too fast besides overheating. The previous 3S battery would run for around 20-30 minutes and while the motor was pretty warm to the touch it wasn't extremely hot nor did it ever shut down on thermal. I've been out of the RC world for over 20 years so this is all new to me and I'd appreciate any help with this!!

Thanks in advance!!
    Do you still have the old motor? You may be able to revive it with a new set of bearings. Like 222 asked, did you change every bearing in the truck? Also double check your gear mesh. Was your old motor a two or four pole motor?
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC poster
    Yes all the wheel bearings are good but thanks for the suggestion. The more I read it sounds like 3s is really pushing what my setup can handle. Would I do better just ditching 3s and going with 2s for reliability???

Have to ask, but could it be possible that your Slash was originally in training mode?
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Qualifier
    Yes all the wheel bearings are good but thanks for the suggestion. The more I read it sounds like 3s is really pushing what my setup can handle. Would I do better just ditching 3s and going with 2s for reliability???
    I wouldn’t say better off... but when I owned a 4x4 vxl slash I ran it on 2 s most of the time.
    Someone more knowledgeable than me may pipe in but I think stock gearing is 15/54.
    So if you keep 3s maybe a smaller pinion than 15 and/or a bigger spur than 54?

RC Champion
    Yes 2s would be better for the stock motor/esc. It will definitely run cooler on 2s. Iíve had my slash 4x4 geared for near 40-45mph on 2s. No that itís the fastest, just to give an idea. And I was able to make multiple passes with it geared like this. Run the stock gearing or near it, I liked 18/54, canít remember if that was stock or not, but it seemed to work well for speed and torque. And also, I have the older 2 pole motor, versus the newer 4 pole motor, which should run cooler and have better torque. Also running 2s equates to less broken parts and an overall more reliable truck. Iíve not broken much on mine in the years Iíve had it, and I have launched it pretty high and far. It always comes back for more. Also, I do run 17mm hexes and use 1/8th buggy wheel/tire combo. I set mine up as a buggy. It handles great and is very nimble in this form. I also donít have the newer LCG chassis, I am using the older HCG chassis. So if yours is newer it will handle better then mine does most likely. Anyhow, it all boils down to being more reliable on 2s I suppose. Less speed equals less broken parts. Also itís more controllable. JMHO.

I am with Squeegie on this. It sounds like training mode was on. I would put it back on training mode and see if it works like before.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakratfink View Post
    I wouldn’t say better off... but when I owned a 4x4 vxl slash I ran it on 2 s most of the time.
    Someone more knowledgeable than me may pipe in but I think stock gearing is 15/54.
    So if you keep 3s maybe a smaller pinion than 15 and/or a bigger spur than 54?
    Stock gearing is 13/54. I have run my Slash 4x4 trucks exclusively on 3 and 4s. I also put heatsink with fan combinations on all of my trucks.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Qualifier
    I would check all bearings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I really appreciate you guys taking the time to reply. When I re-installed the stock motor I mistakenly installed a MUCH larger pinion gear. The local hobby shop in Baton Rouge figured it our for me. Went back to the stock pinion and life is good again. 2s and 3s running just fine however keeping the kids on the 2s.

That wouldn't happen to be Hobby Towne in Baton Rouge?