RC Enthusiast

new xmaxx on 8s cant pop wheelie on asphalt ?

Just got myself a brand new xmaxx with 2 traxxas 4s lipo but it seems like i cant pop a wheelie on the asphalt ? Is it possible because its winter and the roads are not sticky enough even if there is no snow on them ? Or maybe its the oil in center diff not thick enough ?

Other than that this thing is a beast !!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TYPHOON1980 View Post
    Just got myself a brand new xmaxx with 2 traxxas 4s lipo but it seems like i cant pop a wheelie on the asphalt ? Is it possible because its winter and the roads are not sticky enough even if there is no snow on them ? Or maybe its the oil in center diff not thick enough ?

Other than that this thing is a beast !!
    That is possible. A few weeks ago when it was about 20F here, my 2WD Slash on Stampede Talons was spinning my tires on dry pavement because it was so cold.

RC poster
    Probably the cold but it doesn't hurt to check how full the difs are anyway. Oil really isn't the appropriate term for the 20 million wt "fluid" in the center . It has the consistency of chewed bubble gums. You literally break small chunks off and pack it in. Just like the front and rears and found mine wasn't as full as it could of been.

Do the front tires balloon up when you hit the gas or do all 4 seem to be spinning about the same speed?

If the center diff is unloading to the front it should be pretty noticeable, which would mean you may need to rebuild the center diff.

If all the tires seem to have about the same amount of power it's probably just spinning too much to get traction to pull the wheels up.
    Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the info guys !! Ill deff check those front wheels when i punch the throttle.
    Just hope its the cold weather resulting in less traction cause that center diff looks like quite a job to take out

Btw dont mind my english im french

RC poster
    Depending on your mechanical ability servicing the center dif isn't a difficult job. If you keep everything organized it's pretty straight forward.

RC Racer
    Thanks for the info guys !! Ill deff check those front wheels when i punch the throttle.
    Just hope its the cold weather resulting in less traction cause that center diff looks like quite a job to take out

Btw dont mind my english im french
    Being a brand new Xmaxx I’d lean towards the cold weather and the rubber tires being harder due to the cold

RC Qualifier
    does it pull wheelies on grass?

RC Competitor
    It isn't in training mode is it?

RC Enthusiast
    It was dues to low temperature cuase yesterday was warmer and it had no issues doing wheelies
    But thx for the answers guys
    Now the next step is going to get some decent allen wrenchs , any of you have suggestions (not too expensive but good quality)

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    It was dues to low temperature cuase yesterday was warmer and it had no issues doing wheelies
    Now the next step is going to get some decent allen wrenchs , any of you have suggestions (not too expensive but good quality)
    MIP or Arrowmax

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    I second MIP, and will add RDS. Both I’ve gotten off eBay. The MIP hex drivers are great and they work well! Tight fit and they won’t strip your hex head screws out that is for sure. I also use RDS hex drivers abs they work quite well too. Both are a bit expensive, at about $16 per hex driver. Sets are a bit better price wise.

RC Qualifier
    Hudy Profitools are my favourite. Comfortable to use and light to lug around.

https://www.hudy.net/xhudy/news/news...8184dcdeab16c9

I also have a set of MIP hex and nut drivers and they’re top notch as well. MIP was the only nut driver set I could find with all the sizes I was looking for for M2 etc... #9504 but looks like the set may be discontinued?

MIP are the best I’ve found for the smaller sizes sometimes needed too... 0.9mm, 0.050” (1.27mm), and 1.3mm.

Pretty much any brand with proper hardened steel will do the job though. I have a 9yo Hobao set that’s still going strong.

RC poster
    Traction is not the issue unless ur on ice. My xmaxx does wheelies in mud, sand, and gravel. Usually when it doesnt do wheelies that's how I know my batteries are almost dead. However try calibrating your esc sometimes the throttle is not set so wen you pull back all the way it does not detect half of your pull. I would also suggest getting a traxxas bluetooth link. Sometimes you need this to enable tsm or to reset the controls by switching to a slash and then back to the xmaxx.

Traction is not the issue unless ur on ice. I live in northeastern part of the U.S. Cold is not the issue. My 8s xmaxx does wheelies in mud, sand, and gravel. Usually when it doesnt do wheelies that's how I know my batteries are almost dead. However try calibrating your esc sometimes the throttle is not set so wen you pull back all the way it does not detect half of your pull. I would also suggest getting a traxxas bluetooth link. Sometimes you need this to enable tsm or to reset the controls by switching to a slash and then back to the xmaxx. Also it could be your rear diff it could be slipping due to some teeth getting broken off the ring gear. You will notice a slight clicking while casually driving around if this is the case.
    Last edited by Double G; 12-15-2019 at 08:17 PM. Reason: merge

RC Enthusiast
    Was looking at those arromax tools, what would be the cheapest place to get them online ?

RC Champion
    eBay. That is where I got my MIP hex drivers and also my RDS ones. You can search and find a place close to you so you aren’t waiting for a long time to get them. I’ve too looked at the arrow max line of hex drivers, but I ended up getting the MIP ones. I will say that the MIP ones are made very well and they won’t strip your Allen heads out. Made from tool steel, so they are HD. I also use RDS hex drivers almost daily for work. Have had the same 5/64” hex drivers for close to 5yrs and it is still working like the first time I used it. Both MIP and RDS are quality hex drivers from my experience. As for the arrow max line, they appear to be very well made too. I just went with what most here recommend, that being MIP.

RC poster

I just picked up a nice **** from Apex RC got them on Amazon for like $15 they’re decent quality nothing great but they get the job done and do it well in the tips seem pretty hard so they shouldn’t round offhhI just picked up a nice set from Apex RC got them on Amazon for like $15 they’re decent quality nothing great if they get the job done and do it well and the tips seem pretty hard so they shouldn’t round off very easy

RC Enthusiast
    Okay thx for the input guys !!