RC Competitor

MAXX - gt maxx shocks leaking already

hey
    brand new to forums here but not new to traxxas

I picked up a production model maxx about 3 weeks ago. its been really rainy where I live lately and with the cold weather I have only ran 3 packs threw the truck. about a hour of drive time.

yesterday I was doing a detailed clean and oil on the truck and before I even pulled out the oil to lube any point on the truck I noticed oil all over the front right of the truck. (arms, driveshaft, wheel and hub)

I pulled the shock out of truck and of course it is as close to empty of oil as a shock could be without full disassemble. it doesn't look like a failed shock cap caused the issue. it actually looks like the shock caps bleed hole was where all the oil was shot out of and from the oil on the front bumper it looks like it shot out with force. I am not 100% familiar with this hole in the shock cap. can some one explain what it is used for and maybe that will help me with what to look for when I reassemble the shock it is possible at the factory the bladder was not installed correctly.

has this happened to anyone else?

I thought the gt maxx shocks looked tough compare to my ultra shocks and big bore shocks but now I'm already having issues and I have never had issues with my ultra and big bores.

any help is appreciated thanks!!!!

If the bladder on the top of the shock was not installed correctly then yes oil would come out of the hole. Refill the shock to the point where the bladder will touch it, install the bladder and then screw on the cap. You may get a little oil coming out and that is normal. Then compress and rebound the shock a few times to see if it still happens.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    If the bladder on the top of the shock was not installed correctly then yes oil would come out of the hole. Refill the shock to the point where the bladder will touch it, install the bladder and then screw on the cap. You may get a little oil coming out and that is normal. Then compress and rebound the shock a few times to see if it still happens.
    thanks! I will try this out tonight and see what happens. going to up the oil weight anyways.

what is the little hole for? my suspension knowledge comes from motocross where all shocks are sealed and pressurized to 100+psi so I am not to familiar with these self bleeding designs. does the hole just let the bladder "breath:

The way the shock works is it should be full of oil and no air (bladder design). When the shock compresses, the bladder will compress against the air above it to allow for the space of the shaft. Else it would try to compress the oil, which it can't. Air is compressible, oil is not. When the shock extends, the bladder expands again.

So the shock should be full of oil when the cap is screwed on (no air), any excess oil will bleed out that little hole as it is being screwed on. The excess oil spills over the edge of the body, around the threads and out that hole. When the cap is fully screwed on, the bladder seals against the lip of the body and no more air/oil should enter or leave the shock.

That hole only allows the excess oil to exit the shock while the cap is screwed on, it doesn't do anything after the cap is on.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorRC22 View Post
    The way the shock works is it should be full of oil and no air (bladder design). When the shock compresses, the bladder will compress against the air above it to allow for the space of the shaft. Else it would try to compress the oil, which it can't. Air is compressible, oil is not. When the shock extends, the bladder expands again.

So the shock should be full of oil when the cap is screwed on (no air), any excess oil will bleed out that little hole as it is being screwed on. The excess oil spills over the edge of the body, around the threads and out that hole. When the cap is fully screwed on, the bladder seals against the lip of the body and no more air/oil should enter or leave the shock.

That hole only allows the excess oil to exit the shock while the cap is screwed on, it doesn't do anything after the cap is on.
    THANK YOU that was exactly what I needed to hear. I totally understand the hole now.

like I said in motocross shocks are totally different but we are comparing 40$ shocks to 2500$ shocks.

thanks again razor!! by the way keep going with your maxx videos I watch every single one. cheers mate!