RC Competitor

new esc and motor.

Can anyone recommend any esc and motor combos? I want brushless and around 3000kv to 3500kv but if its out of this range I can re-gear accordingly. I already have 2 velineon 3500 vxl3s systems in my other 2 lcg slash trucks and would like to try and step outside of my norm of pure traxxas power. I really like the look of the castle sct setup but my LHS suppliers are all out of stock.

does anyone have experience with skyrc cheapo systems like the cheetah and leopard systems?? I can get those super cheap at my LHS but not sure if they are junk and prone to fail. the shop owner was trying to tell me they are solid but I felt he was bias since he was out of castle options and was looking for the sale $$$

I should add I don't care at all about power for this system I want brushless for longer runtime. this is for my wifes truck and she doesn't like to change batteries a lot and her titan system is getting old and "thirsty"

thanks!

***also if this is not allowed because I am discussing non traxxas motors then by all means take it down I am not 100% sure on the rules here just yet

RC poster
    I use the Castle SCT combo. You could try to get it from AMain or Tower Hobbies and wait for shipping. I run it with the Traxxas 7600mah 2s battery (kind of heavy). Spur size is 86t and pinion is a 23t TLR pinion, it probably does 45 mph, maybe a little more. 3s you could definitely hit 60.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronRC View Post
    I use the Castle SCT combo. You could try to get it from AMain or Tower Hobbies and wait for shipping. I run it with the Traxxas 7600mah 2s battery (kind of heavy). Spur size is 86t and pinion is a 23t TLR pinion, it probably does 45 mph, maybe a little more. 3s you could definitely hit 60.
    I have used the SCT kit before, and I want one but all my local suppliers are out of stock in Canada which means the few shops who have them jacked the price up. I was curious about any info on cheapo systems because this is a truck that doesn't get used a whole lot and I could use a cheap system until my local suppliers get stock again. right now the Canadian dollar and all the fees associated with getting parts from usa to Canada have made me completely stop buying from us suppliers and vendors. last time I was in Washington I bought a bunch of crawler parts and by the time I got home I did the math and I could have just bought them here for less. so I wont be ordering from Amain anytime soon until the dollar changes.

RC poster
    I have heard a lot of good stuff about Hobbywing and Reedy though, if you hobby store has that you can try it.

RC Competitor
    I have heard a lot of good stuff about Hobbywing and Reedy though, if you hobby store has that you can try it.
    I will look for some of those thanks!

RC poster
    Thank you so much for the help.
    Last edited by mefwein; 12-30-2019 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Spelling

RC Competitor
    I run the SkyRC 4300KV TORO 4-pole motor. I've been running the exact same motor for the past 5 years. I, too, wasn't sure about it's quality/longevity. I actually bought a second one as a backup since I traveled a lot to race (5+ hours one way). I didn't want it to go bad and not have a backup to install while away from home.

It started out in my Losi SCTE (1.0). Then, it got transferred to my Tekno SCT 410.3 when I switched short course trucks. I recently put it into my 2wd Slash as I am doing this whole "street eliminator" drag-race thing. So far so good. I can definitely say that I've gotten my money's worth out of it. It has outlasted several ESCs. I've gone through at least 4 or 5 ESCs, but have kept the same motor.

Highly recommended.