Thread: Wheel Screw-up

RC poster

Wheel Screw-up

Hi I'm completely new to this whole hobby and don't know anything yet (hopefully I get all the terminology right). I got my son a used XL-5 after he had several RC cars from Walmart or the like. I was sick of throwing those out and wanted something repairable.

Most of the driving is done in the grass or on the gravel lot by our house but there was some sliding around on the driveway which quickly worn out the stock tires.

We did the RPM long arm conversion to allow rotating the tires and ordered 4 front 2.2 RPM Revolvers and 4 Pro-Line SC 2.2/3.0 Badlands. I didn't realize what the 3.0 in 2.2/3.0 meant and now we have tires and rims that just don't work together.

Since rims seem to be cheaper than tires I would like advice on what rims I can get to use the Badlands. I have searched but I'm feeling a bit gun-shy and haven't found anything that gives me the confidence to order new rims. I also started looking at the Pro-Line Short Course Wheel Offset Guide and got further overwhelmed. My LHS won't be much help, it has very little stock, almost everything is ordered in. They also seem to focus on planes and the person working there admits they don't know cars very well.

My preference for new rims would be something that maintains the original hex but this is not a necessity.
    This would be nice so we could put the Revolvers on as well since I will probably try to buy tires for them eventually.

Hope this wasn't too long
    Thanks

RC Champion
    Have you looked at the Proline Trenchers in 2.2" for stadium trucks for it yet?
    https://www.prolineracing.com/tires/...ruck-tires.asp

I've had good luck with the 2.8's for monster trucks on my Stampede so far.
    https://www.instagram.com/greenjeep1998/?hl=en

RC Enthusiast
    I agree with bjoehandley. I use the trenchers which came mounted with rims. without any issues. I would recommend putting on 1654x aluminium hubs. (or any color you prefer "X" symbolizes color.) to ensure what rims you pick do not get damaged. In your case if your still looking for rims traxxas options, proline or duratrax.

RC poster
    Thanks for the advice. That is probably what I should have done in the first place however my wife would be less than impressed if I went out and bought another set of new tires. I should probably start another thread looking for advice on how to convince a wife that spending money on a "toy car" is a wise investment.

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear but I'm looking for advice on Short Course rims that will work with the tires I already bought.
    From looking at the exploded views I believe that Slash's have the same 12mm hex as the Rustler.
    Can Slash wheels be used on the Rustler?
    If so, should Slash 2wd front or 2wd rear wheels be used?

My inclination is Slash 2wd fronts all around. If that is correct what would be good rims to get?

Would these work?
    https://www.prolineracing.com/wheels...ont-wheels.asp
    or
    https://www.jconcepts.net/shop/hustl...wd-front-wheel
    I'm hoping the links work
    Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks again for the help.

RC Champion
    You can run any Slash wheel on the Rustler and Stampede with no modifications, although you might want to watch and make sure you're getting the same offset all around. Personally, I'd forgo the SCT tires and go with Stadium Truck tires on the RPM rims you bought instead, more rubber on the road with those and won't look as goofy as the SCT tires will on a long armed Rustler.
    https://www.instagram.com/greenjeep1998/?hl=en

What about 2.8 trencher LP? I got a set of those and they are a bit smaller than my stock rustler 4x4 talon ext tires, but offer so much more grip. They came mounted in those raid wheels with the removable hexes, and they are 1/2 offset all around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    [Typewriter noises] . . . Somewhere in the Eastwest . . .
    Both of the links you posted will work. I would recommend getting either 2wd front or 4wd all around offsets, for more stability.

RC poster
    Thank you all for the advice.

At this point I'm sticking with the Badlands primarily because it will be cheaper. This might not be the optimal solution but for a kid playing in the backyard it's good enough for now. We will probably get another set of tires in the summer unless these get worn out before that. I'll probably try trenchers on the RPMs at that point.

I've put the rear Rustler wheels on the front and cycled the suspension and steering. From this I found that the wheel can contact the a-arm. Since the 2wd Slash is similar to the Rustler in that the front wheels have more offset than the rear is this also an issue with the Slash 2wd rear/4wd fr wheels?