RC Enthusiast

Traxxas Rustler 100+ mph top speed build

This is something Iíve wanted to do for years and this thread will document my progress.

Iím starting with a bare XL-5 chassis and taking it from there. I have the power train and most of the suspension already, but Iím waiting on a few more parts to arrive.

I hope you achieve your goal. I just did after a few years and 3 cars later, my Rusty 3.0 on 6s did 102 mph. I put pics in the rustler picture thread. What motor and esc you going with?
    Last edited by Briber; 12-21-2019 at 11:27 PM.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Briber View Post
    I hope you achieve your goal. I just did after a few years and 3 cars later, my Rusty 3.0 on 6s did 102 mph. I put pics in the rustler picture thread. What motor and esc you going with?
    Thanks and congrats on achieving your goal. I did check out your pics and your rusty looks very good, did you dye the chassis to get it that color? I haven’t yet decided how I’ll mount my battery packs, is there a reason you mounted them at the sides? For the motor and esc I’ll be running an Arrma 6S BLX setup.

Whatup Defiant1!!

First of all, good luck with your 100+ build...AWESOME...everytime I see a utoob video with a 100+ rc it sounds like a jet flying by...I am thinking MY fastest rcs are about 50mph.

From what I have seen, the stiffer the better. Get rid of those RPM arms and go with the stock arms which are more rigid. The rpm arms get their "fame" from being flexible and because of that flexibility resist breaking...but you don't want your "speed rig" to flex at all-the more rigid the better.

Stock a-arms are a lot more rigid than the rpm arms.

Good luck!
    MTFBWY

Quote Originally Posted by Defiant1 View Post
    Thanks and congrats on achieving your goal. I did check out your pics and your rusty looks very good, did you dye the chassis to get it that color? I havenít yet decided how Iíll mount my battery packs, is there a reason you mounted them at the sides? For the motor and esc Iíll be running an Arrma 6S BLX setup.
    Thanks. Generalpede was running a reaper rustler chassis for speedruns which is a aluminum flat pan chassis mounting batts side by side in middle and had great success with it so I took that idea of lower center of gravity since I was double stacking batts in middle before and ran with it. I believe it makes a much more stable and easy to drive rc being more balanced with that setup and a few other things I did. The batt trays are just the middle sections of a stock rustler chassis and it's just stock gray color. They used to have a part number for a rustler chassis already black you could just buy idk if it's still offered Google it. Or you can just strip chassis and throw in big pot with black dye and boil. I've done that several times on Stampede 4x4 chassis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnergy View Post
    ... go with the stock arms which are more rigid. The rpm arms get their "fame" from being flexible and because of that flexibility resist breaking...but you don't want your "speed rig" to flex at all-the more rigid the better.

Stock a-arms are a lot more rigid...
    Agreed! Or you can just boil them, if you wanna throw in dye you can make black instead of blue as well. Boiling them makes them stiffer.
    Last edited by Briber; 12-23-2019 at 04:05 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the tips. I’m ok with a little flex in exchange for the added durability. I crash a lot (wrecked my stock vxl today) and I don’t want to keep breaking stock parts like I always do. Also the front a arms are extended width to add some stability hopefully. I think I’ve one seen one metal extended front a arm and it was pricey, I suppose I could try the metal arms from my Jato if needed but I’m unsure if they’ll fit.

Got a few more parts in the mail today so all I’m waiting on to start the build is:

Gearbox
    Bearings
    Steering bellcrank
    Turnbuckles
    And I need to get a receiver + servo

RC Enthusiast

Tomorrow Iíll bend the front bumper down some

RC Enthusiast

Got my gearbox case and added a spool in the diff housing. *I have not upgraded from the hollow layshaft pin to something stronger yet, hopefully it holds up for a little while until then.

The motor is only mocked up for testing purposes
    Last edited by Defiant1; 12-27-2019 at 04:49 PM.

Pretty new parts!!!

Oh that pin lol. Itll be fine. Remember this is easy pull to speed you not bashing with it. I'm pretty sure I'm just running stock tranny components inside my tranny case. Its been so long since I've cracked it open lol.

Think about some weight on front too they tend to want to rocket launch without something in front keeping them down. I have plates i can put and take of weight on front of mine.

Just one more rc, then I'm done.
    Last edited by Briber; 12-28-2019 at 11:38 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Pretty new parts!!!

Oh that pin lol. Itll be fine. Remember this is easy pull to speed you not bashing with it. I'm pretty sure I'm just running stock tranny components inside my tranny case. Its been so long since I've cracked it open lol.

Think about some weight on front too they tend to want to rocket launch without something in front keeping them down. I have plates i can put and take of weight on front of mine.

I have a solution for the wheelie problem, it’s still in the mail though. How many RCs do you have?

RC Enthusiast
    Where Iím at right now,

Iím working on cutting some plastic on the chassis to fit the battery

Look at that big can on the back! WOW! Is that a 2050kV? I think I have that same motor in a few Typhon 6s Buggies...beastly motor.

What's next?
    MTFBWY

I have a solution for the wheelie problem, itís still in the mail though. How many RCs do you have?
    Nice! I have 13 Trx rcs currently, but that changes often lol, at one point I was at 15.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnergy View Post
    Look at that big can on the back! WOW! Is that a 2050kV? I think I have that same motor in a few Typhon 6s Buggies...beastly motor.

What's next?
    Yep itís a 2050kv motor and I canít wait to try it out. It alone weighs more than the rest of the car right now

Whatís next is finishing the suspension and axles. I was assembling my STRC steel axles today but discovered a manufacturing defect in them. Iíve heard some bad things about them so Iím just going to use traxxas steel axles instead.

Nice! I have 13 Trx rcs currently, but that changes often lol, at one point I was at 15.

Ooo Iím at around the same and I always want another. Lately Iíve been wanting an XMAXX or Kraton 8S or e revo but Iím trying to downsize. I have

4 nitro rustlers
    2 jatos
    1 nitro slash
    1 rustler vxl
    2 nitro tmaxxs
    1 nitro sport
    2 stampede xl5
    1 parts jato
    1 parts tmaxx
    + the rustler Iím building for speed

Iím starting to sell some cars. I need to get down to 6-7 cars.

... so Iím just going to use traxxas steel axles instead..... Lately Iíve been wanting an XMAXX...
    If you havent bought them already dont the plastic ones are fine for speed runs and cheaper when you have accidents needing to replace them. I wish you never crash but reality is you will. The more expensive parts you put on the more money your out when things get damaged. Why spend the extra money if it's not needed. Remember it's easy pull to WOT you not bashing doing hard throttle pulls instantly trying to pop wheelies. Just tryn to share my experience with speed running and having 2 buddies doing it I've seen all our crashes lol. My vote is 8s X all the way. The ERBE 2.0 is my personal fav but X is impressive when out running. People comment on its size often. Their both equally as tough and fun for different reasons. Thought itd be easier to post pics of fleet instead of typing them out.The dragster is Trx front end and rear bulk with Trx servo and radio so I consider it a Trx lol.
    Last edited by Briber; 12-29-2019 at 05:37 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    If you havent bought them already dont the plastic ones are fine for speed runs and cheaper when you have accidents needing to replace them. I wish you never crash but reality is you will. The more expensive parts you put on the more money your out when things get damaged. Why spend the extra money if it's not needed. Remember it's easy pull to WOT you not bashing doing hard throttle pulls instantly trying to pop wheelies. Just tryn to share my experience with speed running and having 2 buddies doing it I've seen all our crashes lol. My vote is 8s X all the way. The ERBE 2.0 is my personal fav but X is impressive when out running. People comment on its size often. Their both equally as tough and fun for different reasons. Thought itd be easier to post pics of fleet instead of typing them out.The dragster is Trx front end and rear bulk with Trx servo and radio so I consider it a Trx lol.
    Woah you have some nice stuff Iím jealous

If it were up to me my collection would be growing but the wife would kill me. Looks like you prefer electric, Iím trying to add more electrics to my collection but I love my nitros. Iím looking at a brushless emaxx in the near future. Iíve decided against an erevo because itís a much more complex design and I break something every day so that could get expensive. The emaxx looks simpler to me and I have plenty spare tmaxx parts if I ever need them.

Woah you have some nice stuff Iím jealous

If it were up to me my collection would be growing but the wife would kill me. Looks like you prefer electric, Iím trying to add more electrics to my collection but I love my nitros. Iím looking at a brushless emaxx in the near future. Iíve decided against an erevo because itís a much more complex design and I break something every day so that could get expensive. The emaxx looks simpler to me and I have plenty spare tmaxx parts if I ever need them.
    That's a good plan. The ERBE 2.0 is one tough rc!!! The only prob I had was steering servos but that took a while before they went bad. I went to single savox servo and havent looked back. I have literally tried stuff I've never tried before and wont try again and this thing has not disappointed!!! Like running across yard and right up trunk of huge tree in front yard, steer off it as its climbing to do back flip and land on wheels. The emaxx is not as tough as erevo and I only run it on 4s. Its broke several time on me on just moderate bashing. The erevo is on 6s always, it's just not fun on 4s lol. If you have spare parts then emaxx would be decent choice for ya. The design is different on suspension for erbe but it's just as simple as what your used too once you get familiar with it. Thanks I do enjoy every model in my fleet for different reasons they are a blast to have. Yes only electric, I had many unpleasant experiences with nitro early on in the hobby that just soured me to nitro. I love it, the sound, the smell, the cool factor but all the fuel spillage, oil all over rc, burnt hand on brake disk one time, the finicky nature of carb adjustments and not running right half the time, to me electric was so much less fuss, grab batt, plug it in and go. She bought my first Stampede 4x4 for anniversary gift 5yrs ago and has fully accepted my $15k depth in the hobby ever since. 2 of those rcs in pic are hers lol. Good wifey!!!

Last edited by Briber; 12-30-2019 at 11:11 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    That's a good plan. The ERBE 2.0 is one tough rc!!! The only prob I had was steering servos but that took a while before they went bad. I went to single savox servo and havent looked back. I have literally tried stuff I've never tried before and wont try again and this thing has not disappointed!!! Like running across yard and right up trunk of huge tree in front yard, steer off it as its climbing to do back flip and land on wheels. The emaxx is not as tough as erevo and I only run it on 4s. Its broke several time on me on just moderate bashing. The erevo is on 6s always, it's just not fun on 4s lol. If you have spare parts then emaxx would be decent choice for ya. The design is different on suspension for erbe but it's just as simple as what your used too once you get familiar with it. Thanks I do enjoy every model in my fleet for different reasons they are a blast to have. Yes only electric, I had many unpleasant experiences with nitro early on in the hobby that just soured me to nitro. I love it, the sound, the smell, the cool factor but all the fuel spillage, oil all over rc, burnt hand on brake disk one time, the finicky nature of carb adjustments and not running right half the time, to me electric was so much less fuss, grab batt, plug it in and go. She bought my first Stampede 4x4 for anniversary gift 5yrs ago and has fully accepted my $15k depth in the hobby ever since. 2 of those rcs in pic are hers lol. Good wifey!!!

Sounds like you run your cars much harder than I do, I must just be unlucky because I break something every time even on small jump. I was reading last night about people comparing the erevo to brushless emaxx and most agreed the Revo was tougher, coincidentally one of the comments on that thread was from you. The emaxx is more affordable right now and I have lots of metal and rpm suspension parts for it sitting in storage. I’ve beat on my nitro tmaxx and never broke anything so I suppose even a stock one is durable enough for me.

Sounds like you run your cars much harder than I do, I must just be unlucky because I break something every time even on small jump. I was reading last night about people comparing the erevo to brushless emaxx and most agreed the Revo was tougher, coincidentally one of the comments on that thread was from you. The emaxx is more affordable right now and I have lots of metal and rpm suspension parts for it sitting in storage. Iíve beat on my nitro tmaxx and never broke anything so I suppose even a stock one is durable enough for me.
    I love my emaxx dont get me wrong here, it's one of my cooler looking rcs. It's a blast to run with! Get what you want/can afford, if it breaks have fun bulletproofing it so it doesn't. And trust me, good track records of minimal issues on a couple of rcs(ERBE2.0 & Xmaxx) doesnt cancel the countless broken parts on all the other rcs, much like yourself, seemed to be every time one touched the ground it broke shortly after lol!!! I do run them hard and jumping ramps is definitely even harder on them, trees even more lol. Try not abuse them since I'm footing the bill and the mechanic here, but I definitely run them to their full potential pushing boundries at times lol. Sorry to get off topic here of your speed runner here.

RC Enthusiast
    I love my emaxx dont get me wrong here, it's one of my cooler looking rcs. It's a blast to run with! Get what you want/can afford, if it breaks have fun bulletproofing it so it doesn't. And trust me, good track records of minimal issues on a couple of rcs(ERBE2.0 & Xmaxx) doesnt cancel the countless broken parts on all the other rcs, much like yourself, seemed to be every time one touched the ground it broke shortly after lol!!! I do run them hard and jumping ramps is definitely even harder on them, trees even more lol. Try not abuse them since I'm footing the bill and the mechanic here, but I definitely run them to their full potential pushing boundries at times lol. Sorry to get off topic here of your speed runner here.

I don’t mind being off topic, I enjoy any discussion about RCs. I’ll get an xmaxx and emaxx sometime in the future

I didn’t make too much progress on my build. I finally got my bearings and the suspension together.

I mocked up the body to see what it’ll look like. I’m happy with the white/blue theme

Still have more parts coming in.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I donít mind being off topic, I enjoy any discussion about RCs. Iíll get an xmaxx and emaxx sometime in the future

I didnít make too much progress on my build. I finally got my bearings and the suspension together.

I mocked up the body to see what itíll look like. Iím happy with the white/blue theme

Still have more parts coming in.
    So, Iíll chime in. The RPM arms and front bumper need to go. I found without front weights around 65-70 your take flight. I eventually got a weighted Saga bumper(1.5 lbs). Kept me grounded, till 106 mph. I dropped the bumper and went closed wheel with a new 6S pack, yet to run it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    The bumper isn’t staying

RC Racer
    The lipo lock bumper works well keeping front end down. I'm only going around 60-65 mph, though. Plenty fast for me. I would love to do a 100+mph build, though.

RC Enthusiast
    I have the lipolockrc bumper and servo plate so I should have plenty weight holding it down. Iím still waiting for it to arrive... any day now.. hopefully.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    I dropped the bumper and went closed wheel
    Where did you get the body?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Where did you get the body?
    DeltaPlastik. They donít have any for Rustler length wheel bases. I have a thread detailing the build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    A little off topic but I converted my other rustler to 4x4, so worth it!! The stability and acceleration are a lot better. The braking is nice too, it doesnít spin out when braking hard. Just sometimes when I brake hard I see sparks shooting out, not sure if this is normal? I just need to buy wheels and a body to complete it.