RC Competitor

Reduce my slash 4x4 car weight

Hi,

I post before about my slash 4x4 with a computer on it running autonomously and I got a lot of help every time I asked. Really grateful to this community.

My car participates in races, and to run faster, I need to reduce the weight. Every ounce counts. On the computer side, I am doing things like shorten the wire, remove heat sink and screws, etc. I thing there should be a lot of things I can do on the car mechanical side. I am looking for comments about removing unnecessary parts or replacing with parts made with lighter materials. However, I can not use other traxxas model, nor can I change the size or shape. Something I am considering now are 1)remove the rear bumper, which may be difficult since it is required to hold other parts, unless I am willing to cut it off. 2)remove the handles on both side where we hold the car, which seemed difficulty too when I looked at. Anything else? Anyone know what is the heaviest part of the car?

Below are pics of my car.

Thank you very much.
    Last edited by gecong; 12-23-2019 at 01:53 AM.

You could turn it into a 2wd. Remove the center driveshaft, the front differential and cv axles.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Qualifier
    In traxxas part number 6737 originally on rustler 4x4 but will work fine on slash 4x4, the bottom piece is all you need to hold the rear a arm pins in and you can then lose the entire short course rear bumper. You can get that pretty cheap on eBay.

You may be able to lose a few grams by putting the original plastic suspension bits back instead of the shiny aluminum stuff

Really though you will probably be better off experimenting with tires for better traction since in your in door setting that’s the limiting factor. Maybe the guys over at the xo-1 and 4 tec forums can tell you more about that. In most cases shedding weight is an exercise in diminishing returns and you might lose some time due to the car being lighter and easier to break traction using the same tires on the same surface.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    In traxxas part number 6737 originally on rustler 4x4 but will work fine on slash 4x4, the bottom piece is all you need to hold the rear a arm pins in and you can then lose the entire short course rear bumper. You can get that pretty cheap on eBay.

You may be able to lose a few grams by putting the original plastic suspension bits back instead of the shiny aluminum stuff

Really though you will probably be better off experimenting with tires for better traction since in your in door setting that’s the limiting factor. Maybe the guys over at the xo-1 and 4 tec forums can tell you more about that. In most cases shedding weight is an exercise in diminishing returns and you might lose some time due to the car being lighter and easier to break traction using the same tires on the same surface.
    I am already using the carpet tires...
    Last edited by gecong; 12-24-2019 at 12:04 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by gecong View Post
    I am already using the carpet tires...
    Well then get ready to spend some $$$ trying to lighten the car then, the sky’s the limit.

RC Competitor
    Do you guys think my wheels have a problem? As you can see, they are not straight nor aligned with the forward direction. How can I fix it?

If you get Traxxas aluminum rear castor blocks and mount them on opposite sides (left on right and right on left), you can reduce the rear toe-in to only -1°.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Qualifier
    I would look at cutting the rear bumper. If I remember correctly the nerf bars (side bars) are held on by one or two screws at each end, it is actually pretty easy to take them off.
    I think you looked at battery size if I remember your other posts.
    I have seen holes drilled on the inside of the wheels but I cannot say if it will hurt durability.
    Other than that since you are not bashing or running at extreme speeds you could look at pieces that are held in by multiple screws and if one could be removed without compromising stability it could be worth it.
    Scott
    Slash 2wd
    Slash Ultimate 4wd
    Stampede 4wd

As for weight distribution, you said that you only race clock-wise (mostly right turns).

Have you thought about replacing the right side nerf bar with an external battery tray? With this, you can move your LiPo battery from inside the left side of the chassis to the outer right. This would seriously change the weight bias of your car. It may be too much, but it may work for you.

https://www.sagacustomrc.com/store/p...s_revised.html

Good luck!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    As for weight distribution, you said that you only race clock-wise (mostly right turns).

Have you thought about replacing the right side nerf bar with an external battery tray? With this, you can move your LiPo battery from inside the left side of the chassis to the outer right. This would seriously change the weight bias of your car. It may be too much, but it may work for you.

https://www.sagacustomrc.com/store/p...s_revised.html

Good luck!
    Hi, thanks a lot.

I will look into remove the nerf bar. As for the extra nerf bar to hold the battery outside, I am worried it will tilt the car when it moves straight ahead and impact the performance of my sensors.

RC Racer
    http://www.neobuggy.net/the-setup-guide/geometry/
    Here's a link to geometry that i believe would be helpful for you. You seem smart enough to understand it and should help you set up your car to hopefully corner better without flipping so much.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Not sure if the juice is worth the squeeze on this, but you could remove the shocks and replace them with solid links. (I assume the track is not bumpy)
    You can utilize the rear upper camber links and front steering links as possible options.