RC poster

New 15k fluid for front diff?

I cleaned out the front diff and put in new 15k silicone diff fluid. The fluid seems super thick and the diff is harder to turn by hand than prior to cleaning it. Seems like it was only grease that was in the diff prior to cleaning. my younger brother was the prior owner of the car and says he never cleaned anything since he built it many many years ago. Is the 15k fluid supposed to be this thick?

Canít wait to learn more.

Quote Originally Posted by Kablooie View Post
    I cleaned out the front diff and put in new 15k silicone diff fluid. The fluid seems super thick and the diff is harder to turn by hand than prior to cleaning it. Seems like it was only grease that was in the diff prior to cleaning. my younger brother was the prior owner of the car and says he never cleaned anything since he built it many many years ago. Is the 15k fluid supposed to be this thick?

Canít wait to learn more.
    My guess is, you probably didn't put it back together correctly. I'm running 15K in the front, 10K in the rear, and 75K in the center diff (#6780), and all three diffs turn workout any problem.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    15k is pretty thin.

If yours is tight, you may have over torqued the cup

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    15k is pretty thin.

If yours is tight, you may have over torqued the cup
    You have a good point! I just put 500,000 in my rear differential. Ot is pretty tight. So if his is tight with 15,000 something is wrong.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC poster
    After reinstalling the carrier and axel/shafts, it is rotating by hand just fine. My local shop only had 15k other than 100k and I didnt want to wait for an amazon delivery of 50k. thanks for the replies.