RC poster

2300kV or 2700kV brushless motor?

Hi, I'm looking at 2 Hobbywing Axe Motors, a 2300 KV one and a 2700 kv one. I plan on putting one on my trx6 for crawling.

I want a nice amount of torque. but still, be able to go to relatively high speeds. I'm not sure if I should get the 2300KV r 2700 KV

Any recommendations?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawlerMan View Post
    Hi, I'm looking at 2 Hobbywing Axe Motors, a 2300 KV one and a 2700 kv one. I plan on putting one on my trx6 for crawling.

I want a nice amount of torque. but still, be able to go to relatively high speeds. I'm not sure if I should get the 2300KV r 2700 KV

Any recommendations?
    Just my opinion but I would go with the 2300kv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    Get the 2300kv as said. You can gear up if you like for more speed. It will run cooler and have more torque as well.

I am running the HW 2500kv in my TRX6 with stock gearing on 3S. Torque is great, but I was expecting the rig to be faster. The Castle 1900kv motor in my TRX4 is a lot faster.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC poster
    In gearing up do you mean going on to high gear, or changing the spur/pinion?
    I really don't feel like changing the gears (as in switching them out),

I've heard that the TRX6 runs slower than the TRX4s with the same motor. I have a 2300 Kv on my trx4, but I don't know which one I should get for a heavier rig.

RC Qualifier
    For the TRX-6 I'd go for the 2700kV. The 2300kV is a 540 can and has much lower torque than the 550 can 2700kV motor.
    Be aware that the 2700kV has a 5mm axle so you can't go any lower than a 11T pinion (the motor comes with a 12T 32p pinion gear which fits perfectly).
    I can't see a reason why the TRX-6 should run slower than the TRX-4 because they have the same gear ratio (unless you count in a slightly higher drag from the third axle).
    I run the AXE 2700kV system on 3S in my TRX-4 Defender which weighs in at 10.5 pounds, and it has a killer torque and more speed than I'll ever want - at least 60% faster than stock (12/45T gearing)
    Take a look at this video of a TRX-6 with the AXE 3300kV system with 12/45 gearing and 3S (too fast for my liking):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWDz9p31blg
    Last edited by Viking; 12-25-2019 at 02:06 AM.

RC Competitor
    Even if both motors were the same size, you'd get more torque from the higher kv motor ( there seems to be quite a few people who don't realize this). And with a crawler, a higher kv motor also would give you better low end, and better throttle response, especially if you gear the higher kv motor to have the same top speed as a lower kv motor. Honestly I'd recommend even higher kv, I run 3800kv on 3s geared nice and low, but you'd need to change your gearing for sure ( which you said you would like to avoid) and would need to make sure the esc can handle that kv on 3s. Don't be shy with changing your gearing. It's an important part of crawlers (well all rc cars), especially when going brushless. No matter what motor you choose, you most likely will enjoy it more with gearing it differently (most likely gearing it down).

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    You want the 550 can and I'd go 3300 axe. I have one in a bronco and the power and speed are great. Put it in low gear and it crawls as good as the 2300 axe in my sport. You don't need the speed but sometimes the wheel spin will get you out of places the lower kv motors won't. Today I got high centered on some logs and I'd switch to high speed gear and gun the throttle, most of the time the momentum will get your wheels some traction and get things going.

RC Champion
    I have the Hobbywing axe in mine 2300kv she flies
    2wd Slash VXL, 2wd Slash 9t , E Maxx 2200kv ,Trx4