RC poster

Great Him's build thread.

So I got my son a 2wd xvl slash(should have gotten him a 4wd one...) Anyhow I have done a few mods to it so far. Here is a list of what s been done.

Started out with a brand new Slash VXL 4x4.

RPM arms f/r
    RPM bearing hub/spindles f/r
    RPM caster blocks
    Hot Racing slipper clutch w/aluminum bearing buahing -in stalled
    Revo HD slipper clutch w/aluminum pads and aluminum bearing buahing -spare
    11 tooth pinion gear
    Pro-Line Trencher 2.8 tires
    Pro-Line extended body mounts w/studs and caps
    Racers Edge Big Bore shocks
    9000mah 100c 3s battery x2
    7600mah 25c 2s battery x2
    Extended battery tie down
    Chassis cover/bag
    ESC fan
    Motor fan
    Stainless chassis screws
    VW Baja Bug body for use with paddle tires
    Toyota Tundra body

Will be getting a rpm rear bumper and have a set of Fast Eddy bearings on order, as well as a traxxas center diff

I burned up the stock clutch on the second 3s battery and bigger tires. So I upgraded to the Hot Racing clutch and aluminum bearing bushing before I found out about the Revo clutch upgrade. That's also the reason I went down to the smaller pinion gear as well

I just busted my first front axle this morning racing around with my son, not sure if it was from the cold or just... I was only using the 2s battery, I broke the outer yoke at the hub, so I pulled the inner yoke apart and just used it as a 2wd. Man what a difference, the car is so had to control and no where near as capable... Has anyone found a good upgraded axle set that would hold up to 3s ?

Any recommendations for a color to paint the Baja Bug body, I kinda want to do a multi color body but just can't make up my mind... I have metallic black, sliver, gunmetal metallic, and metallic red. I'm open to other colors/ideas as well.

(others may chime as well) but on the "stock" clutch...looks like it isn't tightened up enough and its spinning too much under load. I tighten mine down all the way, then back out 1/4 to 1/2 turn and try it again. Would also follow suit on the others as well.

For the axles...MIPS will be your best choice with 3S and 2.8 tires, and is the choice of most others as well.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroBugg View Post
    (others may chime as well) but on the "stock" clutch...looks like it isn't tightened up enough and its spinning too much under load. I tighten mine down all the way, then back out 1/4 to 1/2 turn and try it again. Would also follow suit on the others as well.

For the axles...MIPS will be your best choice with 3S and 2.8 tires, and is the choice of most others as well.
    Thanks, yeah I wondered about that... But I didn't play with it out of the box and I figured it would be tight enough or set correctly from the factory... If the truck is meant/3s capable then one would think the clutch would be up to 3s from the factory... But I can also see the factory setting them up to slip and not break parts when some one slams one of these into a wall and holds the throttle down stripping gears ect.

One thing that I have noticed is that many of the screws/fasteners on these lose out of the box, I had my motor mount screw loosen up on day 3 and almost stripped out the spur gear, shock caps and bottoms were loose(on both cars) and a few other things like tie-rod heim joints... Oh well it's a good way to learn a little about these trucks I guess.

RC Qualifier
    For that factory setup.. I am always looking RTR as ready to reassemble
    Check everything before driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hobbies and assumptions rarely work out in profitable ways.

RC poster
    What's everyone's thoughts on the Robinson Racing metal spur gear? I put the Revo HD clutch in it tonight but haven't ran it yet. This was on the fist(maybe 2nd) 3s after upgrading to the aluminum bushing and cranking down the adjuster nut -about 3/4 turn back from completely locked down. I have run through several 2s batteries. But today out on some trails behind our house I did this in about 20min... Glad I decided to pick up a few spur gears lol

I'm also thinking about upgrading to the Revo Hot Racing clutch as well and taking this Hot Racing clutch and putting it in my son's 2wd Slash...

RC poster
    Painted a new body last night, the Pro-Line full fender bug. I didn't realize the wing was on the front of the lexan until I cut it off/up... Oh well no wing for this bug. But I am happy with how it came out, the windows are a bit darker than I wanted but oh well.

RC poster
    So after some digging through the trash I found the wing and it wasn't cut up (serves me right for working on this thing at 1am last night/this morning lol.

Now if I can just stop breaking axles, definitely time for a MIP upgrade.

RC poster
    So I'm trying something new... An "unbreakable body" from Pro-Line. The monster bash. They also say that they are unpaintable, but I don't buy that for one second. I also bought some Duratrax Bandito MT tires for it, as I have chewed through my Trenchers putting too much time on the pavement.

RC poster
    I really like the bug. I just got a used 4X4 and it has cooling fans and the servo sticks up high. I don't want to dump a ton of money into something I haven't driven much yet.
    The axles on mine (all 4) are solid, but sloppy - dog bones into cups. What setup are you using in yours? I don't even want to drive it with what's in there now. Thanks.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
    I really like the bug. I just got a used 4X4 and it has cooling fans and the servo sticks up high. I don't want to dump a ton of money into something I haven't driven much yet.
    The axles on mine (all 4) are solid, but sloppy - dog bones into cups. What setup are you using in yours? I don't even want to drive it with what's in there now. Thanks.
    I am using the Traxxas upgraded axles, 6851a and 6852a they are for the rustler but fit the slash just fine and are much stronger. Running 3s and I have only broken one while jumping and landing with full throttle. They are like $2-3 more per set. But last much longer I was breaking the other axles like every couple of days.

RC poster
    For the truck body, I learned on another forum that lining the whole inside with duct or Gorilla Tape toughens it up quite a bit.

RC poster
    A JC Concepts Bajr body in Dark Mica Blue with a Gunmetal stripe from the scoop back. I really like this body especially for when I put the paddle tires on for the sand.