RC Competitor

Question E-Revo or Maxx... (Which Would you Go With?)

My wife surprised me with an E-Revo for Christmas. I had been talking about one earlier in the year but got busy and forgot about it. So now that I have it (unopened), I want to make sure it is what I should go with before opening.

I drive mostly in the grass, long paved driveway, and some hard trails around the house.

I already have a Slash Ultimate 4x4 and Bigfoot 2x4. I've added lager tires to the Slash and I really like that but sometimes I still feel like it is too low compared to the Bigfoot so that slows it down in the yard.

Thoughts - which would you go with and why?

Thank you!!!

RC Qualifier
    I donít like the erv2 because the limited battery space the Maxx is too small for me as I have an xmaxx and am looking at maybe something 1/5 or 1/6 scale Iím really not sure yet.

But in my opinion s used 8s xmaxx or a udr are two great options!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my E Revo 2.0....so much I bought a second one. I do not own Maxx but to me its too small. Just my personal opinion on its size as I have never driven one. And as far as limited battery space as mentioned above...I dont seem to have that issue personally. I fit 3s packs easily up to 7200mah in mine. My packs of choice are my SMC 4500 hard case packs...still tons of room w them!

RC Competitor
    All are good points. I'll keep collecting feedback.

What are your thoughts on ground clearance? The specs show that the E-Revo is 73mm from the ground and the Maxx is 49. Just based on the pictures, that is hard to believe that the E-Revo body is higher off the ground than the Maxx.

I've had erevos for years, v1 & v2 with various upgrades. I've ran maxx few times on 3s. They are 2 different rcs lol in size, power and handling you cant just group together and say choose. They both have pros. With that said I get much more use and fun outta ERBE 2.0 stock and is my go to for many more pros than my smaller pede/maxx sized rcs. I know their considered 1/10 but theres clear difference in size and what each can handle in terms of terrain. The ERBEv2 being bigger with different type of suspension than maxx, eats up terrain where maxx gets stopped cold. At least that's the way it was when we were outside bashing both together. The bonus with erbe 2 is you can change tires and suspension preload to make it a crawler almost. See the suspension movement outta this setup. It's a ERBE 1.0 from when first got a ERBE but you get the idea. The maxx is closer to Stampede 4x4 size. Here is a comparison of erbe and stampede sizes. Mine went everywhere my buddies highly upgraded summit went. But can be a asphalt wheelie ripper too. My obvious vote is for ERBE 2.0!!!

This is my ERBE 2.0
    Last edited by Briber; 12-26-2019 at 01:35 PM.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Briber View Post
    My obvious vote is for ERBE 2.0!!!
    I appreciate the comparison. I didn't realize there was a Maxx until yesterday while looking on the Traxxas website for a battery. After seeing it, I thought "what is this - I better wait before I unbox". After watching a couple YouTube videos, the Maxx is smaller than I realized just based on standalone photos of it. Some mentioned that the Maxx is harder to repair but hopefully that isn't something I hate to do often.

Here are a couple size comparison pics. Not mine but snagged from the web. You can see how much smaller the Maxx is vs the 2.0. I say...you got an awesome wife that got you a 2.0...keep it...run it...and tune it for what you need. One of mine is a street machine with tight suspension and can move like a cheetah on asphalt...my other is being built into an off road monster. Totally versatile to what you want!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

In my opinion the E-revo is the one if you want fast and the Maxx if you want stunts. The Maxx is extremely fun but doesn't handle well. The Maxx also runs one battery if that's a concern.

If I had to choose, I'd take the Maxx, but then, I have many other cars to fill in the gaps.

If I where YOU, I'd be very thankful you have her as a wife and keep the E-Revo!

RC Competitor
    E revo 2.0 all the way, more parts out and more aftermarket support at the moment...plus is faster

RC Competitor
    >>I say...you got an awesome wife that got you a 2.0...keep it...run it...and tune it for what you need.

Keep the wife and run her and tune her for what I need? Can you send me a guide for this?

haha. Yes, she is great. She bought me the Slash Ultimate for Valentines Day. Blessed guy I am.

You guys have convinced me to stick with the E-Revo.

Now, I need to decide which batteries to get. I'll go with 3s. I have the Traxxas Dual charger but doubt I'll buy Traxxas batteries this time.

Thanks!!!

Sorry...was referring to the E Revo 2.0...not tuning and running the wife....LOL! No disrespect meant by that run on sentence.

As for batteries...my buddies and I run SMC packs. Honestly the best packs I have ever run for the buck and their customer service is amazing. Never had an issue with any of them and we run them hard.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RICK DIZZLE; 12-27-2019 at 12:44 AM.

RC Qualifier
    I think this is one of those things that is an open ended question. If you have run nothing but 4wd slash/stampede, get an E REVO 2.0 because there is nothing as breath taking as seeing a 1/8 truggy making high speed turns like, to borrow from others on this forum, RC spider

OTOH if you are used to 1/8 truggies, buggies and the like, the MAXX is a hoot to throw around and not worry about breaking expensive race spec parts.

Just my two cents.

RC Qualifier
    I vote e revo 2.0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    I would vote for the erevo. I have a Maxx for about a month or so and the dollar value proposition just doesn't make sense. The Maxx comes with plastic driveshafts, which for me are breaking constantly. No major crashes or bashes, just usual sorts of beatings. I've had two break at the diff-end as the retaining pin-screw fails, and at the joint end by the hubs.
    So basically, to make this Maxx work at all, you've got to plan for the metal driveshaft upgrade. All in, ebay pricing for that upgrade is $140, msrp is more. I've also had two C-hubs break (same side, which is annoying bc the replacements come in packs of two, one each side). So I've ordered the aluminum hubs, for another $53. Don't know if the corresponding part on the erevo tends to break. So I'm into this Maxx for $190 in upgrades just to make it so the truck is halfway reliable. Before I finally pulled the trigger on the metal upgrades, I had bought plastic replacement parts, before I knew that they would never last. So that was another $40 or so there. So I'm really into it for like $230 on top of the original truck.

Mostly, I use the maxx on a daily basis with my Australian shepard who chases it around a field. So being able to do the stunts with the maxx and get messy is the point. Making the front end jump up and down, dancing around on the wheelie bar, getting up on just left side/right side wheels in a corner, doing multiple flips end over end. Makes it way engaging for the doggo. So for my purposes, the high center of gravity of the Maxx and inherent instability of the platform is actually what I need.
    Last edited by dimsdale; 01-09-2020 at 09:50 AM.

Keep the E-Revo and start laying hints about it needing the Maxx to keep it company.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
    Keep the E-Revo and start laying hints about it needing the Maxx to keep it company.
    2nd that!!!!!!! See my sig below!!!! Lol
    My wife bought my first rc, Stampede 4x4 five yrs ago which started my madness in to the hobby. She has a cortney force edition slash xl5 I turned in to a vxl and she has a Teton with brushless sys. She also bought me a brand new ERBE 1.0 for my birthday 3yrs ago too! Good wifeys we have!!!

I give huge thanks to all the females that are happy about our addiction here and dont care bout $ invested. Even bigger admiration for the ones that do that and then want/get one to run with us!!!!!

Just one more rc, then I'm done.

Last edited by Briber; 01-09-2020 at 02:20 PM.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

RC Racer
    The Erevo is older, meaning it has more aftermarket parts and upgrades. I'ts also much larger and wider, and is very rollover resistant, due to its wide stance. IMO, the maxx is just too small, I have an Xmaxx and my friend has an Erevo2.0, and even the erevo is tiiiiiiiny (over-exaggeration) compared to the Xmaxx, and the Maxx is even smaller. The Erevo's better on the grass. While it may look like it has a lower suspension than the maxx, I do believe its about the same. Looking at the terrain your running on, the erevo is your best option.
    Jumping: maneuver and pray it won't break.