Thread: Help!!

RC Competitor

Angry Help!!

I recently got a Slash 4x4 for Christmas and was running it in the snow for a while... I only have one battery so while it charged I would clean and dry the car. Then one time I plugged in the battery, pushed the throttle and then lost all power. I smelled smoke so took off the body and pulled the plug. The esc was smoking and spraying black stuff. I figured I blew my esc but don't know how. Why would it have blown its waterproof and it was fairly dry. I was in snow so I don't think it overheated. I was running a 3s 5000 mah Lipo in it... I have the brushless model so my esc is vxl-3s. I need a new esc so should I just buy the same one. Will it just blow again? Is my motor damaged? sorry for all the questions im New to this. I would like to keep the cost fairly cheap but don't know what I need.

Contact Traxxas Customer Support.
    The Super Derecho

Sometimes the water-proofing isn't perfect. Also, the three cables that connect from the motor to the ESC, right where the cables join, can sometimes allow water to create a short-circuit as there is often a small gap in the shrinkwrap.

I doubt the motor is damaged. You might pick up something like a Castle Sidewinder ESC instead of replacing the Velineon ESC. Just keep in mind that the Velineon system uses 3.5mm bullet connectors between the ESC and motor where most similar systems use 4mm bullets. If you replaced the ESC but kept the Velineon motor, you would need some cheap adapters such as these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/273363258845

RC Racer
    Contact Traxxas Customer Support first, as Double G stated.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Did you change the pinion? 3s pits more strain and heat. The fact it was in snow doesn't mean it didn't overheat

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    Did you change the pinion? 3s pits more strain and heat. The fact it was in snow doesn't mean it didn't overheat
    I bought it used so I didnt but everything looks stock.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Contact Traxxas Customer Support.
    I bought it used though could I still??

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by GotNoRice View Post
    Sometimes the water-proofing isn't perfect. Also, the three cables that connect from the motor to the ESC, right where the cables join, can sometimes allow water to create a short-circuit as there is often a small gap in the shrinkwrap.

I doubt the motor is damaged. You might pick up something like a Castle Sidewinder ESC instead of replacing the Velineon ESC. Just keep in mind that the Velineon system uses 3.5mm bullet connectors between the ESC and motor where most similar systems use 4mm bullets. If you replaced the ESC but kept the Velineon motor, you would need some cheap adapters such as these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/273363258845
    Where is the best place to buy a new Esc?? Amazon?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by GotNoRice View Post

How do you guys feel about this one??? Its 27$ and looks kinda cheap but has 5 star review from 18 people.... Idk if it just looks cheap or looks different. https://www.ebay.com/p/1337588674

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Kw3277 View Post
    How do you guys feel about this one??? Its 27$ and looks kinda cheap but has 5 star review from 18 people.... Idk if it just looks cheap or looks different. https://www.ebay.com/p/1337588674
    This one is not waterproof though so I don't thimk.so

I had the sidewinder sct sv3 in my stampede and it ran pretty warm on 3S and I replaced it with a max10 sct before it died. While it can handle 3S, I'm not sure it's well suited for a 4wd truck like the rustler (which is basically a LCG stampede). If you were running 2S, then it would be ok.

I only keep the sct sv3 in case the vxl-3s in my converted ejato dies on me as it should be enough esc to push that truck around on 3S ok.

I'm assuming the one you linked is the basic sidewinder and not the sct which is rated for larger/heavier heavier vehicle than the standard one. So it would likely not last long in that truck on 3S.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

Quote Originally Posted by Kw3277 View Post
    It's a Sidewinder SV2. I've run both a Sidewinder SV2 and SV3 in one of my Stampede 4x4 trucks in the past. I don't have any experience with them in a Slash 4x4. They do indeed get hot if you push them hard with 3S but so does the VXL-3s, so I wouldn't say that it's any worse than the stock ESC in that regard. You can get an optional fan to help keep the ESC cooler. The SV2 is not waterproof, but it is "water resistant". I've run mine in the rain and through puddles but maybe I just got lucky.

It is a pretty old ESC at this point though, and it does have a pretty weak BEC, although it's never been a problem for me while using a stock 2075 or 2056 servo.