RC Competitor

Question WANTED: 3s Batteries that FIT (6000+mAh)

Many of you have had the v2 long enough to know which 3s batteries fit on day 1 but not day 100 (after some swelling). That said, what do you recommend?

I read many old threads where SMC was recommended but the links are dead and the 7200 3s that is supposed to "fit" doesn't show on their website.

I want 3s for speed
    At least 30 minutes of run time

Much appreciation. No need to waste money when I can learn from the experts.

RC Champion
    You mean these. They have them.

RC Competitor
    I think that is what they were referring to. Size looks like a good fit. The ones I was seeing were larger and many said it was very snug new so I could only imagine after some time it would be challenging.

Do you use these and do they fit after a few months?

RC Enthusiast
    They are very snug in every dimension, but they have a built in shell to keep the shape. I've only got a few cycles on mine though. My previous set (some brand sold by hobbytown) got deformed in a crash.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    If your going for speed. You want a higher C rating. The smc 4500mha is at 90C the larger pack posted is 75C.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

/\ this is very true..plus you will have the benefit of greater weight savings as well!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    If your going for speed. You want a higher C rating. The smc 4500mha is at 90C the larger pack posted is 75C.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    To be fair though, 75C translates to draining a battery in under a minute. For a 7200mah battery, that's 540 amps for 48 seconds if I did my math right. (And made a lot of simplifying assumptions that don't quite apply to the real world)

Not sure your going to find anything that gets you 30 minutes of run time. I measure the time for every single run I do and I'm lucky if I reach 24 minutes with relatively consistent running at my skate park which is a lot of short bursts and slow cruising around. At my grass bmx track, I get 21 minutes if I'm lucky, but it's more spread out and I pull WOT more often.

That's with hobbystar 6200mah 3S packs and a MMv2/2200kv 16/54 gearing and strapped trencher 3.8's.

The added weight of the 6200's vs the HRB 5000's I use is enough to notice and I'll likely stick to running near 5000mah packs instead. The 6200's fit fine (probably have 30+ cycles through them after using them in 3 trucks for 6 months), but the added weight is very noticeably harsh on it on landings. With the 5000's, I get 18-20 minutes depending on where I'm running.

Although, now that I have a max6/2050kv with 19/54 gearing, I noticed my run time was about 17 minutes. Could have been impacted due to it being around 45F outside. This was also only the 2nd run with the max6/2050kv in it and first run with the 19T. The previous was with an 18T. I would have gotten more cycles through it the last time out but I busted a tie rod half way into a second set of packs and didn't have a spare with me.
    Last edited by olds97_lss; 12-27-2019 at 01:50 PM.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Osensnolf View Post
    Many of you have had the v2 long enough to know which 3s batteries fit on day 1 but not day 100 (after some swelling). That said, what do you recommend?

I read many old threads where SMC was recommended but the links are dead and the 7200 3s that is supposed to "fit" doesn't show on their website.

I want 3s for speed
    At least 30 minutes of run time

Much appreciation. No need to waste money when I can learn from the experts.
    There’s a new model. 72380-3S1P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use SMC 7200 3s in my 2.0. For a while now. 7200 fit fine, snug but fine. I have a older set of 6700 that have swollen and are tight. I've notice the case is starting to rip on the edge of one of my 7200 but still have tons inserting them in tray before I'm concerned about it. I've had 7200 year and half now. Idk bout 6700 2-3 yrs now maybe. I'll time my runs but I'd guess I'm getting over 30-40 minutes run time on 7200. I'd be shocked if I was getting less. I'm curious now. My 9000 2s in my 1.0 would give me 50 minutes run time.

Just one more rc, then I'm done.
    Last edited by Briber; 12-28-2019 at 07:14 PM.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

Quote Originally Posted by Briber View Post
    I use SMC 7200 3s in my 2.0. For a while now. 7200 fit fine, snug but fine. I have a older set of 6700 that have swollen and are tight. I've notice the case is starting to rip on the edge of one of my 7200 but still have tons inserting them in tray before I'm concerned about it. I've had 7200 year and half now. Idk bout 6700 2-3 yrs now maybe. I'll time my runs but I'd guess I'm getting over 30-40 minutes run time on 7200. I'd be shocked if I was getting less. I'm curious now. My 9000 2s in my 1.0 would give me 50 minutes run time.

I got 42 minutes in my v1 when running at the skate park with SMC 9000mah packs on a 60F day. That was with 18/64 gearing and tmaxx 3.3 tires on it.

You may be surprised how much run time you actually get if you don't sit around much. When I bash, I'm typically alone and I rarely stop except to walk over to flip it over when I roll. I don't run WOT all the time, but I'm almost always in motion.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Racer
    Your math isn’t wrong but the truck does not draw 540 amps.... ever. The wires would literally melt if that were the case. The Current meter on my blue tooth app shows a max amp draw of around 100 amps. Which means you could run a 20C 7200mah battery.

RC Racer
    I think you guys are putting too much credit on C rating. C rating is more of a marketing scheme and people chase it because they don’t fully understand it. First off, amps are pulled not pushed. For example if you have a motor and it pulls 50 amps, it will pull that 50amps regardless of the amount of current that the power supply has. Think about any small motor in your house. Any AC motor hooked up in your house will only pull the current it needs and those are hooked up to an infinite supply essentially. Now in the case of our trucks I have a current meter on my blue tooth app and my truck maxes out at about 105 amps. I am running stock electronics with 15/50 gearing. Assuming this is a close reading, and I have a 5000mah 25c battery that battery can supply 125amps without ruining the battery. Now if I have a 7200mah battery at 25c it can supply 180amps. But the motor will only pull 105amps. That’s it, nothing more. As long as the battery can supply the max amps the motor demands, thats all you need. Now I know people will say “oh well I have a 7200mah 90c battery and it outperforms my 5000 50c battery so it must be the C rating.” Well its not, the reason for the “performance” has to do with the capacity of the battery. A larger capacity battery will have less voltage sag under load as compared to a smaller capacity. Think about your house again and everything thats plugged in. The power grid has essentially infinite capacity, the more stuff you turn on in your house does not lower grid voltage. Now think about a small gasoline generator, the more and more you plug in the slower the generator runs and the lower the voltage drops. Bottom line is, C rating is way overrated and people depend on it too much. Now for the battery thing here, SMC batteries are great. I have some for my XMaxx and EREvo and they do last a long time and yes they fit the ERevo. It’s a tight fit but it does fit. I have a total of 8, 2 sets of 4s and 2 sets of 3s and unfortunately I had one 3s battery puff really really bad, not sure why it did because it puffed while it was in storage charge.

RC Enthusiast
    Maybe I should have been more clear in my first post. There battery won't "push" 540A. But it can deliver that if asked by whatever load you have it hooked up to (if you believe the manufacturer rating of the battery, ignore the nonlinearity of battery performance in the real world, and hope the load won't vaporize under that much power). All I was saying is that beyond a certain point, increased C rating is not going to be meaningful.

Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    I got 42 minutes in my v1 when running at the skate park with SMC 9000mah packs on a 60F day. That was with 18/64 gearing and tmaxx 3.3 tires on it.

You may be surprised how much run time you actually get if you don't sit around much. When I bash, I'm typically alone and I rarely stop except to walk over to flip it over when I roll. I don't run WOT all the time, but I'm almost always in motion.
    I just bash around front yard and jump the island we have in middle of our court. I like wheelies to out on main drag in subdivision. Some ramp jumping but I got tired of fixing stuff. I fix a lot less without the ramp of death as we nicknamed it. It's only 18" high but I used to get 9'+ high jumps with p4des on 4s. All I know is a lot of times I get tired of running my 2.0 on smc 7200 3s before it hits lvc, that's good enough for me. To solve runtime problems just buy extra set or two of batts and happy bashing. 2s, 3s, 4s & a lonely 6s lol. I have 2 more 2s batts but there not SMC and stay in my dragster rc.

What is bad about having so many is trying to cycle all them at least once every 6months through the winter season. I've never heard of a batt swelling or puffing, there is a big difference in the two, while in storage charge. That's a first sorry to hear that. Puffing refers to enough swelling it damages itself like cracking the case or cells wont charge. Swelling is a normal condition that can happen from average running conditions. Just wanted to be clear. I've had more batts than these, I have a graveyard of bad batts that a buddy is gonna take good cells outta them and make functioning batts again. Hes does electronics soldering and can solder the plates inside safely. I've had my share of puffing and swelling and accident damage to my batts.

Here's a good lipo read. https://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6289866
    Last edited by Briber; 12-29-2019 at 11:13 AM.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by omen View Post
    Maybe I should have been more clear in my first post. There battery won't "push" 540A. But it can deliver that if asked by whatever load you have it hooked up to (if you believe the manufacturer rating of the battery, ignore the nonlinearity of battery performance in the real world, and hope the load won't vaporize under that much power). All I was saying is that beyond a certain point, increased C rating is not going to be meaningful.

I totally agree with you (I myself probably wasn’t clear as well hahaha ) and that was the point I was trying to make in my other post and go into a little deeper of an explanation just for general knowledge. Yes C rating to a point is meaningless.