RC poster

Traxxas rally or tamiya xv 01 and some general upgrade ??s

I used to build and play with (mostly) tamiya RC s when I was a kid (astute, blackfoot, clod, rc-10) now 30 years later my 7year old got a cheap rc for christmas and thought about buying a hobby grade car for myself and I'd let the boy use it to a little. I am inclined to get the traxxas fiesta rally car . But I'm also intrigued with tamiya s front engine chassis xv01 . Any thoughts? Pros and cons?

The traxxas would be a little cheaper since I am starting from scratch I dont have any radios, batteries , chargers etc. And it looks like the fiesta rally is nearly identical to slash 4 x4 so there are plenty of upgrades out there

And I guess that's my next question . Is there an aluminum lcg chassis to be had that will work on the rally fiesta? And if I wanted to put the Ford raptor shell on the traxxas rally would I only need new body posts?

Thanks for your help. I'm not a complete newbie... but I'm 30 years rusty .

Oh and one last question... all of the aluminum billet machined upgrades... they look really nice but are a little spendy . I was thinking the drive train components and chassis would be worth it perhaps but what is the consensus regarding the value these components add? To me it seems like a cosmetic vanity thing but correct me if I am wrong please

RC Champion
    I would get the traxxas for the reason of better parts support from pretty much any hobby shop both in store and online. I donít think youíll be getting any parts for the tamiya at an in store shop. It would have to most likely be ordered. Also the rally can easily be converted to many different platforms with a few changes. As for the chassis, there are some companies that produce aluminum chassis for racing purposes. SSC makes a nice aluminum chassis that makes the slash 4x4, and other same chassis platforms, that is more purpose built. They are nice chassis and well made. Anyhow, as for upgrades, shocks, drive shafts, steering blocks and hub carriers, a fan for the motor, would be some of the first things I would look into getting. You can spend some money on these things pretty fast. But that is with any vehicle of the like. The rally 4x4 can easily be converted into a few different variants with just some parts changes. Not sure the tamiya is capable of that. Iím sure if you went to a tamiya based forum you would hear that the tamiya is the better vehicle. But IMO, the traxxas has a lot more going for it with the chassis you get. You can make it buggy, monster truck, short course truck, or a speed run vehicle with just some parts changes. Anyhow. Good luck on your purchase, enjoy whatever you get and spend all the time you can with your son!! That is what matters most!!!

RC poster
    Thanks. I probably will go with the traxxas. I was looking at the losi tenacity rtr too but for the reasons you mentioned the traxxas rally is the leading candidate. When I was a kid the rc 10 was the most popular car and you could convert it into anything, a truck, a dirt oval racer, on-road, 4wd etc. It looks like the traxxas rally car is similar . Thanks again