RC Competitor

slipper clutch or center diff??

I have heard about slipper clutch and diffs. I don't know which one I have. Which one do I want

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If it is stock, you have a slipper clutch.

If you want a slipper or a center diff, depends on what your use of the vehicle is. I prefer a slipper clutch in all my vehicles.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    If it is stock, you have a slipper clutch.

If you want a slipper or a center diff, depends on what your use of the vehicle is. I prefer a slipper clutch in all my vehicles.
    Is there any way to tell

The easiest way to determine whether you have a slipper, or a center diff, is to look at the spur gear (the pinion gear is the small-diameter gear that attached to the motor's output shaft, the spur gear is the large-diameter gear that meshes against the pinion gear). If you see a nylock nut & spring pressing a metal plate against the spur, you've got a slipper...and, if you see a plastic or metal "housing" (slightly smaller in diameter than the spur) attached to the spur, you've got a center diff.

For "bashing", crawling, and other activities where you're wheels/tires might get caught in a 'bind', you want a slipper, as that's what releases pressure in the drivetrain. On the other hand, if you're racing (on-road, or off-road), or other similar activities, a center diff is preferential. If you're just doing "normal everyday stuff" on the street, dirt, grass, etc, without jumps, flips, and other acrobatics, either will do you equally well.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    The easiest way to determine whether you have a slipper, or a center diff, is to look at the spur gear (the pinion gear is the small-diameter gear that attached to the motor's output shaft, the spur gear is the large-diameter gear that meshes against the pinion gear). If you see a nylock nut & spring pressing a metal plate against the spur, you've got a slipper...and, if you see a plastic or metal "housing" (slightly smaller in diameter than the spur) attached to the spur, you've got a center diff.

For "bashing", crawling, and other activities where you're wheels/tires might get caught in a 'bind', you want a slipper, as that's what releases pressure in the drivetrain. On the other hand, if you're racing (on-road, or off-road), or other similar activities, a center diff is preferential. If you're just doing "normal everyday stuff" on the street, dirt, grass, etc, without jumps, flips, and other acrobatics, either will do you equally well.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    So the slipper just keeps driveshaft from snapping ??

As per page 24 in the manual:

The model is equipped with an adjustable slipper clutch that is built into the large spur gear. The purpose of the slipper clutch is to regulate the amount of power sent to the wheels to prevent tire spin.
    https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...-OM-EN-R04.pdf
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Also, the center diff is not to be used with larger cell count batteries. Just asking to fry it....

Also, the center diff is not to be used with larger cell count batteries. Just asking to fry it....
    True, true (I only run 2S on my off-road racers, anyway).

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    As per page 24 in the manual:

The model is equipped with an adjustable slipper clutch that is built into the large spur gear. The purpose of the slipper clutch is to regulate the amount of power sent to the wheels to prevent tire spin.
    https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...-OM-EN-R04.pdf
    Interestingly the Rustler 4x4 vxl seems to be anticipating people running 3s more often than not, since it comes with the full aluminum slipper pads that E Revo 1.0 slipper rebuild kits uses I what they call “revo spec slipper clutch”. I have had good luck with leaving the clutch spring a little looser than with older gray pads even on 4s 2200kv power. I hope the Sl4sh vxl versions eventually get that too since I don’t see the upgraded slippers mentioned even for the ultimate version.
    Last edited by TwoBelugas; 12-31-2019 at 09:26 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Will it hold up if using something like the FLM aluminum diff cup? I have a couple 4x4's using the Traxxas stock plastic center diff with 3s batteries but haven't had any issues, but then i probably only run them for 15 minutes at most.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

I've never heard good things about the center-diff being able to handle large amounts of torque. They are ideal for racing at a track where you will probably be limited to 2s LiPo due to the rules.

I "use" slipper-clutches in all of my vehicles, but I don't really use them as I have all of them tightened down all the way. I upgraded to the larger slipper clutch in my Slash 4x4 MT, only because the stock slipper couldn't handle the power of a Castle 2200kv 1515 on 4s. It was causing the smaller stock slipper-clutch to slip even when it was tightened down all the way.

The only thing I need in order to control the output of my motor is my finger. IMO slipper-clutches are for novice drivers and/or kids who put 3s in their stock vehicles with plastic drive-shafts and constantly peg the throttle because they don't know any better.

RC Qualifier
    Traxxas released new, upgraded HD center diff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by alexsasax View Post
    Traxxas released new, upgraded HD center diff.

Yup...TRA6780.
    Currently running it in one of my Rustys, and it's great so far. If you think of the "old" center diff being akin to the stock Rustler/Slash front/rear diff, and the TRA6780 center diff being akin to the XO-1 front/rear diff, then you'll have a pretty good idea as to how much better the new TRA6780 center diff is.

RC Qualifier
    Yes, lots of good reviews on Facebook, people are using them with higher voltage without any problems. Personally I prefer center diff.