Thread: newbie alert!

RC poster

newbie alert!

Hi guys, just purchased a e revo 2.0. This is my first r/c car since I was like 12. It's been a while and I should be receiving it next week and I can't wait. Right I'm just looking at what tools do I need (btw I have plenty of tools since I built my own motors for my car) but just in case I need spacial tools, I know the servos go out so I wanna go ahead and have a set ready for it, but I have no clue into which I should get. What else should I be looking for that breaks and should have spare laying around? Thanks in advance guys! BTW I'm from Puerto Rico if any of you are from PR as well!

RC Racer
    Spare servos are good, i would imagine you will have most of the tools and it will come with most needed tools for servicing, i suggest being prepared to blow tires if youre on 6s lol. Also theres a couple threads on here you should search about body savers as the body likes to crak around the mount screws. Otherwise i havnt had any major problems with mine. (esc went out first run, but ill consider that a fluke)

Edit: limiting straps are good too.

Sent from my SM-T827R4 using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    From a tools perspective, most important (IMHO) are a good quality set of hex drivers. Specifically 1.5mm, 2.0mm and 2.5mm. If you’re buying them in a set, you typically also get a 3.0mm which sometimes is needed.

RC Competitor
    MIP make a nice set, but a bit pricey. I purchased these from Amazon and have been very happy. $13 before shipping.

RC poster
    Thanks guys. I guess I will get a set of a nice hex drivers since what I have is 4mm up. So servos will last then, perfect. Then I’ll get a set of tires just to have them here so I don’t have to wait for them to show up just in case. I’ll check the limiting straps too and I’ll order a set.

RC Enthusiast
    The body savers are a really good idea. My body cracked the first run. If you have access to a 3d printer, you can make your own out of ABS. You will also need some replacement m3 machine screws of appropriate length if you go that route.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Doesnt sound like you would, but don't cheap out on the hex drivers. The cheap ones might work well at first, but before you know it, you'll be stripping the heads of the hexes out and that gets old fast. A nice set of them MIP ones are well worth their cost. Seems like you may already know this if you are mechanically inclined, but just wanted to make sure of it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

First thing you should do before you even run it is align the two steering servos so they aren’t fighting each other. There are write ups on here how to do it. That will give your stock ones the best chance to last. Other than that the first things you should do are definitely the metal rear chassis brace, and possibly limiting straps. It’s pretty solid out of the box but those 3 things help it out a lot. I would also recommend the Bluetooth module and the motor temp sensor to keep an eye on your motor temps and as a way to update the esc.

I'm same as others said. Quality hex set. Rear suspension brace, limiting straps 85mm, longer screws n spacers,. Body savers.

Buy a set of rod ends and tie rod ends for the inevitable. They are cheap enough

Personally I'd only buy servo n tires once needed.

I keep a tool box just a set of whatever I need for the car,. So I don't have to dig from my work tool boxes for what I need. Once I need something into the box it goes.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Wow thanks for all the reply’s guys this forum is awesome. I went ahead and order a set of traxxas tool set but I don’t know if there are any good lol. Got the brace, 85mm limiting straps for the rear. Toe links rod ends and push rod ends.

RC poster
    Now the Bluetooth module. I see a couple on the website or maybe I’m dumb but which would be?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by lopillo_evo View Post
    Now the Bluetooth module. I see a couple on the website or maybe I’m dumb but which would be?
    I think that the boyz were referring to this:
    https://traxxas.com/products/parts/t...xxaslinkmodule
    It mounts to the 'backside' of the TQi bluetooth-capable transmitters (ya have to remove a 'blank-off' plate, and then install the bluetooth module). It allows you to have your bluetooth-capable Mobile Phone interface (via the Traxxas App) with the transmitter so that you can easily adjust parameters (endpoints, etc) that are kind of a PITA to tweak without it. I have found these functions to be well worth the $40, but YMMV. Also, if you purchase additional hardware you can monitor additional parameters such as temps, and even GPS-monitored speed. I have not delved into this side of things, so don't have any first hand experience to relay.

Welcome back to the RC hobby! --BillJ

Really the only additional sensor that I would buy along with the traxxas link module is the temperature sensor for the motor. Pretty much everything else is built in and will work out of the box. Keep in mind you will need the sensor mount as well, they are P/N 6521 for the sensor and P/N 6535 for the mount.

RC Qualifier
    You can also get cheap body savers from your local Home Depot and longer screws from your LHS:

Install a wheelie bar and chassis brace too.
    Catch my videos at youtube.com/c/offworkhours