Thread: Lights

RC Racer

Lights

I bought the Traxxas LED kit for the Maxx. I have headlights (with various brightness), brake lights and reverse lights. I do not have tail lights. Any ideas?

RC Racer
    Check the connectors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2-REVo 3.3
    1 summit
    2-XMAXX
    And many others

RC Racer
    If the connectors were wrong (at the light amplifier I'm assuming), wouldn't the lights not work at all?

Headlights work. Brake lights work. Backup lights work.

RC poster
    Brake lights and tail lights are on the same connector, so chances are your connections are good, but it never hurts when troubleshooting electrical to go back and double-check every connection, including the connection at the ESC.
    I am testing mine now and have been unable to find a connection scheme or setting that will reproduce your symptoms.

RC Racer
    It's been like this since new. Now sure how to unplug and replug into the ESC - as it looks like it clips in.

RC Competitor
    Do you have the bluetooth module? Sometimes updates will fix it.
    I find your lack of teepee disturbing.

RC Racer
    I do have the bluetooth - and have checked for updates (nothing). I can control the front lights - but there are no controls or the back lights.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxxasTigger View Post
    I do have the bluetooth - and have checked for updates (nothing). I can control the front lights - but there are no controls or the back lights.
    Brake and backup are esc control only. Plug into a controlled channel. I believe there’s 4 with hi and low

2-REVo 3.3
    1 summit
    2-XMAXX
    And many others

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxxasTigger View Post
    Well, foo. I thought I was onto something!

Time to call the mighty TRX?
    I find your lack of teepee disturbing.

RC Enthusiast
    Can you post some pics of your wiring?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by IamRevoMaster View Post
    Brake and backup are esc control only. Plug into a controlled channel. I believe there’s 4 with hi and low

Brake and backup are ESC. Parking / running lights in the rear should be also .. doesn't seem to be any other way to control them.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by dimsdale View Post
    Can you post some pics of your wiring?
    I shall as soon as I get a second to do it.

RC Racer
    So .. I have finally figured it out.

First, a little background which may help explain the confusion I experienced. The UDR and XMaxx lights work as follows. When the headlights are on, the tail lights / parking lights are on. Being that you can control these through bluetooth, that's how I have been controlling them - manually flipping the toggles (headlights) to what I want. I have not been using auto settings (daylight, low or high). Again, I turn the headlights on and the tail lights are on.

When I opened the Maxx last night, to get a picture of the things, I rechecked all the wires, wiggled them to see if wiggling caused the tail lights to come on. As I was getting ready to put the lid back on, I saw a button labeled 'mode'. Pressing this button DID turn the tail lights (and other lights) on. I went back to the Link app to see if I can somehow repeat this through the controls. I can manually toggle the headlights (low and high beam) on and off all day long, but no tail light control.

After reviewing the manual this morning, the light kit 'default' mode is 'Low Beam Mode' - and pressing the 'Mode' button puts the light amp through 3 settings - Daylight, Low Beam Mode and High Beam Mode. These are also shown in the Link App, under dashboard, lights - as 3 buttons at the bottom left - Daylight, Low and High (of which I've never used). The definitions of each are:

Daylight - No lights other than brake and reverse
    Low - Low beam headlights, tail lights, brake and reverse
    High - High beam headlights, tail lights, brake and reverse

It seems mine was shipped in Daylight mode as default - and again, because I had never previously touched the 'Mode' button, I didn't even pay attention to it being there nor what it did. In reflection, and based on the settings listed, the UDR and X were (and are) in 'low beam mode' (by default) - which means the tail lights are always on .. and I've only been setting the headlights as I want them.

*note - in Daylight mode, manually turning the headlights on does not put it the amp into low beam or high beam mode, which is what turns on the tail lights.*

By the way, one reason I like manually toggling is because if you use both low and high beam, you can get even more light. Hopefully this is beneficial to someone else as well.
    Last edited by TraxxasTigger; 01-15-2020 at 10:51 AM.

RC poster
    Dang it I just typed up a reply I’m not sure if it actually posted or went back but I’m gonna try this again . I also bought the Traxxas LED front and rear light kit along with my tracks is Max installed as per instructions that came with the lighting and I started out using the mode selector on the amplifier after turning on the truck so every time I turn the truck on the light come on front and rear and I can toggle between low beam highbeam and off. I also bought the Traxxas LED front and rear light kit along with my Traxxas max installed as per instructions that came with the lighting and I started out using the mode selector on the amplifier after turning on the truck so every time I turn the truck on the light come on front and rear and I can toggle between low beam highbeam and off I have no ability to toggle anything on or off from my phone dashboard app and I do have the Bluetooth module installed nor have I ever been able to get the reverse lights or brake light into work at all .

Not sure if this is exactly what you were find him or a little different but any help would be awesome thanks

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by DucknRun View Post
    I also bought the Traxxas LED front and rear light kit along with my Traxxas max installed as per instructions that came with the lighting and I started out using the mode selector on the amplifier after turning on the truck so every time I turn the truck on the light come on front and rear and I can toggle between low beam highbeam and off I have no ability to toggle anything on or off from my phone dashboard app and I do have the Bluetooth module installed nor have I ever been able to get the reverse lights or brake light into work at all .

Not sure if this is exactly what you were find him or a little different but any help would be awesome thanks
    As you switch through the modes (by pushing the button), do the tail lights come on? If not, then it sounds like you have something either not plugged in .. or plugged in wrong. No reverse lights would explain the same thing. Reverse works when you hit backup on the remote - after stopping, which should have brake lights.

Bluetooth toggle buttons will only control the headlights .. but daytime, low and high at the bottom right should turn on the tail lights. If you have none of these, then your link may not be working. Do you have communication with the vehicle (speed, battery, etc)?

Can you show us a picture of how you have things wired?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by DucknRun View Post
    ... but any help would be awesome thanks
    Any update?