Thread: FAA remote ID

RC Qualifier

FAA remote ID

Anyone get an email from the FAA about new rules being considered? Remote ID seems the big one. Still reading this to understand what it will cost us drone flyers.

RC Racer
    I know this ain't the correct answer but, I never did register mine when they started registration a couple years ago. My reasoning was that if I did register and was doing nothing wrong, but someone nearby who had not registered was flying and acting a fool, that I would be the one getting the visit by the Po-Po. Not that I do any illegal activities on my property, it's just that I don't want unexpected visits by the authorities. I feel this is kind of like the gun registration laws, whereas they don't stop criminal activity. I can see regulations for commercial based drone operators and such, but not for routine recreational flyers. Honestly, I think this proposal is just another form of government revenue enhancement.

RC Qualifier
    Yep, money for nothing. We are capped at 400 feet. If they think they will catch those folks who mod there drone to go above, they are wrong. Just shut it off. But then again, bad guys never follow the law anyways. Just like the bad guys buying guns on the black market to commit crimes, the idiots running the government think gun laws will stop them.

RC Competitor
    #IWillNotComply is my motto. Enough government overreach.
    I find your lack of teepee disturbing.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Beavis View Post
    #IWillNotComply is my motto. Enough government overreach.
    Am I being a foil hat by thinking this not could not only really stifle not just drones , but little fixed wing RTF park flyers ( which I know traxxas doesn’t make one of, but still ) and even surface RC ?

RC Competitor
    I don't Have a traxxas Aton but I hope to have one some day. I currently fly a dji spark, home built fpv drone, I have tons of rc airplanes, and on the side I have a revo 3.3. and a few other rc cars.

I must say from the RC airplane side of things that this is ridiculous. I don't think an rc airplane should ever have remote ID and I think it is still crazy that they want our drones to have it. I figure if It costs me $50 per rc aircraft to add remote ID I would be paying well over $500 just so the government can know that I'm a law abiding citizen.

RC poster
    I am more experienced with drones than I am with RC cars. I fly a Mavic 2 Pro, Mavic Tello, and a Walkera F210 FPV drone.

The new rules will be horrible for those of us that invested in buying drones that are greater than .55 Lbs.

If your drone is greater than .55

1. You will have to have remote id on your drone. Which requires an internet connection. This part scares me, simply because I spent big money on a M2P and accessories last year. If for some reason it isn't remote ID capable then it would technically become illegal or.....

2. If you don't have remote id then you will fly in some sort of pre-approved area, like an AMA field, which is like a boring a wasteland if you're AMA fields are like the ones where I live.

You guys should really watch this if you want to know more.

Last edited by ZooCougar; 02-14-2020 at 03:18 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the video. EVERYONE needs to submit their opinion on the bullcrap. If the FAA morons think this will stop illegal operation of a drone, they are seriously retarded. Just like the crap about guns in this country. bad guys never comply. Just the honest citizen taking it up the shorts as usual. Lets hope this does not get approval.