Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    101

    Belly slappin’ - need new springs!

    Hey guys. I’m finding my slash slapping its belly, even on relatively tame jumps. I’m running 30wt oil all around, and I’m planning to change up to something heavier, but what are the recommended springs? I recall something about Losi. I’m totally lost after that. Part numbers, or any specifics would be deeply appreciated. Mentioning “losi green” without knowing length or application is a bit confusing.

    Edit: Forgot to mention, I’m running big bores, with black Rustler springs.
    Last edited by monkeyracing; 01-04-2020 at 02:50 PM.

  2. #2
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    101
    Also, the Losi springs seem to be discontinued.

  3. #3
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    333
    Losi springs are not discontinued. You can find many different springs on eBay if you look for them.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyracing View Post
    Hey guys. I’m finding my slash slapping its belly, even on relatively tame jumps. I’m running 30wt oil all around, and I’m planning to change up to something heavier, but what are the recommended springs? I recall something about Losi. I’m totally lost after that. Part numbers, or any specifics would be deeply appreciated. Mentioning “losi green” without knowing length or application is a bit confusing.

    Edit: Forgot to mention, I’m running big bores, with black Rustler springs.
    Changing the springs on the shock so that they are harder to compress would help in your situation,
    but also replacing the shock oil for a heavier/thicker one can make a big difference. The stock oil WT is 30, which isn't pretty good, but when you upgrade from 45 to 50WT you wont really have to worry about jumps.

  5. #5
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketzx1 View Post
    Losi springs are not discontinued. You can find many different springs on eBay if you look for them.

    Maybe you could point me in the right direction? I’ve been looking and have seen the word “discontinued” a lot. I just want to go with something others have tried and have been successful with. Not necessarily winning all the races, but finding springs of the correct size and strength. Help a brother out.

  6. #6
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    101
    Went strictly by specs and found Associated has what I need. They’re actually blowing out complete sets of fronts and rears for the SC10 for$3.00. Regular price was $17.99. Pretty sure the lengths will work.

  7. #7
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Woodstock, Ga
    Posts
    90
    You could just add preload spacers and/or put the shock pistons with one hole in. But a little belly slap isnt that big of a deal anyway...

  8. #8
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    15
    I use the Losi XXX blue in back and green or blue in front.

    http://www.teamlosi.ru/techtips/spring_chart.htm

  9. #9
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Hammonton Nj
    Posts
    771
    Its more fun slappen slippers than bellys , lol too funny

  10. #10
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    333
    Big bores are 12mm springs correct? Then you’d be good to grab any 12mm springs Losi offers, just get a stiffness that works for what you need. Team associated also have a 4 pack of springs for front and rear, I think they are around 8 dollars a pack. You could try those too


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    101
    The spring seat in the big bores are 13mm, so finding these packs of Associated short course springs for $3.00 is a killer deal.

    https://www.associatedelectrics.com/...y=13mm+springs

  12. #12
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    333
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyracing View Post
    The spring seat in the big bores are 13mm, so finding these packs of Associated short course springs for $3.00 is a killer deal.

    https://www.associatedelectrics.com/...y=13mm+springs
    Glad you found some springs!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    40
    Here is what I do to limit chassis slap to a minimum.

    50 weight oil all the way around
    Two hole pistons.
    Stand the shocks up vertical as much as possible to increase droop.
    Use J concepts 2662 external shock limiters in the rear.
    TLR5171 silver 3.4 pounds per inch in the rear (I have ultra shocks not big boars).
    TLR5182 Green 3.5 pounds per inch green in the front.
    Increase ride height as much as possible.

    The 50 weight shock oil helps a lot landing jumps, yet the relatively soft springs still allow the truck to roll right to left and front to back to help generate grip.

  14. #14
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Ca
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmkiefer View Post
    I use the Losi XXX blue in back and green or blue in front.

    http://www.teamlosi.ru/techtips/spring_chart.htm
    These are discontinued and you can find a set on ebay but for almost $20. Might as well buy new shocks after all is said and done..

  15. #15
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Ca
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by OhmsLaw View Post
    Here is what I do to limit chassis slap to a minimum.

    50 weight oil all the way around
    Two hole pistons.
    Stand the shocks up vertical as much as possible to increase droop.
    Use J concepts 2662 external shock limiters in the rear.
    TLR5171 silver 3.4 pounds per inch in the rear (I have ultra shocks not big boars).
    TLR5182 Green 3.5 pounds per inch green in the front.
    Increase ride height as much as possible.

    The 50 weight shock oil helps a lot landing jumps, yet the relatively soft springs still allow the truck to roll right to left and front to back to help generate grip.
    Thanks for the part #'s too! Been tough trying to find these kind of posts since the LOSI 2" & 2.5" springs we're disco'd for the slash!

  16. #16
    RC Champion zedorda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    S.E. Michigan
    Posts
    1,180
    Another real good trick to help reduce belly slap is to install some rubber automotive fuel line(or any soft tubing or foam rubber cut to size) to the shock shaft between the shock and the bottom spring seat. Only need a few millimeters depending on how soft the rubber is. Be careful not to stop it from touching the ground on full compression but it does add a nice bump stop cushion. This allows for you to keep the suspension setup you like but limit the belly slapping.

  17. #17
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by _skinny_ View Post
    Thanks for the part #'s too! Been tough trying to find these kind of posts since the LOSI 2" & 2.5" springs we're disco'd for the slash!
    The TLR part numbers I provided are for the Ultra Shocks not the Big Bores. I think the ID of the Big Bore springs are smaller than the ID of the Ultra Shock springs.

  18. #18
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by OhmsLaw View Post
    The TLR part numbers I provided are for the Ultra Shocks not the Big Bores. I think the ID of the Big Bore springs are smaller than the ID of the Ultra Shock springs.
    They’re the same inside and out. Well, outside for sure.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •