RC poster

Using Traxxas Ez-peak charger and non-traxxas battery. Question about 'fast' charging

So I bought a couple youme power 5200mAh 50C lipo batteries for my son. We have the EZ-Peak charger.

I removed the front plate, and I plug in the battery (it uses the trx plug) and insert the white balance connection (I think that is what it's called).

I do the mode in which it will recognize a non traxxas battery is connected. I originally was trying to charge it on balance mode, and each time I would start it...the 1 and 4 lights would blink, indicating something wasn't being read right.

Today, I tried 'fast' charging mode...set it to 3a, and started it....and it's working. The battery was at the 1 light on charge, so I assume it was pretty much dead.... is this why the balance mode wasn't working? Or in the case of a non traxxas battery, is fast charging appropriate?

Just trying to make heads/tails of this situation.

Thanks!

One should always balance charge lipo batteries! With that being said did you look at the chargers manual to see what the blinking 1 and 4 light means?

it's alright son, I'll fix it
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

RC Competitor
    I do not know your battery enough to say for certain, but most Lipos are safely charged at 1 or even 2 c, so anywhere from 5-10a.

I balance charge most of mine at 6a, no fires so far. I have the dual version of your charger.

RC poster
    Once you got them charged, did you have the problem again? The next time you charged them, did you do a normal balance charge? What was the outcome?

I have had the problem you speak of, as well as a Traxxas ID 3S Lipo not even being recognized by the EZ-PEAK Dual charger.

I was able to fix it on non-traxxas batteries by fast charging, for the ID Traxxas, I had to manually charge each cell to bring them up to a normal voltage. After doing that though, all the batteries perform like they are supposed to, balance charging or storage. If it won't balance charge, I move it to fast charge for a few minutes, and then stop it and go back to balance charge.

My theory is that they were a little low on voltage per cell and the charger didn't want to charge it to be safe.

If you buy your batteries at the hobby store, have them test the voltage of each cell before you buy it. They should have the gizmo that checks the voltage per cell available for purchase also...

You can also get a cheap pack checker for like $4 to tell you the voltage of each cell if your using normal packs with a balance plug:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-RC-Lipo-...D/382587534186
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC poster
    I'm having the same problem. The 1st and 4th LED is not a valid error code. Someone posted an old manual showing that it's a power supply issue.

I sent mine to Traxxas and they said it was replaced but the new one does the same thing. Seems I'm not getting a good connection on the charger when I plug my non-Traxxas battery in with a Venom xt60 to trx adapter.

It's intermittent; I will try the fast option next time I get it working.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RC poster
    It occurred to me after typing the last post that I was using an XT60 to Traxxas ID adapter. Using the legacy Traxxas adapter, things are working better now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Traxxas even recommends not using those adapters as they have been known to cause issues with the ESC or even the charger - as you found out.
    The Super Derecho