Why is this hobby so expensive?

So I got bored, and I wanted to see how much this RC crawling hobby can really cost....
    And I went on to Amain hobbies and added a TRX4 g500 and all the performance accessories and parts I could think of (I excluded cosmetic items such as random aluminum parts and scale accessories)

Some of the items I included are
    -one of the best ESC and motors, HW AXE 550 2700kv brushless
    -Savox black edition brushless servo
    -overpriced Futaba radio
    -Hyrax 2.2 predator w/ SSD PL beadlocks
    -All the axel and portal weights in the world
    -Liquid gravity weights
    -CI 2.2 foams
    -Overdrive and underdrive gears.

I ended up with a whopping $1,700 without tax and without accessories of any kind, for a single car.
    I'm just amazed as to how much one car can cost, and possibly, someone out there has this kind of setup.

Full list of everything \/

KYO82050US - Kyosho Futaba 4PM 4-Channel 2.4GHz Mini-Z Evo Radio System
    $229.99

Deluxe Materials Liquid Gravity Mini Weighted Balls (240g) DLMBD38 - Deluxe Materials Liquid Gravity Mini Weighted Balls (240g)
    $15.99

Traxxas TRX-4 Aluminum Motor Mount Plate (Charcoal Grey) TRA8290A - Traxxas TRX-4 Aluminum Motor Mount Plate (Charcoal Grey)
    $24.95
    Traxxas TRX-4 Machined Underdrive Ring & Pinion Gear (10/35T) TRA8288 - Traxxas TRX-4 Machined Underdrive Ring & Pinion Gear (10/35T)
    $39.99

Traxxas TRX-4 Machined Overdrive Ring & Pinion Gear (12/33T) TRA8287 - Traxxas TRX-4 Machined Overdrive Ring & Pinion Gear (12/33T)
    $39.95 $39.95

Samix TRX-4 Brass Steering Knuckle, C-Hub, Portal Cover & Scale Brake Rotor Set SAMTRX4-4412C4 - Samix TRX-4 Brass Steering Knuckle, C-Hub, Portal Cover & Scale Brake Rotor Set
    $319.98

Savox SB-2290SG Black Edition Monster Torque Brushless Steel Gear Servo SAV-SB-2290SG - Savox SB-2290SG Black Edition Monster Torque Brushless Steel Gear Servo
    $139.99

Traxxas Hardened Steel Mod 1.0 Pinion Gear w/5mm Bore (11T) TRA6484X - Traxxas Hardened Steel Mod 1.0 Pinion Gear w/5mm Bore (11T)
    $4.00

Hobbywing AXE 550 FOC Waterproof V1.1 Sensored Brushless Combo w/2700kV Motor HWA38020277 - Hobbywing AXE 550 FOC Waterproof V1.1 Sensored Brushless Combo w/2700kV Motor
    $229.99

SSD RC 2.2 Wide Assassin PL Beadlock Wheels (Grey) (2) (Pro-Line Tires) SSD00187 - SSD RC 2.2 Wide Assassin PL Beadlock Wheels (Grey) (2) (Pro-Line Tires)
    $54.99 $109.98
    Save For Later
    Remove
    Crawler Innovations "Double Deuce 5.5" 2.2 Crawler Foam (2) (Standard/Medium) CWR-1002 - Crawler Innovations "Double Deuce 5.5" 2.2 Crawler Foam (2) (Standard/Medium)
    2 x
    $35.90

Pro-Line Hyrax 2.2" Rock Terrain Crawler Tires w/Memory Foam (2) (Predator) PRO10132-03 - Pro-Line Hyrax 2.2" Rock Terrain Crawler Tires w/Memory Foam (2) (Predator)
    2 $62.98

Traxxas TRX-4 1/10 Trail Crawler Truck w/Mercedes-Benz G500 4X4≤ Body (Red) TRA82096-4-REDU - Traxxas TRX-4 1/10 Trail Crawler Truck w/Mercedes-Benz G500 4X4≤ Body (Red)
    $429.95

Total: $1,683.60

(Sorry for the long list)
    Jumping: maneuver and pray it won't break.

RC Qualifier
    Yea.. it hurts less buying parts over time. Itís cheaper than owning a Jeep.. some of these aftermarket parts are not cheap to machine or make. With that said, I would like some relief. My Stampede takes most of my money, but that thing is driven and bashed hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Ha, if you think this is an expensive hobby, check out saltwater reef tanks. That'll dwarf those RC cost in a heartbeat. Bottom line is, doing what you are passionate for, comes with a price. Predetermining whether its worth it or not, before buying in is a good idea. A little education and forethought goes a long way towards enjoyment. Also ive found, losing track of the "exact" costs helps even more !!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Stircrayzy View Post
    Ha, if you think this is an expensive hobby, check out saltwater reef tanks. That'll dwarf those RC cost in a heartbeat. Bottom line is, doing what you are passionate for, comes with a price. Predetermining whether its worth it or not, before buying in is a good idea. A little education and forethought goes a long way towards enjoyment. Also ive found, losing track of the "exact" costs helps even more !!
    Very true! I had a reef tank. Very expensive lol

Check out some of the scale
    Construction stuff.
    excavators can get up to
    $10,000

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    Check out some of the scale
    Construction stuff.
    excavators can get up to
    $10,000

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    Yeah, Iíve seen some of those things, their worth as much as an 1:1 car

I know a lot guys that run their rigs on very tight budgets. If you look for deals, buy used, and only buy what you need, you can stretch your hobby dollars a long way.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    for $500 you can be into a stock TRX-4 with a battery and charger, give or take a few dollars. That doesnt strike me as all that expensive for a brand new rig that is pretty dang capable. As with most performance-based hobbies it is typically more about honing your skills than it is about buying the best tools.

That said, yes, you certainly can spend as much as you want to in this game! I love the variety and the ability to buy only what you need/want. Love all the scale details. Wish the RC construction stuff would come down in price though....

RC poster
    there are no "cheap" hobbies

defintion of hobby:
    maximum financial effort with minimal economic benefits

but ask me...
    I'm into RC cars, PC and real cars... so yeah

RC Enthusiast
    It's just like any other hobby: you spend what your budget allows. The price of my Defender has about tripled with all the upgrades in electronics, brass, and accessories over the past 2 years. There was no need to spend that money but it gave me joy to make the improvements to see the rig look and perform better. If your hobby was photography you would do the same: start using your phone for simple shots and then spending your budget on better cameras and lenses. Just do what gives you joy and what you can afford. Thaclone is right, there are no cheap hobbies.
    Reinhard

RC Racer
    Hobby shops make it expensive. I've probably saved at least thousand dollars over the last two years buying stuff from ebay, banggood, asiatees, etc.

While I like to support my local shops, they price their stuff at 20 to 50% more than it should be. Some people are paying way too much for most RC products.

That said, it's a hobby that's as expensive as you want it to be. My TRX4 has everything in it and is worth a ton of money, while my SCX10 is bare bones but fun as **** and cost no more than maybe $400.

RC Competitor
    If you buy the top of line of anything it is expensive. I can fix a steak dinner for 10 bucks or i can fix a steak dinner for 300. One steak mushrooms and potatoes each. I bought a trx4 sport and went with a solar servo for 18 bucks, ***** lipo for 14 bucks HW 1080 esc and modified the stock tires. That's less than 400 bones and use the crud out of it. Compare that with the old T-Maxx that I big block converted and aluminum everything I had several grand in it when I said enough with that truck.

Ya, my PC hobby also costs me a ton of money, theres always upgrades

RC Qualifier
    Like any hobby, if you really get into enough it can get very expensive. There's different ways to buy parts, used, cheap knock off brands, and the big brand aftermarket parts. There is no right or wrong answer with this part. It's what you like and your wallet too. Shopping for parts a little at a time helps too. The bottom line is as long as your having fun doing what you do, that's what matters.

It doesn't have to be expensive...many people choose to make it expensive.

RC poster
    That’s still only a fraction of the price for 1:1 parts on a crawler.
    If you enjoy this hobby (or any other ) you can justify spending the money.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by TITANIUM94010 View Post
    So I got bored, and I wanted to see how much this RC crawling hobby can really cost....
    And I went on to Amain hobbies and added a TRX4 g500 and all the performance accessories and parts I could think of (I excluded cosmetic items such as random aluminum parts and scale accessories)

Some of the items I included are
    -one of the best ESC and motors, HW AXE 550 2700kv brushless
    -Savox black edition brushless servo
    -overpriced Futaba radio
    -Hyrax 2.2 predator w/ SSD PL beadlocks
    -All the axel and portal weights in the world
    -Liquid gravity weights
    -CI 2.2 foams
    -Overdrive and underdrive gears.

I ended up with a whopping $1,700 without tax and without accessories of any kind, for a single car.
    I'm just amazed as to how much one car can cost, and possibly, someone out there has this kind of setup.

Full list of everything \/

KYO82050US - Kyosho Futaba 4PM 4-Channel 2.4GHz Mini-Z Evo Radio System
    $229.99

Deluxe Materials Liquid Gravity Mini Weighted Balls (240g) DLMBD38 - Deluxe Materials Liquid Gravity Mini Weighted Balls (240g)
    $15.99

Traxxas TRX-4 Aluminum Motor Mount Plate (Charcoal Grey) TRA8290A - Traxxas TRX-4 Aluminum Motor Mount Plate (Charcoal Grey)
    $24.95
    Traxxas TRX-4 Machined Underdrive Ring & Pinion Gear (10/35T) TRA8288 - Traxxas TRX-4 Machined Underdrive Ring & Pinion Gear (10/35T)
    $39.99

Traxxas TRX-4 Machined Overdrive Ring & Pinion Gear (12/33T) TRA8287 - Traxxas TRX-4 Machined Overdrive Ring & Pinion Gear (12/33T)
    $39.95 $39.95

Samix TRX-4 Brass Steering Knuckle, C-Hub, Portal Cover & Scale Brake Rotor Set SAMTRX4-4412C4 - Samix TRX-4 Brass Steering Knuckle, C-Hub, Portal Cover & Scale Brake Rotor Set
    $319.98

Savox SB-2290SG Black Edition Monster Torque Brushless Steel Gear Servo SAV-SB-2290SG - Savox SB-2290SG Black Edition Monster Torque Brushless Steel Gear Servo
    $139.99

Traxxas Hardened Steel Mod 1.0 Pinion Gear w/5mm Bore (11T) TRA6484X - Traxxas Hardened Steel Mod 1.0 Pinion Gear w/5mm Bore (11T)
    $4.00

Hobbywing AXE 550 FOC Waterproof V1.1 Sensored Brushless Combo w/2700kV Motor HWA38020277 - Hobbywing AXE 550 FOC Waterproof V1.1 Sensored Brushless Combo w/2700kV Motor
    $229.99

SSD RC 2.2 Wide Assassin PL Beadlock Wheels (Grey) (2) (Pro-Line Tires) SSD00187 - SSD RC 2.2 Wide Assassin PL Beadlock Wheels (Grey) (2) (Pro-Line Tires)
    $54.99 $109.98
    Save For Later
    Remove
    Crawler Innovations "Double Deuce 5.5" 2.2 Crawler Foam (2) (Standard/Medium) CWR-1002 - Crawler Innovations "Double Deuce 5.5" 2.2 Crawler Foam (2) (Standard/Medium)
    2 x
    $35.90

Pro-Line Hyrax 2.2" Rock Terrain Crawler Tires w/Memory Foam (2) (Predator) PRO10132-03 - Pro-Line Hyrax 2.2" Rock Terrain Crawler Tires w/Memory Foam (2) (Predator)
    2 $62.98

Traxxas TRX-4 1/10 Trail Crawler Truck w/Mercedes-Benz G500 4X4≤ Body (Red) TRA82096-4-REDU - Traxxas TRX-4 1/10 Trail Crawler Truck w/Mercedes-Benz G500 4X4≤ Body (Red)
    $429.95

Total: $1,683.60

(Sorry for the long list)
    Just there are so little people in the hobby (compared to other hobbies etc.) and all the stuff they make is not in "bulk" they might make 10000 trx4's, costs traxxas 50$ each, but if they made 100000 trx4's, it would cost 10$ to make each one, its just the manufacturing costs!! and i am kinda mad about it too, i think a rc that costs 300$, like a slash brushed, should cost 150$, but i am on a tight budget as well and sometimes its hard to get around by not spending "allot" of money