RC Enthusiast

General / Standard Maintenance - What should I be doing?

I bought my son the Slash last year for Christmas and he has enjoyed it a lot. I upgraded it to the brushless vxl this Christmas.

What should we/I be doing to the slash to properly maintain it? Grease/oil? Location? adjustments? Bearings? etc?

I'm just looking to keep it running without issues until something does fail due to age, not lack of maintenance (or course I should have asked this question a lot sooner!)

I also picked up a 1/16 e-revo vxl for him for Christmas and that thing is a blast as well!

Thanks!

RC Racer
    I keep an eye on the diff fluid and grease the ring a little, and I keep an eye on the bearings to see if they are getting rough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might also consider changing the diff fluid...especially in the rear (Traxxas puts grease, as opposed to diff fluid, inside the rear diff. Additionally, regressed the gears inside the diff housing (just in case you haven't taken it apart before, inside the differential housings are the ring & pinion gears. The ring gears are also the 'covers' for the differentials, of which the diff gears are inside that tiny plastic housing hello onto the ring gears by 4 screws).

Another thing to occasionally check is the Nylock nut holding the slipper spring against the slipper plate...make sure it's loose enough that it's not causing it to "lock", but also tight enough that there no slipping. If you're still using plastic hexes, check those to make sure their not stripping (what is why most people replace them with aluminum hexes. Speaking of aluminum, if your still using the stock plastic shocks w/ plastic shock caps, you might consider replacing the caps with the optional ($15) aluminum caps. If the Slash had every crashed, and the caps popped off, you'll understand the need for this upgrade.

Lastly, you should check the seal on the waterproof receiver box. This is such a simple thing, yet it would surprise me if very few people actually do it. If you ever run through water, you'll understand the need to keep the electronics dry. The ESC, motor, and servo are are (mostly) waterproof, but the ONLY thing keeping the receiver box "waterproof" is that super-thin blue silicone seal that runs around the inside edges. If it's broken, replace it...your receiver will thank you for it (by not getting fried).

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the tips! Winter is the perfect time for this 'service'.

On a side note for your humor.....

We were at the in-laws for Christmas - I charged up the new erevo for him - brought it out and wanted to run it down the street and back to make sure there were no issues before having him take over.

Drove it down then turned it around, when it disappeared! Just like the Bermuda triangle......yep....their subdivision as 'hidden' drainage gutters! Where I figured it would run up on the grass ended up in the basin!

I felt so horrible. Luckily with someone holding their smart phone as a live video feed and a pole with a long coat hanger attached I was able to fish it up and out! It was half under water to I opened everything up and let it dry in the sun for the day before running it again. All is good, but learned and important lesson!

Would have loved to have seen the video...title it, "What NOT to do with a new RC".

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

Quote Originally Posted by westwind77 View Post
    I bought my son the Slash last year for Christmas and he has enjoyed it a lot. I upgraded it to the brushless vxl this Christmas.

What should we/I be doing to the slash to properly maintain it? Grease/oil? Location? adjustments? Bearings? etc?

I'm just looking to keep it running without issues until something does fail due to age, not lack of maintenance (or course I should have asked this question a lot sooner!)

I also picked up a 1/16 e-revo vxl for him for Christmas and that thing is a blast as well!

Thanks!
    As for me, I just keep my trucks clean. That way you don't have the silt and sand particles eating away at stuff. It's a lot easier to spot broken parts on a clean truck
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Champion
    I use dry lube on my vehicles. This is after I clean it well with alcohol and an air compressor. After cleaning it, I spray every part with dry lube. Bearings, screws, and any other moving part that can end up corroding. As said, keeping the truck clean is the best way to keep it in tip top shape. If you donít have one, get an air compressor and use that to clean off the truck when done using it. Then use some form of lube that wonít attract dust and dirt like dry lube. I personally spray my entire vehicle down with dry lube, chassis included, but it can leave a white residue on the plastic parts. Doesnít hurt anything and it will help repel dirt and water. Helps with the cleanup a lot. There are other forms of this same kind of lube. Just make sure whatever you get it isnít something that will attract dirt and such.