RC Competitor

Hello, need some help on breaking in vrs high temps.

Well gurus, got the new Revo 3.3 and started to break it in. It would not start until I richend the HSN about a 1/4 turn. Started doing step one and received a high temp warning on telemetry. I shut down and let it cool.

I decided to check the settings and slowly turned in the HSN until I felt resistance and turn it out 4 turns. Had to richen another 1/4 turn to start.Temps are getting to 280 in a very short time.

Also engine idle is so fast I'm having trouble breaking. I lowered the idle but to keep it running had to richen the LSN.

Need a little help as far as tuning to not over heat. Temps are in the low to mid 50's

Thank you

The factory settings are a known starting point to at least get the engine running but not the end-all for the perfect tune. With the ambient temps low it is natural that you'd need to richen it up a little bit. If the LSN is lean the idle will be a little high and the temps will creep up.

Use the telemetry as a tool but don't be so anxious about it or you will lose joy in nitro. Take note that the sensor is on the outside of the head so it will not tell the "true" temp of the engine which is commonly at the glow plug. It could be high or it could be low and you may need to adjust it so that it matches the plug temp.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    I gotcha. It sure didnt seem like it was too hot using the spit finger test that we did years ago.

The Revo has some serious engineering in it. Only thing I had to fix was one servo arm was misaligned and a brake adjustment. Looks like quality all around.

Thank you for the feedback.

RC Competitor
    Double G, everything went well today. Not sure what happened but temps were good today. Wouldn't start this morning so I made some adjustments, mostly to the LSN and temps were way down.

Question, the RX rechargeable battery went dead, full charge last night. Only lasted about 2 brake in tanks. That normal, and if it is, any options for a different battery?

Not normal. Consider buying a new battery the same dimensions of the one you have or the hump pack Traxxas offers. I went with another brand as they are 1600 mah - 400 more than stock.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    Yea I saw the 1600 MAH battery. I'll wait and see how the battery goes.

The switch harness went out as far as in regards to charging the rx. Support was on it. Took it apart and told them what I found and they are sending a new harness. I'm impressed.

RC Qualifier
    If this is a new vehicle, instead of buying a new battery did you talk to Traxxas support about it?

RC Competitor
    Not yet Grizz I'm waiting until I can test it again. Sometimes batteries work better with use. Of course this might not be a fact lol

RC poster
    CBerry I had the same issue with mine. Battery got full capacity after 5-6 discharge cycles if I remember correctly.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Vindictae View Post
    CBerry I had the same issue with mine. Battery got full capacity after 5-6 discharge cycles if I remember correctly.
    Cool, it seemed to be better. Last time out soon as hit 6.3 volts via telemetry it starting losing the signal very soon after that. Thanks for the info.