RC Enthusiast

Maxx drive shaft failures (plastic)

anyone else having failure of the plastic maxx drive shafts? I've had two break in the first month. Basically, you've got the metal diff shaft connected to the plastic drive shafts with a threaded pin. Over time, the plastic on the drive shaft deforms and the pin doesnt hold anymore and backs out. All the force of acceleration braking, etc is carried by those little pins through the plastic shaft. As far as I can tell, there is no way these drive shafts will hold up to repeated outings. I just ordered a set of metal shafts plus the nuts etc. Basically, it's an extra $120+ to upgrade, but its not really all that optional.
    I'm driving it about an hour a day (I used it in a field so my austrailian shepard dog chases (herds) it for exercise).

RC Qualifier
    This solution from Flux Capacitor may help?

I would think you may need longer pins than the Emaxx though? And if you could find a longer threaded pin, and e-clip the protruding end, that would avoid drilling anything out.

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...xle-cross-pins!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by boosta View Post
    This solution from Flux Capacitor may help?

I would think you may need longer pins than the Emaxx though? And if you could find a longer threaded pin, and e-clip the protruding end, that would avoid drilling anything out.

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...xle-cross-pins!
    I changed to the metal cvdís and donít expect any more problems, I think the plastic ones would last with normal 3S use.
    My dog , a big lab , loves the Maxx. Itís like his 4 wheeled buddy who can out run him ! Iím very carefull not to hit him with it though. I only run 4S and I like to bash and rip so metal it is. Next up , proline 3.8ís and 13mm extensions 😁

Ď

RC Qualifier
    The metal seems a better choice in the long run. Sounds like Maxx is a good pal for your dog!

Just decide whether you want the wide kit 8995 before you buy the steel shafts, other wise it costs more for the longer dogbones.

8950x are standard width CVD and you would need to buy additional 8996A 4x dogbones to make them fit the wide kit.

Whereas you can just buy 8996x complete wide CVD kit for the wide kit and spend less money

RC Enthusiast
    Good point re the wide kit. I thought about it, but decided to keep to stock width using the metal CVD kit. So far, the Maxx is my only RC. If I get another one at some point, likely would be the e-revo, which has a super wide stance. Putting on the wide kit on the Maxx would make it too much like the revo.

RC Enthusiast
    I haven't installed my metal driveshafts yet because I've been more interested in driving my TRX-4 and UDR lately, but in the span of 2 weeks I broke 3, rear driver's side driveshafts. I replaced the hub bearings and the rear hub itself to see if that was the source of my problems. Nope. The second driveshaft broke when I was drifting around a smooth dirt road, the first and third when I was hitting small jumps in which the Maxx only caught about a foot and a half of air. I love it when it's running and so I have high hopes the metal driveshafts will resolve my issue. I should also mention that I only run my Maxx on 3S.

RC Enthusiast
    Installed the metal CVDs today, and metal c-blocks as well. When I was swapping the rears for the metal CVDs, I found that one of the pins on the universal joint had been blown out, so was barely holding together. Need to watch these driveshafts, as when the retaining hex screw and the pins in the universal joints start backing up, they chew up other parts of the car as well.
    Headed out for a run, and heard a nasty grinding noise. Turns out the front bulkhead holding the diff was badly cracked and the diff was loose in the housing. So ordered up two more of those (one as a spare; everything I replace I replace with two, which seems to help keep downtime a little lower).

My uptime for this car is like 50%. I don't know what these reviews are that are saying the car is durable or reliable.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dimsdale View Post
    My uptime for this car is like 50%. I don't know what these reviews are that are saying the car is durable or reliable.
    You're probably going to get a little flamed for saying this, but I wanted to jump in now before that all begins to say that this has been my experience as well. Whenever I compare the condition of my full sized cars and bicycles to everyone else I think it's safe to say that I have a tendency to be easier on stuff than the vast majority of people. That's why I find it surprising that I can sometimes have such different experiences with RC durability than others. It's as if everyone else outside of Colorado are landing their vehicles onto fluffy pillows and roosting fairy dust.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by colbynobo View Post
    You're probably going to get a little flamed for saying this, but I wanted to jump in now before that all begins to say that this has been my experience as well. Whenever I compare the condition of my full sized cars and bicycles to everyone else I think it's safe to say that I have a tendency to be easier on stuff than the vast majority of people. That's why I find it surprising that I can sometimes have such different experiences with RC durability than others. It's as if everyone else outside of Colorado are landing their vehicles onto fluffy pillows and roosting fairy dust.
    Ha!

Well said. ĎThis works for me and your mileage may varyí makes for more chilled interactions for sure.

Maybe weather? It's a lot warmer in CA than CO. I'm not easy on my Maxx:

youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorRC22 View Post
    [/video]
    I don't want to jinx myself, but after installing the steel CVDs on the rear, I've done 4 full runs without snapping an axle! That's a record for me. These runs were all done with air temperatures in the low to mid 40s and I never jumped higher than 1 foot. If I manage to go more than 2 weeks without breakage I'll celebrate by launching over one of the medium jumps at my bashspot. Baby steps....

I don't want to jinx myself, but after installing the steel CVDs on the rear, I've done 4 full runs without snapping an axle! That's a record for me. These runs were all done with air temperatures in the low to mid 40s and I never jumped higher than 1 foot. If I manage to go more than 2 weeks without breakage I'll celebrate by launching over one of the medium jumps at my bashspot. Baby steps....
    They should last! I never run in temps colder than 50-55 deg, so that might explain it.

RC poster
    I broke two of the plastic driveshafts and they both came apart in the same place. The first time was on 3s and the second on 4s. Neither time involved a hard hit. They are definitely poorly designed for a car with this much power. I ended up getting the metal driveshafts made by GPM. I have had them for almost a month and as expected they have not broken. I am not thrilled with how heavy they are though. I feel that the added weight takes away a little bit of the punch during acceleration. I guess I should have just picked up the Traxxas steel CVDs.....

RC Enthusiast
    Or just get an erevo. Had my second front bulkhead (lower diff cover) break today. Don't even recall a major hit, just some brake induced flips on dirt. It's very exposed. A larger and stronger front skid plate would help.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorRC22 View Post

hey are you going to do a video with the wide kit?

Quote Originally Posted by Furfmonkey View Post
    hey are you going to do a video with the wide kit?
    I'm not going to get the wide kit, I don't feel I need it.