Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    RC Qualifier Rocketzx1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    395

    Must have basher upgrades

    Hey all. I picked up a second rustler VXL with the vxl3s system in it, and I plan on making it a basher. This will be my first 2wd basher and I plan on having lots of fun with it

    I already have new tires, aluminum caster blocks and rear carrier hubs, rpm camber links, aluminum shock caps for ultra shocks, rustler 4x4 extreme heavy duty drive shafts, and an rpm front bumper in my cart. Should I look to upgrade the a-arms now or wait till one breaks? What about shock towers, and some way to help protect the body from roll overs where the body posts are? Is there anything else I should be looking for?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Livermore, CA
    Posts
    419
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketzx1 View Post
    Hey all. I picked up a second rustler VXL with the vxl3s system in it, and I plan on making it a basher. This will be my first 2wd basher and I plan on having lots of fun with it

    I already have new tires, aluminum caster blocks and rear carrier hubs, rpm camber links, aluminum shock caps for ultra shocks, rustler 4x4 extreme heavy duty drive shafts, and an rpm front bumper in my cart. Should I look to upgrade the a-arms now or wait till one breaks? What about shock towers, and some way to help protect the body from roll overs where the body posts are? Is there anything else I should be looking for?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think you covered it all. Maybe get an rpm rear bumper, those are great. Stick with the stock a arms, I really like them over rpm arms. Don’t waste money on after market towers for bashing. Heavier oil and springs will help with body roll if using the outer most lower shock mount holes are not enough.

  3. #3
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    We-Go, Chicago, IL
    Posts
    2,908
    I'm building a Bandit from parts and have a Stampede that is a "long term project" (i.e......never done, even after 21 years). The Pede has a New Era (now defunct) aluminum front bulkhead, every pretty much RPM Chassis and Suspension part outside of the front bumper, ESC mount, and front bulkhead, although I am experimenting with their Pede/Slash 4x4 rear arms and carriers, running the RPM extra long Rusty/Pede front arms, 2wd Slash rear skid, trans with bumper, Proline Slash rear chassis brace (that's also discontinued) and the Slash 4x4 Ultimate Edition style GT-R Shocks. So far I have found my only current weak point is a wheel nut I need to replace on the left rear and the wheel it damaged.

    My Bandit is a parts build ( and at least 1/2 RPM parts as well) that is using almost all the same RPM parts and GT-R shocks as the Pede is, but I've also added their front bulkhead (planning on adding tungston putty to the openings in the bulkhead), Nitro Rustler front tower, rear motor guard for the bumper and the Slash 4x4 steering bellcrank assembly. Both are using the outter front hingepins for the original RC10 GT for king pins and Lundsford Titanium hinge pins on all but the rear arms on the Pede (got the screw pins there for now). I'm not a fan of any of the wide bumpers, they tend to give the vehicles a cheap toy R/C look and have gotten in the way on both my Pede, and the first Bandit I had, so the Bandit got a little factory bumper while the Pede eventually got the Monster Jam/Bigfoot front bumper, which was more for looks over the little original bumper than anything else.
    https://www.instagram.com/greenjeep1998/?hl=en

  4. #4
    RC Qualifier Rocketzx1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    I think you covered it all. Maybe get an rpm rear bumper, those are great. Stick with the stock a arms, I really like them over rpm arms. Donít waste money on after market towers for bashing. Heavier oil and springs will help with body roll if using the outer most lower shock mount holes are not enough.
    You donít like the rpm arms? Are they too bendy for the rustler? I bought an integy spring pack, cane all sorts of different stiffness springs so I should be good for spring tuning. As for oil, I have a bottle of 80wt Losi. Iím thinking that might be too thick, what do you think about 50wt?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Livermore, CA
    Posts
    419
    I donít like a arms that sag from just the car sitting there. The stock arms are very good to be frank and cheap.

    80 wt might be too thick for a lighter car like the rustler. I would start with 40 and go from there. But itís one of those things that feels different for everyone.

  6. #6
    RC Qualifier Rocketzx1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    I donít like a arms that sag from just the car sitting there. The stock arms are very good to be frank and cheap.

    80 wt might be too thick for a lighter car like the rustler. I would start with 40 and go from there. But itís one of those things that feels different for everyone.
    Yeah I was thinking maybe trying around 45-50 weight, I plan on going big air with this rustler.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    San Francisco CA
    Posts
    198
    Man, thats a lot of parts, even for a basher. You should be fine doing jumps, as long as you don't full send into a wall...
    Jumping: maneuver and pray it won't break.

  8. #8
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,555
    RPM wonít sag under the weight of a rustler. Mine didnít.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    RC Qualifier Rocketzx1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    395
    I just want to cover all the bases before I go crazy with the jumps, and have upgrades installed that would be able to take the abuse over stock parts. Any of you think I may need any other upgrades?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,555
    I really like the T-Bone rear Bumper. Itís saved me soooo much money.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    RC Qualifier Rocketzx1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    I really like the T-Bone rear Bumper. Itís saved me soooo much money.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Which one is it gripdog, I think they have a few for the rustler.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,555
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketzx1 View Post
    Which one is it gripdog, I think they have a few for the rustler.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    This is what run. I donít like wheelie bars personally


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    RC Qualifier Rocketzx1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post

    This is what run. I donít like wheelie bars personally


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I was looking at that one, looks really solid. And for a basher you donít need a wheelie bar, they stick out so far that they just get in the way. Iíll order one, thanks gripdog.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,555
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketzx1 View Post
    I was looking at that one, looks really solid. And for a basher you donít need a wheelie bar, they stick out so far that they just get in the way. Iíll order one, thanks gripdog.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Word. No problem, see Iím not always a jerk.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    RC Qualifier Rocketzx1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Word. No problem, see Iím not always a jerk.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I deserve that. And Iím not always a jerk too


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #16
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,555
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketzx1 View Post
    I deserve that. And Iím not always a jerk too


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No worries man. I do my best to be helpful, sometimes itís not timed or said properly.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  17. #17
    RC Qualifier Rocketzx1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    No worries man. I do my best to be helpful, sometimes itís not timed or said properly.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks gripdog


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •