RC Competitor

MAXX - gearing changes.

thought I would start this one off with what I have noticed in my gearing change and see if others want to post up about what they have found with their changes.

Stock gearing 24/50

my current gearing 22/50

what I found with this setup was a big surprise (full disclosure I am not running stock diff oils. I have 75w/100k/500k - front/mid/rear) I found that with the lower gearing I did loose a bit of top speed. but the control I gained was awesome. I struggled with the big power of the maxx. coming from a 3cell powered slash vxl that I can basically hold wide open with the slipper clutch setup the maxx was hard for me not to wheelie all day long and end up going so fast it was a bit out of control.

with the new lower gear setup I have so much more control I was out at the soccer field last night and absolutely teared up the grass until my orange truck was green. the new top speed wide open was about 72kmph instead of the stock 81kmph (read from telemetry not gps). I also gained about 5min of extra battery life. I used to get 20min out of my 5000mah bats with my style of driving and I got 25min out of one of my packs and 28 out of the other.

overall I am happy with this setup and will run it like this for awhile until I change my mind again.

thought it was worth a post since i see everyone gearing them up but not many talking about gearing them down.

RC Qualifier
    Excellent feedback mate. To me it seems the Maxx is geared out of the box for 3S, and 4S is insane. Now donít get me wrong, insane is great! but if you canít use all that top end speed, then gearing down trades something you canít use anyway, for all the benefits youíve just observed. Great stuff

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by BashedNotBeat View Post
    thought I would start this one off with what I have noticed in my gearing change and see if others want to post up about what they have found with their changes.

Stock gearing 24/50

my current gearing 22/50

what I found with this setup was a big surprise (full disclosure I am not running stock diff oils. I have 75w/100k/500k - front/mid/rear) I found that with the lower gearing I did loose a bit of top speed. but the control I gained was awesome. I struggled with the big power of the maxx. coming from a 3cell powered slash vxl that I can basically hold wide open with the slipper clutch setup the maxx was hard for me not to wheelie all day long and end up going so fast it was a bit out of control.

with the new lower gear setup I have so much more control I was out at the soccer field last night and absolutely teared up the grass until my orange truck was green. the new top speed wide open was about 72kmph instead of the stock 81kmph (read from telemetry not gps). I also gained about 5min of extra battery life. I used to get 20min out of my 5000mah bats with my style of driving and I got 25min out of one of my packs and 28 out of the other.

overall I am happy with this setup and will run it like this for awhile until I change my mind again.

thought it was worth a post since i see everyone gearing them up but not many talking about gearing them down.
    Thatís really good to hear , I was considering getting a low gear set up for this truck. I love ripping on 4S but it would be cool to be able to gear down , loosen up the suspension and do kinda of a fast crawler.., switching gearing with the pin set up is pretty fast yeah ?

RC Enthusiast
    Yes, very easy even for me as a first timer.
    In case you didn't know, leave the pinion nut loose until you get the motor 100% locked down, then tighten that last

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by dimsdale View Post
    Yes, very easy even for me as a first timer.
    In case you didn't know, leave the pinion nut loose until you get the motor 100% locked down, then tighten that last
    Nice , thanx for the heads up 🤙🏻

RC Competitor
    Yes it was very easy to use the pin setup. And yes boosts I agree I loved the insane speed but 9/10 times I didn’t need it just ended up slamming on the brakes. Now I use the extra torque to drift my maxx around instead of letting it flip over when I drive on grass.

RC poster
    The manual indicates a 26 / 46 gearing for higher speeds but there is no 26 tooth / 1 metric pitch gear? Was that a tease?

RC Champion
    GDS 1mod 5mm shaft
    RRP gears etc on eBay
    Stock tires will fail at higher speeds

Swell city

Stock ESC will higher temps
    Max6 for the fix
    fabricator